The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2023, 10:52 PM

Default Bedside Table Amp?

No, really. Can someone recommend a small footprint, high quality amp that could literally sit on my bedside table? The deal is this…I sometimes use a Roland Cube in the bedroom to play along with backing tracks running through a Sonos system. Works ok, but the cube is hefty and has features I don’t need (extra channels, etc.). I will generally play my nylon string hybrid here and looking for decent clean sound (and maybe some onboard reverb). A small table sized unit sitting next to me could get the job done (and not disturb the wife’s fine sense of aesthetic order). Don’t need (nor want) battery option. Price not a real concern.
I’ve heard some great sound out of small Bluetooth speakers, but I’d like something purposed for guitar (if it exists).
Whatcha got guys?
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2023, 05:05 AM

Easy. Yamaha THR5a or the THR30IIA. They both have a modeling channel for nylon string. The 30 is bigger, has a mic jack too and has a rechargeable battery built in. The USB recording capabilities are fantastic with these. I recorded a song using a THR5 years ago and the unit works great as an interface. For listening to music, the units sound good. As an amp, as long as you're not trying to entertain 100+ people, they're great. For those cases, it is possible to DI out via the headphones jack (or the line out on the 30) to a larger PA/amp.
Old 05-21-2023, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the tip. I tried these out at guitar show when they first came out…they sound great. Looks like the 10 has features I’ll not need but the smaller may be the ticket.
Old 05-21-2023, 12:31 PM

The Positive Grid Spark GO or Mini are both excellent guitar amps (use one of the acoustic options) and Bluetooth speakers. The tiny GO is shockingly good and better than any other Bluetooth speaker I've tried of similar size.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-24-2023, 10:51 AM

Just stick with Roland. I use a Roland Mobile Cube AC.
Small 3-channel battery or ac-powered "boombox" amp.
It has reverb and chorus effects. Pretty loud for its size.
It would certainly do the job as a bedside table amp.
Although, it doesn't come with the power supply.
But it works with a One-Spot 9volt standard pedal power supply, or any 9volt (center negative) power supply.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c625--Com...c&gclsrc=3p.ds

Last edited by maxed; 05-24-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:55 AM

When I needed a small, unobtrusive acoustic amp to serve as a personal monitor at a large bluegrass jam, I took a $60 chance on the smallest one available. The Blackstar Fly Acoustic drives a thee-inch speaker with 6 AAs worth of raw power. It's enough to get the job done, but it works best at half volume, so that the acoustic sound is still prominent. It has a fair amount of sound shaping capability and you can add an extension speaker for single-channel "stereo."
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-25-2023, 07:47 AM

Try out the Spark Mini. I use it much more than my Yamaha THR series.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Try out the Spark Mini. I use it much more than my Yamaha THR series.
Why is that? Volume, features, tone?
Old 05-25-2023, 09:20 AM

Big fan of the Positive Grid Sparks

I have a 40, probably too much for what you want

the Mini is probably just what you're looking for

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-25-2023, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Why is that? Volume, features, tone?
I have a thr30ii and now a Spark Mini.

For me, tone wise and volume wise the thr30 is better. However the mini does pretty darn well at a lot less cost and a much smaller package.

Features wise for practice the mini has the integration with some pretty cool practice tools like the autojam etc that the thr doesn't.

If I didn't have the thr30 I would say I could do just fine with the mini for my own in house uses although for going to a jam with friends the extra oomph from the 30 is better. For the OP i would also recommend it as a bedroom amp (in fact that is where mine lives). I did buy a separate wireless setup for the mini as I do like that aspect of the thr better.

I liked the thr30 better than the Spark 40 though. Battery size and tone all favor the 30 in that comparison.

I prefer the mini tone to what I've heard from the 40.

Almost all of my use with it is based on silent acoustic or small acoustic guitar / guitalele amplification my electrics tend to just go to my full size amps.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:07 AM

My vote goes to the Roland Mobile Cube , as they said three channels the size of a small radio. There is a video on YouTube of an entire band running through one of these . They have a guitar , electric drums , bass guitar and a vocalist . Runs on AC or Plug . … Lots of the local musicians have these round here .
Old 05-27-2023, 08:08 PM

Thanks to all for your comments. For right now I’ll use the Cube Monitor I already own. It sounds pretty good and for effects I can get by with some good add on reverb. As luck would have it a friend cleaned out his guitar cabin and sent me some toys he used way back when he gigged regularly. Suppose I’ll have manage somehow using the Guyatone MR-2 Micro Reverb pedal that came in the box of goodies (poor poor pitiful me).

Thanks All,
Architar
Old 06-01-2023, 05:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architar View Post
No, really. Can someone recommend a small footprint, high quality amp that could literally sit on my bedside table? The deal is this…I sometimes use a Roland Cube in the bedroom to play along with backing tracks running through a Sonos system. Works ok, but the cube is hefty and has features I don’t need (extra channels, etc.). I will generally play my nylon string hybrid here and looking for decent clean sound (and maybe some onboard reverb). A small table sized unit sitting next to me could get the job done (and not disturb the wife’s fine sense of aesthetic order). Don’t need (nor want) battery option. Price not a real concern.
I’ve heard some great sound out of small Bluetooth speakers, but I’d like something purposed for guitar (if it exists).
Whatcha got guys?
Thanks!
Why don't you just find a pair of these to use as night tables. They double as stools!
https://reverb.com/item/43740463-gui...reat-condition

HE
Old 06-01-2023, 09:13 AM

Be still my beating heart…have never seen one of these before. Wonder how it sounds. If price were better I’d give it a shot!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification