The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-20-2023, 08:12 AM

Default Mitchels plate mate - does not deliver?

Hey guys,

itīs saturday. Last saturday I ordered a Plate Mate and payed via Paypal. No reaction. I sent a mail on tuesday and asked, if he received my order. He answered that I would get a mail via Paypal when he ships the unit.

I received no mail via Paypal yet. I asked him via mail when he would ship. No answer yet.

Is this guy still in business? Why doesnīt he ship the item or at least answer my mail? Put a plate mate into an envelope and send it to the customer is not rocket science.

Do you have similar experiences with Mitchel?

Thanks and cu

erniecaster

Last edited by srick; 05-20-2023 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Profanity
Old 05-20-2023, 10:13 AM

I have had good experience with the plate mate company for several guitars.. Sometimes a little slow to respond to emails but eventually he follows up. I can only assume it’s a part time one man operation. He recently made a custom bridge plate for me for a guitar with an unusual shaped bridge. I was very satisfied with the plate and customer service..
Old 05-20-2023, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
Hey guys,

itīs saturday. Last saturday I ordered a Plate Mate and payed via Paypal. No reaction. I sent a mail on tuesday and asked, if he received my order. He answered that I would get a mail via Paypal when he ships the unit.

I received no mail via Paypal yet. I asked him via mail when he would ship. No answer yet.

Is this guy still in business? Why doesnīt he ship the item or at least answer my mail? Put a plate mate into an envelope and send it to the customer is not rocket science.

Do you have similar experiences with Mitchel?

Thanks and cu

erniecaster
You paid with Paypal. If it isn't shipped in a reasonable time, file a claim through Paypal and you should get a refund. My experience is Paypal will side with the purchaser almost always, even when they shouldn't.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:46 AM

Hi,

you want an update? You got it - there is no update. I emailed him again and he again does not answer.

There are retailers out there that sell the Platemate. I concern to buy one of them and get my money via Paypal back.

This is so annoying.

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-24-2023, 12:58 PM

You are in luck, Ernie. Platemate is almost always the wrong solution to a problem.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:58 AM

Hi,

I did not receive any answer although I sent three more emails. Then I contacted Paypal and got my money back.

After that I got an email from "Mitchel" and he wrote "Checking, will get back asap". Oh boy.

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-27-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
You are in luck, Ernie. Platemate is almost always the wrong solution to a problem.

Why? Just curious as I was considering one myself, and it seems like it would be a great solution. Do they weigh a lot or something?
Old 05-28-2023, 10:46 AM

Brass is heavier than steel. If you insist on an overlay instead of a simple repair of the bridgeplate with CA glue and wood dust, a thin hardwood overlay is preferable to brass.
1/16" thick, 5/8" wide, by about 3" long is all you need.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:26 AM

One more update. Remember: I ordered, no reaction, I contacted Paypal and got my money back. Of course I told them before.

One day after that I purchased a PlateMate via ebay through a different seller.

Yesterday I received my PlateMate from Mitchells. I will get the other one in a few days, now I own two. Well, I sent PlateMate the money for this second one.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:07 PM

Default a thought

Now you have a second one. Case closed. The wages of ignoring a customer. I suspect the device cost its manufacturer no more than half a Euro (about 60 cents U.S.) to make, and I wouldn't be feeling too sorry for them.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:51 AM

Hi,

I paid the 23 $. My wife says itīs better for my Karma, whatever that means.

cu

erniecaster
Old 06-05-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
One more update. Remember: I ordered, no reaction, I contacted Paypal and got my money back. Of course I told them before.

One day after that I purchased a PlateMate via ebay through a different seller.

Yesterday I received my PlateMate from Mitchells. I will get the other one in a few days, now I own two. Well, I sent PlateMate the money for this second one.
Can you post photos of the plates? I use have used them in the past. Some have had very precise stamped holes/string notches, others had the string notches blended into the holes. Not sure why the difference in design.

Thanks,

Tommy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair