The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-29-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Are wallets going the way of CDs??

I'm running out of "buts" in my quest to justify carrying a good old fashioned leather trifold wallet. Don't need cash. CCs all on the phone. (even cash is essentially in my phone now). our state is considering electronic IDs and drivers licenses. have 10,000 photos in my phone (and only 8 in my plastic fan display). There's only one thing I used to carry in my wallet that won't go into a phone (and I won't mention what that is), but as an old married man, that's now a moot point. Anyone else giving up the wallet all together?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-29-2023, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Not quite there, but definitely trending that way. I still need to carry my drivers license and health insurance card. And as many places as I can use my phone for debit/credit card and cash transactions, there are still some I can’t. There’s one grocery store I stop at pretty frequently that still doesn’t take Apple Pay. Not that many gas stations do yet. And most restaurants that serve you at the table still require a physical card. So I carry a really skinny little wallet with a drivers license, health insurance card, a debit and a credit card. And usually a couple $20s for emergency, but I don’t remember the last time I actually had to use cash. I’m guessing in 5-10 years wallets will be totally unnecessary, but I’ll be nearing the end of my life expectancy in ten years anyway, so I won’t be all that necessary myself.

-Ray
Old 01-29-2023, 10:32 AM

I still like to have some cash on me at all times and there are a few cards I need to so I still carry one. My wallet has gotten a lot thinner over the years though which is a good thing (George Costanza).
Old 01-29-2023, 10:36 AM

I have a Secrid Slimwallet, made in Holland. It holds and protects the few cards I use and is RFID/NFC protected. Very slim and compact, I haven't used cash in a very long time, but there is a billfold inside if I did.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-29-2023, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

I don't see going without a wallet in my future. Cash, debit card, medical cards, driver's license and misc business cards all need a place to hang out.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-29-2023, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

I’m old, it will never happen to me.

I would miss knowing I always had a spare pick with me, the one I carry in my wallet.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I don't lose things, as long as there are no more than three!
I long ago realised that I can't carry more than three things without losing something, so a couple of years ago I forsook my wallet.

I have a Samsung A21s (bit longer than some for some reason), and I bought a leather flip over wallet with room for my driving licence, five cards, and a slip for for notes.

It also has a zipped pocket in which I keep some business cards and a small card about my heart op which I was told to keep on me at all times, and my Covid jab details cards.

That, my keys and a 300m/l bottle of water (needed for my throat) is all I need.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:13 AM

No wallet for me. I carry a little cash, a credit card and a drivers license. That’s it.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I still carry. Thought I lost it once and panicked until I found it on the floor of my dark car left in a dark sketchy parking lot near my last job. Everyone (IMHO) should have a specific plan regarding what to do if a wallet should ever disappear. Replace cards, licenses, IDs, etc.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

In regards to the wallet I'm still old school I guess. My wife does everything on her phone. She still carries a purse though. I try to stay up with technology and I do use my phone for a lot of things like that, paying for coffee, flying I use my Delta App instead of a paper boarding pass, but I just have to have a backup in my wallet. I don't trust my phone. I have ditched the watch, the land line, the alarm clock, my day planner, and stuff like that. Give me a couple years, I'll get there.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-29-2023, 12:49 PM

Yes, wallets will go the way of CD’s. Some folks will continue to use the stuff that is held in a wallet for a variety of reasons, including privacy concerns (related to banks and tech companies getting too much info about you if all your spending is non-cash) and convenience (you can’t easily tip a busker or a bellman without cash), and hence will continue to carry a wallet.

I have doubts about whether everything will be accessible on a phone at some point in the future. Driver’s license and insurance cards, for example; I think there are some good reasons to have these remain as hard copies; and while phone designers and manufacturers can probably find a way around some of these issues, I don’t know if governments and large health care organizations will endorse such efforts and take advantage of such possibilities. But if you only want to carry your DL and your insurance cards and a bit of cash and a blank check, you won’t need a wallet….at least, not in a developed Western country. But what about all the places outside the US that aren’t as saturated with modern electronic gadgets? Or folks who live in modern countries but can’t afford high tech “conveniences”? After all, 30% of the world can’t get enough food.

I bet some (many?) folks will opt for smaller wallets, rather than abandoning them.

I like wallets and watches and other stuff that is becoming obsolete. So I will be a late adopter.

Last edited by buddyhu; 01-29-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I haven't carried a wallet in my back pocket since my first episode with lower back injury... the doc I was seeing just held out my wallet and asked me to imagine what, exactly that was doing to me to, sit on a lopsided lump whenever I sat - which was frequently - playing guitar, writing, reading...

Jettisoning that wallet didn't "fix" the problem, but at least I pulled one aggravating item from the equation!

I still have a billfold.wallet thing - but I only carry it in my shoulder bag or in my coat pocket, when necessary.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-29-2023, 01:19 PM

Nowhere near that mark. The only functional things I use my phone for are making calls and sending texts, taking pics of discounts in Publix (when you get to the cashier, they so often ring up the item without the discount!), and playing music via Bluetooth in my car. That's it, nada mas. I still keep in my wallet physical credit cards, bits of information, and cash. Yes, cash. I prefer to take out $X at the beginning of the week and pay my way through it with 20 dollar bills. That way, I have a keen sense of my outgoings. We pay bills either by cheque or in cash.

I suppose deep down I loathe the cell phone revolution. I loathe the sight of people constantly fiddling with them, gazing into them, and pulling them out on the slightest of pretexts. And to see someone rudely speaking on the phone or attempting to send texts whilst they're paying for groceries or attending to some other task makes me want to pull the bleddy thing from their mitts and throw it into the junk-food freezer!

Seriously though, 'new' may mean good, but it may not. I get the feeling that people either lack the imagination or inclination to think through where this dependence and addiction will lead. Yeah, yeah, I know people once complained about land-line telephones, TVs, and sliced bread, but I do think this is different. The cell phone is rapidly becoming an alternative reality without which we will soon no longer be able to function.

Have I digressed? Whoops, sorry!
Old 01-29-2023, 01:51 PM

I still carry the usual wallet stuff; cash, license, credit/debit cards, etc.. A lot of restaurants around here appreciate cash, and discount the bill for using it. I need my wallet, and probably will until the end. I've embraced digital music providers, but the wife still uses CDs... We don't need to discuss the giant wallet she carries.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:02 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Are you folks aware that there are late-night towing services that will only take cash? Yup. I carry a little dose of "mad money" cash in case of unexpected contingencies.

I still carry a wallet because there are still places that have physical ID requirements. Most places I go still require a physical charge card. You can tap, insert, or scan, but you need the card.

By law I have to carry my physical driver's license when I drive and I must also carry a proof of insurance when driving. Then there's my health insurance card.

Importantly, there's the discount card for my favorite Mexican restaurant.

Don't see it going the way of the dodo anytime soon.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic