The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-04-2023, 06:16 PM

Default Bedroom Amp

I would like some advice on a good bedroom amp. Preferably battery powered as I know I have an electrical problem (long story) that caused drama with electric amps. I have a Yamaha tr5a but AA batteries are a pain in the rear. I am a new player since Christmas and just really want an amp to mess with especially when I play with my fingers which tends to be light touch. Or play with effects for fun. I am considering the Loudbox mini charge or the elite acoustics A1-4 or M26U. Are there other options? I think the Bose S1 or AER amps are overkill.
Breedlove Concert CE
Old 06-05-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodog256 View Post
I would like some advice on a good bedroom amp. Preferably battery powered as I know I have an electrical problem (long story) that caused drama with electric amps. I have a Yamaha tr5a but AA batteries are a pain in the rear. I am a new player since Christmas and just really want an amp to mess with especially when I play with my fingers which tends to be light touch. Or play with effects for fun. I am considering the Loudbox mini charge or the elite acoustics A1-4 or M26U. Are there other options? I think the Bose S1 or AER amps are overkill.
Go try out a Cube Street. Plug in or use a set of AA batteries which last for a LONG time.

The Cube Street is a great personal amp with dual 6-1/2" drivers and built in true stereo reverb and chorus. You may never need external effects given the Cube's excellent built in effects.
Old 06-05-2023, 07:44 AM

Spark Mini

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-05-2023, 07:37 PM

Something that has become popular around here is the Roland Mobile Cube . If you want to see something there is a YouTube video of a complete band running through one of these has reverb . Weighs 5 lbs about the size of little radio. They cost just over 200.00 new.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:24 PM

Spark Mini (Positive Grid), or Yamaha THR series amps. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker1 View Post
Something that has become popular around here is the Roland Mobile Cube . If you want to see something there is a YouTube video of a complete band running through one of these has reverb . Weighs 5 lbs about the size of little radio. They cost just over 200.00 new.
I can't believe I've never heard of that little amp. Looks interesting, and Sweetwater has it for $160. I'd love to test one out in the flesh.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodog256 View Post
What's painful about AA batteries? Do you know you can get rechargeable AA batteries and be done with amp shopping?

I have stuff with internal recharagble electrical storage too, hard to avoid avoid that these days -- but even at my age, I worry about how much stuff will become junk when the non-standard batteries no longer hold charge.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-06-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
What's painful about AA batteries? Do you know you can get rechargeable AA batteries and be done with amp shopping?

I have stuff with internal recharagble electrical storage too, hard to avoid avoid that these days -- but even at my age, I worry about how much stuff will become junk when the non-standard batteries no longer hold charge.

I have the rechargeable AA’s. But don’t like charging them. My house has a larger grounding electrical noise problem that I can only run on battery so I prefer to have a unit I can recharge.
Breedlove Concert CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification