The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2023, 12:09 PM

Default Fishman Matrix Infinity troubleshooting

So, for the first time in a little while, I actually plugged in my Baden guitar to test thinking I would use it for an open mic and all I was getting was a constant low A bass synth type LFO sound.

I've tried a number of 9V batteries and all the same result. I can slightly alter the pitch of the tone with the Scoop control but basically that's all I am getting.

I hope it's the piezo element that needs changing BUT...

I'm thinking it is probably a fault with the Pre-amp as it is very loud, but I don't have much experience of piezo pickups to be honest and I'm willing to be wrong on this, in fact it would be preferable as a piezo element is going to be a helluva lot cheaper than a pre-amp, especially a Matrix Infinity.

If I do have to swap out the preamp I was briefly toying with the idea of something else, possibly a Fishman Aura or something with a mic blend system but to be honest, I would probably rather save the money or possibly put it into electrifying my Cole-Clark FL1.

Any input on my bizarre output gratefully received...
Old 06-01-2023, 01:22 PM

Very good

Any chance the pickup connection has come un-seated/dislodged in the preamp? There’s not a lot to go wrong with that system unless you’re really making the effort.

Sounds like an earthing/grounding problem to me.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:00 PM

I thought I would try another pickup as I had one around and I plugged it in. Same difference. I put the piezo back in. Same. Took it out. Same. I'm guessing the problem is with the preamp but it could be a dodgy connection on the controls, I'm hoping. A short somewhere like an earth as you suggest is my best hope other than a faulty preamp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification