The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-06-2023, 09:43 AM

Default Best super, super cheap DI/preamp

Yes cheap because I rarely (if ever) use one so it is mainly for my home use. I still don't have an actual acoustic amp although I have a couple regular amps with various acoustic amp simulations that could work.

Anyway here is a bunch of them from super super super cheap to cheap. Feel free to include others

Behringer AD121 (I use the version made for bass and I thought it worked OK but so was sooooo flimsy. One of the knobs stopped working at most points so I had to tape it down at a spot that worked.)

Caline CP-37 or CP-40 and a host of similar pedals and brands from Joyo, et al

Boss AD-2 (I like having the more or less reverb effect)

Acoustic APDI

There is also a Nux unit but frankly I really don't want to pay more than about $100 for something, as I said, I will likely use very little.

Thanks
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-06-2023, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Yes cheap because I rarely (if ever) use one so it is mainly for my home use. I still don't have an actual acoustic amp although I have a couple regular amps with various acoustic amp simulations that could work.

Anyway here is a bunch of them from super super super cheap to cheap. Feel free to include others

Behringer AD121 (I use the version made for bass and I thought it worked OK but so was sooooo flimsy. One of the knobs stopped working at most points so I had to tape it down at a spot that worked.)

Caline CP-37 or CP-40 and a host of similar pedals and brands from Joyo, et al

Boss AD-2 (I like having the more or less reverb effect)

Acoustic APDI

There is also a Nux unit but frankly I really don't want to pay more than about $100 for something, as I said, I will likely use very little.

Thanks
Hi Ralph, out of the ones you describe, I've tried the Behringer AD21 and the Boss AD2 and honestly I preferred the Behringer. For me, it had a lot more flexibility than the Boss. No experience with the others.

FYI The Acoustic APDI is a 79.99 today as the Stupid deal of the day at MF

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-06-2023, 02:16 PM

I've been using the Behringer ADI for years.
I don't know why yours is flimsy. Mine is not.
I only use mine to turn a cheap piezo into sweet honey.
I like mine.
Old 06-06-2023, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar_Joe View Post
I've been using the Behringer ADI for years.
I don't know why yours is flimsy. Mine is not.
I only use mine to turn a cheap piezo into sweet honey.
I like mine.
Hi BC Joe
Behringer ADI21 - mine is 9 yrs old. It's a great loaner unit when someone who has a pickup but not preamp shows up for gigs.

It's a great little unit. Step on the pedal, turn both the level and blend all the way to the right, set the tone and go!

Sweetwater is a main source on Behringer equipment in USA and it's $39 from them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-06-2023, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Behringer ADI21 - mine is 9 yrs old..... It's a great little unit. Step on the pedal, turn both the level and blend all the way to the right, set the tone and go!

Sweetwater is a main source on Behringer equipment in USA and it's $39 from them.
I just picked up one of these from Sweetwater. Can't beat it for 39 bucks. Works great.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 06-06-2023, 09:16 PM

Again I've never tried the AD121 but the BD121 (and I think there is or was one for electric guitars too) just had those wonky controls. It worked swell when it worked but all of the controls felt like something on a kid's toy ... so I'm still leery of another one.

I am surprised I haven't gotten one vote really for the Boss unit. I did some research here on the forum and the reviews were very good I thought.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-06-2023, 09:30 PM

I have an AD-2 connected to my home PA and like it. If I’m using a preamp at home, that’s the one I use. It’s simple and effective. I also use the Behringer BD21 and don’t find it flimsy at all. I use it to record direct bass parts on my recordings. It’s surprisingly good sounding and I have no problem dialing in a decent tone. I’d imagine that the AD21 is very similar. They certainly aren’t the best, but I can’t imagine a better value than the Behringer units.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Again I've never tried the AD121 but the BD121 (and I think there is or was one for electric guitars too) just had those wonky controls. It worked swell when it worked but all of the controls felt like something on a kid's toy ... so I'm still leery of another one.

I am surprised I haven't gotten one vote really for the Boss unit. I did some research here on the forum and the reviews were very good I thought.
Hi Ralph…
The Boss AD2 has nonsensical control names, no XLR output, and though it has a notch adjustment, it's for feedback control, not tone control. Who knows what 'Ambience' means? And it is 3 times as expensive as the Behringer ADI21.

You asked for super inexpensive and good quality. The ADI21 has Three way tone control with adjustable mids, and a 20db pad. It also has simultaneous ¼" and XLR out, plus ground lift. For $40 USD that more than delivers on what you asked for.

The controls are plainly labeled, and the unit is rugged and works like a champ. If you like the 'Ambience' of the Boss better, it probably counters piezo quack and feedback.

When I'm in the heat-of-battle (at a gig), I do better with simple labels and controls which I know what I'm changing more specifically.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-07-2023, 08:45 AM

I've called my Sweetwater "guy" to order the AD121.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-07-2023, 09:09 AM

You’ll not go too far wrong.

I had the ADI21 years ago and when it went missing I bought another, not because I use it myself but it can be a decent problem solver to have in the bag. The killer features are the high input impedance, the swept mid EQ and the balanced output.

It doesn’t sound nice, the top end is a bit harsh and the lower end lacks clarity compared to some of my other toys but they cost more and none of them are perfect either. I don’t know why the “tube blend” is included, it doesn’t sound anything like a tube effect and takes away rather than adds anything but I’ve heard people say they like it so - horses/courses. Tone problems are really only apparent when you’re working with bigger PA systems, an acoustic amp or Bose s1 won’t show up the flaws in any fatal way.

Bottom line, I replaced it once so that’s a vote of confidence, I probably wouldn’t again because things have moved on.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:57 AM

I bought the Behringer unit a bit over a year ago and it does all I have asked out of it. Takes a bit of fiddling with the knobs to get it just right for my ears. I bought it to use at church and liked it enough to get another for home. Cheap enough at $39.00. Since then, I bought a Zoom AC3 that I like much better. More knobs to twist but I kind of set it and forget it. But $300.00 vs $39.00. I've bought a lot of Behringer products and find them suitable for my needs. "Not a professional applies here". I buy a unit for church and another for home so they don't travel far...lol...
Martin DM16
Epi Sheraton
Gretsch G2410TG
Gretsch Electromatic 12
Old 06-08-2023, 07:27 AM

Behringer ordered. Arriving Saturday. Thanks all.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-10-2023, 11:09 AM

I got it a few minutes ago. I will test it probably tomorrow. Again, thanks for the comments.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 06-14-2023, 08:31 AM

Another vote for the Beringher ADI21. I've had mine for a couple of years.

Recently, I tried upgrading to the Behringer ADPI on a "Stupid Deal" but, I returned it because, at least IMO, it really didn't perform any better than the ADI21.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-14-2023, 09:16 AM

OK I tested the AD121. The build quality is a LOT better than that of my somewhat defective BD121. the one with one pretty much useless control and the other ones flop around like stranded fish. The controls here are much sturdier.

As for the unit itself ... it works but I miss having a dedicated feedback control although I don't know how well such a control actually works. I do like the EQ and it does have that separate mid control to fine tune the sound to perhaps cut down on feedback. As the manual said the tube emulated control needs to be maxed out. With it on 10 and off I noticed just a small improvement. But on my BD121 essentially the some control produced I thought a noticeably better sound.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification