The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-11-2022, 12:43 PM

Default Anyone winterize/summerize their own boat?

Getting a bit weary of the scheduling/paying for a mechanic to do it, and mechanics are becoming more in short supply these days as I think they're getting priced out of the Tahoe area. Anyone do this work themselves? Seems relatively easy, but so many different videos on YouTube about how to do it that I have my questions.

Big things to take away? Things which are optional?

The boat is stored in a shed in Lake Tahoe, where we get freezing weather from October to May. Would appreciate any tips, tricks, suggestions, or links to good instructions!

I'm not next to the boat right now, I don't know the exact engine model, etc.

The boat is a 90s Reinell 18-foot runabout.

Old 10-11-2022, 01:13 PM

My boat is rather easy to winterize and it is stored in a pest controlled, non-heated building.

I simply ensure there is no water hiding anywhere
Clean it up real good
If there is any fuel left in the tank, I treat it with Stabil
I take the plugs out, spray Stabil fogger into the cylinders
As much as it is a pain, I remove the batteries and keep them in my warm basement, trickle charging them from time to time so they are fresh for Spring
I also grease the wheel bearings and all linkages/parts with zircs.
If an oil change is due, I wait until spring after I fire it up and burn off the fogger. That includes the motor (4-stroke) and lower unit.
Cover it with a custom fit, winching cover and let her sit from Nov 1st to March 1st.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 10-11-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Getting a bit weary of the scheduling/paying for a mechanic to do it, and mechanics are becoming more in short supply these days as I think they're getting priced out of the Tahoe area. Anyone do this work themselves? Seems relatively easy, but so many different videos on YouTube about how to do it that I have my questions.

Big things to take away? Things which are optional?

The boat is stored in a shed in Lake Tahoe, where we get freezing weather from October to May. Would appreciate any tips, tricks, suggestions, or links to good instructions!

I'm not next to the boat right now, I don't know the exact engine model, etc.

The boat is a 90s Reinell 18-foot runabout.

Not anymore where there is coolant or anti-freeze, still but yes for the cabin where I drain and fill before turning off. The concept was getting anything that would freeze solid out. I bet YouTube or TikTok has a modern tutorial.

For antique cars I'd take out spark plugs and lube cylinders but didn't worry so much with modern engines. I would never leave the batteries in.

I'm smiling because we are at a far more simpler mode now, and you reminded me of the work (and 1-2 cars I want to sell before snow falls). Last summer we just rented a motorboat and will do that going forward! Something easier said now that we are at empty nest status and my mom past age 90.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2022, 06:53 AM

My boat is at the South Jersey shore. During the Summer it’s stored and launched from a boatel. I love my dealer…great people, responsive and the fees are appropriate.

I refuse to do my own engine/systems maintenance. Being a technical knuckle head aside, there’s too much money in this thing for me to mess with it. Better left to the pros. And I never shortchange regular maintenance and winterization/Spring commissioning.

Having said that I love to do all the cosmetic cleaning and maintenance. It’s mind numbingly satisfying. She’s always the shiniest girl on the water.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:28 AM

Thanks for the thoughts, folks. Heading up tomorrow to attempt it.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:18 AM

I've had a 19 foot Searay Skiray with a 175 Mercruiser V6 2-stroke outboard for the past 29 years. I've always kept it in my garage when not out on the water. Every time I fill up the tank I add Stabil, so I do nothing to winterize. Just put a charger on the battery once every 2 to 3 months.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:28 AM

Not a boat, but a very similar winterization. Drain all the water, especially the hot water heater, have anti-freeze run thru the lines. A ton of mouse deterrent bags placed everywhere inside. Cover the wheels and entire trailer with breathable cover. Plastic bag the seven pin socket. Say goodnight till mid March.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Not a boat, but a very similar winterization. Drain all the water, especially the hot water heater, have anti-freeze run thru the lines. A ton of mouse deterrent bags placed everywhere inside. Cover the wheels and entire trailer with breathable cover. Plastic bag the seven pin socket. Say goodnight till mid March.

On my 25' vintage Airstream which I store outdoors year round I drain all tanks then blow the lines, pump and fixtures out with my air compressor set around 25 psi. I do the same thing with my yard sprinkler system. You dont have to get every last drop of water out. I pour about a cup of 50/50 antifreeze down each trap (kitchen sinks, bathroom sink, shower) and in the toilet bowl. I also keep the two Group 31 flooded lead acid batteries connected with the trailer plugged in to my 30 amp 120 VAC outlet. The smart charger/converter keeps them in great shape. No one ever covers an Airstream. Just wash and Walbernize.

It sometimes gets below 0 F here. I've been doing this for about 10 years, never a freeze problem.

Are you from NM or is that just the Jayco stock graphic?
Old 10-14-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Are you from NM or is that just the Jayco stock graphic?

No, not Jayco graphics, Mandobart. All appliqués and transfers are from me. Anywhere we travel I am questioned about that and have been known to say it was a special Kokopelli Edition.

I have a special affection for the American southwest, and this little trailer was my homage to a people and place I hold dear.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Dirk,

I do, but it is a diesel engine sailboat, so not directly transferable to your situation. Looks like you have a stern drive or inboard/outboard (inboard engine with an outboard style lower unit).

The concept is get the water out and the antifreeze in. Make sure you know the difference between the kind of antifreeze used in the engine's internal cooling system (green or yellow and toxic and mixed with water) and the stuff you run through the raw water side in the winter (pink or purple, non toxic, pour straight from the bottle into the raw water intake). Run engine until it comes out the exhaust without any sign of being diluted by water and then shut it down for the winter. My boat has a water lift muffler that needs to fill up with it so I use 2 or 3 gallons to be safe. You might get away with less. The non toxic stuff is color coded for varying temperatures, and can also be used in fresh water systems if you have one.

Lots of different opinions on whether to leave the fuel tank full or as close as possible to empty. I keep the diesel topped off or nearly so (allowing for expansion when it gets warm in the spring), but when I had an inboard power boat I tried to run it close to dry. Either way, the suggestion to use stabil or similar is a good one. Even better try to find some gas without ethanol in it.

Hiring a "pro" is no guarantee of a good result. I've done it both ways and have seen mistakes made both ways. Kind of like setting up a guitar, I guess
Old 10-14-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
No, not Jayco graphics, Mandobart. All appliqués and transfers are from me. Anywhere we travel I am questioned about that and have been known to say it was a special Kokopelli Edition.

I have a special affection for the American southwest, and this little trailer was my homage to a people and place I hold dear.

Neat designs. It was the Zia Sun that caught my eye (featured in a simpler layout on the state flag). I grew up in northern New Mexico - my family's been there for many generations. For a variety of reasons I now live in the Pacific Northwest.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Neat designs. It was the Zia Sun that caught my eye (featured in a simpler layout on the state flag). I grew up in northern New Mexico - my family's been there for many generations. For a variety of reasons I now live in the Pacific Northwest.
Anywhere near Glennwillow? Do you know him from the forum? I wish he and I lived near each other. His recording acumen, both visual and aural is top notch!

frank d.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Anywhere near Glennwillow? Do you know him from the forum? I wish he and I lived near each other. His recording acumen, both visual and aural is top notch!

frank d.
Yes Glenn's great. We share a similar professional background. I think he's on the coast. I'm clear across the mountains, on the nevergreen side. It's honest to God desert. Rains and typically snows way more in NM than in eastern Washington.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes Glenn's great. We share a similar professional background. I think he's on the coast. I'm clear across the mountains, on the nevergreen side. It's honest to God desert. Rains and typically snows way more in NM than in eastern Washington.
Who would have ever guessed that was your weather pattern and topography! I’m shocked learning this. I would not be a good “Jeopardy” contestant, that’s for sure.😹
fd
Old 10-14-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Dirk,

I do, but it is a diesel engine sailboat, so not directly transferable to your situation. Looks like you have a stern drive or inboard/outboard (inboard engine with an outboard style lower unit).

The concept is get the water out and the antifreeze in. Make sure you know the difference between the kind of antifreeze used in the engine's internal cooling system (green or yellow and toxic and mixed with water) and the stuff you run through the raw water side in the winter (pink or purple, non toxic, pour straight from the bottle into the raw water intake). Run engine until it comes out the exhaust without any sign of being diluted by water and then shut it down for the winter. My boat has a water lift muffler that needs to fill up with it so I use 2 or 3 gallons to be safe. You might get away with less. The non toxic stuff is color coded for varying temperatures, and can also be used in fresh water systems if you have one.

Lots of different opinions on whether to leave the fuel tank full or as close as possible to empty. I keep the diesel topped off or nearly so (allowing for expansion when it gets warm in the spring), but when I had an inboard power boat I tried to run it close to dry. Either way, the suggestion to use stabil or similar is a good one. Even better try to find some gas without ethanol in it.

Hiring a "pro" is no guarantee of a good result. I've done it both ways and have seen mistakes made both ways. Kind of like setting up a guitar, I guess
Thanks a lot Bob, I appreciate the advice and detailed post!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic