The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-03-2023, 03:29 PM

Default Squier Affinity Series Telecaster

Hey ya folks. So I'd rather be playing my martin but I have a health condition where vibration makes my tinnitus worse. I was just going to get a MIM Tele as they are only 500 bucks used but Im not sure I will be able to use it. Also I wont be using any of the electronics really. I just want something for playability and keep practicing. Is the Squier Affinity Series Telecaster ok?
If anything I might get a mini tube amp to color the sound but its not going to be a rocken.
Please feel free to give advice or even another guitar, thanks!
Old 06-03-2023, 04:48 PM

For the money difference I would opt for the Squier CV 50 Tele.
Helluva’ guitar.
That being said, the Affinity will likely get the job done.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-03-2023, 04:57 PM

Get a CV Squier and don't look back. No comparison to the Affinity. Also the Affinity necks are way skinny.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 06-03-2023, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Agreed with my previous friends response. You can’t go wrong with the CV line. If you really want a Fender scour your local CL/FB Marketplace. There are some great deals on standard MIM Teles that pop up. You just have to be diligent...and quick!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 06-03-2023, 08:27 PM

I have an Affinity tele and it's unremarkable, but fine. No regrets.

But I don't think we can have this conversation without prices. How much is the Affinity tele? I see them new at Sweetwater for $250 and there are probably a lot of other options around that price point.

(I was lucky enough to get mine when they were $140!)
Old 06-03-2023, 08:38 PM

Ok thanks. Looks like the classic vibe 50 uses a pine body, the 60 is synthetic and the 70 poplar.
Actually I was looking at the contemporary which has a unique roasted neck (thanksgiving?). Like burning a spear made it harder Im interested in that.
Thats made of poplar which seems like its low sustain, vibrates less which Im looking for. I found a contemporary for $350 (open box) and the CV 50's are the price of a mim tele, both used.
It seems a lot of the money is in the electronics which I don't need. Like my guitar shop said its all about the neck its the most important part. I almost think I should hold out and like someone just said find a good deal of facebook or CL. Reverb!

Its funny going from exotic woods of acoustic guitars to junk wood but its not by choice.

Last edited by waveform; 06-03-2023 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-04-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Ok thanks. Looks like the classic vibe 50 uses a pine body, the 60 is synthetic and the 70 poplar.
Actually I was looking at the contemporary which has a unique roasted neck (thanksgiving?). Like burning a spear made it harder Im interested in that.
Thats made of poplar which seems like its low sustain, vibrates less which Im looking for. I found a contemporary for $350 (open box) and the CV 50's are the price of a mim tele, both used.
It seems a lot of the money is in the electronics which I don't need. Like my guitar shop said its all about the neck its the most important part. I almost think I should hold out and like someone just said find a good deal of facebook or CL. Reverb!

Its funny going from exotic woods of acoustic guitars to junk wood but its not by choice.
I think you are off base calling any of the Squier CV's "junk wood". Also, what do you mean when you say the "60 is synthetic"? It's nato wood. A perfectly good wood for an electric solidbody. Over the years the specs have changed for the woods used. I actually far prefer the ones from ten years ago or so.

As a guy who has owned a ton of Tele's through the years I'll say the the CV line of Tele's are as good as the MIM Std line.

Lastly, forget about what body wood is used. Just find one that plays and sounds good.
Pono 0000-30DC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
Tele's and Strats
1972 Deluxe Reverb
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Old 06-04-2023, 08:10 AM

I just meant next to rose wood, mahogany etc poplar is a junk wood. You wouldnt even use it in your wood stove. Im not saying the guitar is junk just the wood used to create these ones are. Ok I thought Nato was synthetic.
I love my martin's synthetic fretboard.

Ok you you guys's advice paid off, found a mim black tele for 450 on facebook marketplace which I think I'll go for. I think they are ash which is a hardwood. Not sure if its a good tone wood but Im just looking for a guitar that vibrates the least.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
I just meant next to rose wood, mahogany etc poplar is a junk wood. You wouldnt even use it in your wood stove. Im not saying the guitar is junk just the wood used to create these ones are. Ok I thought Nato was synthetic.
I love my martin's synthetic fretboard.

Ok you you guys's advice paid off, found a mim black tele for 450 on facebook marketplace which I think I'll go for. I think they are ash which is a hardwood. Not sure if its a good tone wood but Im just looking for a guitar that vibrates the least.
I had a MIM Std. Black tele which I sanded down to refinish. It was the worst load of junk body I've ever seen. Multiple pieces with a thin veneer. Absolutely junk! You are worrying way too much about the body wood. Remember the first Tele's were pine. Ash was considered scrap wood back in the early 50's. Poplar is a great wood for a body. I think you have it all wrong in your perceptions.
Pono 0000-30DC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
Tele's and Strats
1972 Deluxe Reverb
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Old 06-04-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I had a MIM Std. Black tele which I sanded down to refinish. It was the worst load of junk body I've ever seen. Multiple pieces with a thin veneer. Absolutely junk! You are worrying way too much about the body wood. Remember the first Tele's were pine. Ash was considered scrap wood back in the early 50's. Poplar is a great wood for a body. I think you have it all wrong in your perceptions.
You didn't read my previous post, I'm talking about the wood itself. I just think its funny you go from exotic woods like brazilian rose Wood in an acoustic guitar to junk wood like poplar in an electric. You got it wrong Im not looking for the nicest wood Im looking for the one that vibrates the least and that the poplar might on the CV 50. A fire roasted maple neck on a 350 dollar guitar is cool cause its the same price as any other, not an ebony one that would cost thousands.
I'm really poor so I have to think a lot, thinking is good and I already said I was getting a mim. Its 1/3 more the cost of the Affinity which although one member said they really like and to go with the CV 50 but its 400 or a little less maybe so go with the mim. 5 or so post I figured out to get and I think thats pretty good, members been super helpful in me making my decision, thanks all.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

If the MIM tele deal doesn't work out for you, you might want to consider a hollow body or semi-hollow body. You may find that the body resonates less than some solid body guitars . . . or maybe not. But it might be worth checking into.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:43 PM

^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^
Old 06-05-2023, 08:00 PM

I was thinking of a thinline but I thought it uses the body to resonate to get part of its sound.
I have one of the most obscure conditions Im hoping the telecaster will vibrate less enough so I can play, going to use ultra lights. Most people might not realize it but acoustic vibrates like crazy.

Ordered a 2022 mim today. Mexico has been making guitars for like 500 years.

Now on to fixing my kit built 5 watt tube amp which I hope will give it a good sound, played low of course. You all up sold me to a guitar twice as much, thanks! And its made of alder which is an amazing wood to smoke with so if it doesn't work out, well..

Last edited by waveform; 06-05-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 08:06 PM

Salmon smoked with maple and telecaster chunks? Unconventional, but I'll allow it.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:30 PM

If you going to smash your guitar on stage why not. The show would have to be incredibly long 12 hours to 24. Maples good but the alder, wow. They use in in the northwest. Get the black cod smoked with alder, Fulton fish market Seattle,
https://fultonfishmarket.com/
Its sucks I just realized by going electric Im going to have to leave the acoustic guitar forum, one of the best on the web. Every one is so nice and helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars