The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-02-2023, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default NRGD: Gold Tone Beard PBS

I've been wanting to learn something new and add some interesting sounds to my recording. This is a standard square neck GT Beard signature PBS. I was able to get it used for $600 and it seems quite fun, if challenging, to play. I think I'll have fun with this anyway! I'm trying to learn what I can through videos and online resources.20230331_231246.jpg
Old 04-02-2023, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

When I cried Uncle and sold my pedal steel, I bought a guitar just like yours and have been really happy with it. You won't do better unless the fat wallet comes out. The finger picks alone are a great challenge, along with the bar and learning to palm mute. The Beard Gold Tones have the Beard cones.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-06-2023, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

It really is quite an interesting instrument and although it's shaped like a guitar, it certainly is a totally different concept all together. Luckily, I am used to using finger picks and doing roll patterns from playing banjo, so that part doesn't bother me. However, getting the left hand/slide down is a challenge to say the least. At least it's a fun challenge though! I have some instructional material to help me along.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:22 PM

Those are great guitars….especially for the moderate cost involved. Congrats!

Roger
Old 04-15-2023, 10:47 AM

I bought a Gretsch square back last year as I was curious, spurred in part by playing with a great dobroist (I'm on bass in the band). Didn't take that long to wrap my head around it, but if you're not used to open tunings that can be confounding. I play fretless bass so the aspect of quickly finding a note and using some vibrator was fairly second nature.

Short story is I like it so much I ordered a Beard with a Hipshot. Got that last Sept, have done gigs playing that while singing. Great alternative to a traditional acoustic/archtop/electric guitar. It has its limitations (eg maj7 chords aren't easy), but it presents other options that are cool to explore and perform with. Enjoy!

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 04-18-2023, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

I do agree that it is taking a bit to get used to. I am familiar with using finger picks and rolls, but the left hand aspect is totally new to me.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I’m new to Square neck resonators having just made the transition from decades of traditional guitar due to Arthritis.

Here is the most important thing I have learned about using metal finger picks in my week and a half of playing a lap style slide guitar. When practicing in the morning don’t try to pick up your coffee cup with your right hand…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6473.jpg (47.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-10-2023, 01:37 PM

Congrats, that's a great looking Reso. I purchased an older Regal square-neck a while back and just love the sound of a resonator. Went to see Jerry Douglas at a small venue last year and was just blown away. I have to admit that I do struggle with finger/thumb picks. I ended getting a 1947 Gibson lap steel so I could play without finger picks, but still trying to get the hang of them. I've been using lessonswithtroy.com a lot and really enjoy his lessons.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I've been wanting to learn something new and add some interesting sounds to my recording. This is a standard square neck GT Beard signature PBS. I was able to get it used for $600 and it seems quite fun, if challenging, to play. I think I'll have fun with this anyway! I'm trying to learn what I can through videos and online resources.Attachment 90023
They're a blast. I'm on my third. Hoping my fourth will be my last.

I like Jimmy Heffernan's tutorials best.

One thing worth knowing: The rapid-fire banjo-like rolls are a relatively recent addition. The earlier styles are easier to get the hang of and sound great. For a beginner, they're a godsend.

And a tip: It's easy to get stuck in G or capoing so you're playing everything like its in G. Don't be lazy like me. If you can start learning your C scales, they're a good entry to all the other keys.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 11-10-2023 at 01:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments