The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-11-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
the octave mandolins sounds a bit too much like my 12 string.
If that's the kind I think it is it wouldn't be the first one to be converted to an archtop guitar. AFAIK you can test that conversion by changing just the saddle and the nut.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 07-11-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I’ve played guitar for many years. Last Fall I thought I’d branch out and I bought a mandolin and an octave mandolin. After some initial enthusiasm, the mandolin just isn’t doing it for me like I’d hoped and the octave mandolins sounds a bit too much like my 12 string. So both are just sitting in the corner. My point is, try whatever instrument you want to buy as much as possible before you jump in.

One additional thought. Perhaps a 12 string kept in an alternate/open tuning. Different sound and nice wide fretboard.
Yeah that’s nail-on-the-head as to how I feel, too. I have a mandolin and some ability with it, or so I’m told, but it’s not got enough bottom end (of course) — it feels like it’s ‘over’ my voice, rather than my voice is in the mix of the instrument.

I’m quite a full-range player, my guitar is my band, if that makes sense, you get an idea from these:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=649408
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=649411

So I’ve decided to commission a baritone 12 string in November (if I can save enough to afford it) and also going to pick up a Hora-made Guitar-zouki to see how I like that, it’s pretty cheap and I’ll see how I find it.

I think a baritone 12 will be quite interesting to experiment with tunings.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-11-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
If that's the kind I think it is it wouldn't be the first one to be converted to an archtop guitar. AFAIK you can test that conversion by changing just the saddle and the nut.
That sounds like a cool instrument, itself!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments