The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2023, 02:57 PM

Default Everse 8 Mic Feedback Issue

I'm a total know-nothing about amplification tech so I thought I'd see if anyone here can advise me. I bought an Everse 8 about a month ago and have used it both in practice and for several gigs. In all of those situations I've had this odd mic feedback issue, in which, when I move my body to the side of the mic, the speaker howls.

Due to the automatic feedback suppressor being on, if I let it howl for awhile, it will eventually stop. However, when I restart the Everse, it happens again. It only stops when the mic gain is so low that I have to eat it to get anything out of it equal to the guitar's volume. I'm wondering if I have to lower the guitar gain and then crank up the main volume, which I usually have at zero or less.

The setup used at the gigs is the same as in the video, including having walls close by on two sides.

I've never had this happen with my old SA220 or the 330x I replaced it with. The mic is a standard SM58 and is about 20 years old. It's annoying and especially so at a gig. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 05-31-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:51 AM

I've been very happy using an Everse 8 as a stand alone alternative to my full sound set up for a smaller setting, like a library. The phone app adds a great deal of control beyond what you can do just with knobs on the back of the speaker.

Your set up puzzles me. Using both the Everse 8 and 330x speakers at the same time like this doesn't offer any advantages, but could present a bunch of problems.

If you're interested using the Everse 8 by itself, here are some suggestions:

1) Place the speaker up on a speaker stand, perhaps 5 feet off to the side of where you're playing. If you have it on the floor, any audience members who aren't in the front row will not be hearing and direct upper frequencies. Also placing the speaker on the floor (or up against a back wall) boosts lower frequencies in way you might not want.

2) Make sure to start out with frequencies set flat, both on the overall main output, and on the individual mic inputs. Then adjust as needed. On mine, I leave the main output flat, but cut the lowest frequencies from my guitar and voice channels down around 80 Hz. From there on down there's more sonic mud than musical content, at least for my solo purposes.

3) Make sure you're using the phone app to its full capabilities, and not just relying on the direct settings with the knob on the back of the speaker. It's a powerful app... almost as good as a fully featured separate mixer.

Let us know what happens!
Old 06-01-2023, 08:56 AM

One more suggestion: Turn off any compression and digital effects and see if that helps clear things up. A little of these is usually better than more.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:32 PM

I'm not using the 330x in conjunction with Everse but I have tried feeding it the Everse's signal. That works well so far with just the guitar but for some reason not when I add the mic.

What I'm wondering about is why I get feedback when there was a no sound but only my placing my body close to the mic. It just occurred to me to make sure this effect doesn't occur when connected to the 330x.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 06-01-2023, 10:44 PM

Try to change the speaker placement. What I hear is a very distinctive feedback frequency, there must be a hump in the frequency response in your system around 160Hz that can be caused by reflections. Most probably by a surface about 1,1 or 2,2 meters from the speaker or even more likely by two surfaces in those distances. So please try to move the speaker away from the current position.
Of course, if you have the same feedback in different rooms, the placement may not be cause of the feedback.

Is the mic a Shure SM58? If you have access to another mic, try that. If a hump in the mics frequency response meets the one of the speaker you will have feedback issues.

If there is an EQ in the Evolves mixer try to pull down 160Hz (or something around this, I didn’t measure your feedback frequency, just judged it by my old ears).

I also hear overtones in the feedback so some distortion might be involved. I don’t know the Evolve but can you turn the gain down on the mic channel and the master volume up (if there is a master volume). Distortion also creates an uneven frequency response and therefore distorted signals are very prone to feedback.

I only have an iPad with me now, so the distortion may be from my little speakers as well.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 06-02-2023, 09:55 AM

If you are on Facebook I’d join one of the EV groups and ask. To me this sounds like something I’d contact EV about.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:58 AM

That is a bizarre issue. I have no idea without experiencing it in person.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like aliens to me. You didn't order this from the Roswell Guitar Center, did you?

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 06-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Change the position of the Everse... try placing it off to the side of you, angled slightly to cover the front of the stage area. Many times, changing the position/direction of a speaker, even slightly, can have huge impacts on the sound stability...

I would go so far as suggesting that you have the unit slightly behind you and off to the side, ~6-8 feet, and canted so it both covers the audience and gives you a good idea of how you sound.

Any time you have an amplified source close to the performer, you are inviting feedback issues!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 06-04-2023, 12:24 PM

Well I think I got rid of the feedback though I still don't get the physics of how it feeds back when there's no sound be made to set it off.

After moving the speaker around to no avail, I moved the mic further from the back wall and that helped - as long as the gain was not past a certain point - by a higher point than allowed by the earlier location. I then realized that all of the gigs I'd done with this amp were in a very small venue requiring the player to be backed into a hard-surfaced corner, just like the usual setup in my practice space. However, I've seen other musicians in that venue using several different speakers all with no feedback issues. While I often talk to musicians about their rig, for some reason I hardly ever ask about their mics; I think I will in future as that may possibly be part of the problem.

But again, I'd be interested to know how the feedback occurs in the absence of an initial sound.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 06-04-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
But again, I'd be interested to know how the feedback occurs in the absence of an initial sound.
In this case you have the combination of a resonance, an amplifier providing gain and noise.

Feedback starts with noise. It can be acoustic or electric. Noise is usually broadband, so it has content on every frequency… small amount of energy but non zero. Because your system has a resonance… for example room resonance (but it could be the main mode of an acoustic guitar or the resonance of the bass reflex event in your speaker…) one frequency will stand out… and be amplified by the speaker, then captured by the mic’ then amplified again, then captured, then amplified… etc making I’m the whole thing going woohooo
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification