The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2023, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Acus and/or Udo Roesner Amps

Looking for some impressions of the Acus and Udo amp offerings.

I use a K&K pickup so am particularly concerned that the inputs are suitable for the K&K output. I generally don't use a pre.

Looking for the best fidelity and simple design.

Also... does anyone know of a USA dealer for these amps?
Old 05-25-2023, 12:47 PM

Guitar Sanctuary in Texas. Great customer service. They are dealers for both. Bought my Udo from them. Happy
Old 05-25-2023, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I bought my da Capo 75 from Artisan Guitars in Nashville. (Then, I think they moved since)

I have an OM-21, Maton, and Eastman PC dred with K&Ks installed, that I play through it. I typically use a fishman Tone DEQ, but have also plugged in straight, and have been happy. I do prefer the Udo over my fishmans, for guitar. Vocals are a wash. Had mine about 3 years with no problems. Mine was one of the NAMM units before they were available in retail.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-26-2023, 06:39 AM

I used to have an acus one 8 and plugged in a k&k pickup with no problem. The best amp I ever owned. Had to sell it for financial reasons.

I just looked at the acus manual and it has an impedance of 470k ohms, so not quite what a k and k needs (1M ohms I believe). Funnily enough my current prodipe natural 6 (very similar in look and features to the acus) has an ideal impedance (1Mohm) but doesn't sound that great with the k&k- I feel it needs some sort of preamp.

Not sure I've been very helpful, but my experience is that Acus have a very natural sound (far better than an AER compact 60).

Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 06-05-2023, 12:03 AM

I 've been using a Udo Rösner De Capo 75 for a while now and pretty satisfiedwith it. Works well on my vocals and Maton Messiah. sometimes put my Mod audio Dwarf between them for some fun with compressors ond other reverb/delay effects but 95% of the time, the right amount of reverb on the DA Capo is good enough
Old 06-05-2023, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone know if the input impedance on the De Capo is suitable for the K&K pure mini?
Old 06-05-2023, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Smile I will check

I’ve got an amp shoot out going on in my music room right now anyway…

I will plug my KNK straight into my Udo and report soon.

By the way, I like the Udo a lot. I have used it twice at gigs, and it filled a medium-size room quite nicely. And, I realized I need more inputs so mine is for sale…. Sigh. See my signature

Cheers.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 07-01-2023 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post
Does anyone know if the input impedance on the De Capo is suitable for the K&K pure mini?
The Da Capo has input impedance of 2,2 MΩ, which is the same as in AER Compact 60.
So a K&K Pure Mini pickup should be fine straight into these amps.
Old 06-05-2023, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Smile Works Fine

My KK direct into my daCapo sounds fine to me. Perhaps a bit more detailed thru my TC Harmony G XT. Volume about the same with the HG guitar volume set to the middle detent. So it could definitely get louder thru the HGXT, but I would need to have the amp a long way away for me to get it real loud.

I do wish the Udo had a mute button. But I have one on the HG. Nice preamps in the HG.

Lots of volume direct with the amp half way up and the channel 1/4th up. I can’t get it louder in my small music room. But at a gig with room to stretch out, I expect it will kick some Butter. Haha

I find a persistent high end feedback ring until I turn the Udo highs almost off. But it still sounds nice and bright. I expect the highs would help at a noisy gig but you might need some space between the mic and the amp.
Only Selling it as I need more channels….
Hope this helps

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 07-01-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback (pun intended).

The Grace Design Felix or Alix has been recommended in between my K&K and the Udo. Pretty pricy pre and maybe overkill? Still, I want a no compromise solution that achieves the best fidelity with the least amount of feedback/ringing. Not sure if the Grace will cut down on the feedback concern?
Old 06-07-2023, 09:52 AM

I have been using the Grace Alix or the Sunnaudio preamps between guitar and DaCapo 75 for a couple of years. No feedback issues. Those two preamps allow for granular eq control, and fb can be dialed out very easily. You could also try using the HPF on the Udo for fb control, but I have yet to need. I run the Udo eq flat and let the Alix/Sunnaudio do the eq heavy lifting. YMMV
Old 06-16-2023, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post
Thanks for the feedback (pun intended).

The Grace Design Felix or Alix has been recommended in between my K&K and the Udo. Pretty pricy pre and maybe overkill? Still, I want a no compromise solution that achieves the best fidelity with the least amount of feedback/ringing. Not sure if the Grace will cut down on the feedback concern?
Hello JT,

I use a Felix 2 with the Udo. You can shape the sound any way you like using this combo. I have one guitar that has the K&K and it sounds great!

Regards,
Bill
Old 06-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Bill.

How are the feedback characteristics with this setup?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification