The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-26-2023, 06:52 AM

Default Martin LX1e gap between neck and top

Hello

I am new to the forum but I have a question which I think you may be able to help me with. I recently bought this Martin little guitar with pickup

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Po...usp=share_link

I noticed a rather ugly gap, as shown in the photo, where I imagine the edge of the top was incorrectly shaped so there is a hole where neck and top aren't flush. I have never seen this on any other acoustic I have seen or owned

So I think think this is a quality control issue, accepted playability is probably not affected. The 'Martin certified luthier' from shop who sent me the guitar say it is normal for this Martin model (?!) But it goes against my other Martin purchases of a guitar and two ukuleles which were perfect!.

Anecdotely the first little Martin the shop sent me was unplayable as the high E was cut too low creating a sitar sound!

Please let me know your views of maybe if you have this same gap in your neck

cheers

Jeff
Old 05-26-2023, 08:20 AM

The gap is there because of the rounded edge of the binding. It is cosmetic only. My approach would be to apply a water soluble filler that is tinted to match the color of the wood.
IMHO, a rounded edge is one sign of a well crafted instrument. It does make the guitar more ergonomic. However, that guitar seems to be more rounded than most Martins.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:57 PM

In my experience it is normal for solid top Martin X series guitars.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-26-2023, 03:00 PM

Hello
Thanks for the views. Regarding the rounded top causing the gap observation,
It seems to me that the part of the top where the neck joins is not rounded It's been left to straight to fit flush with the neck. But the angle is wrong.

I know if I played this guitar in a shop I would notice this imperfection. Also if I decided to resell it in the future, some mention would need to be in the description of the sale and value lost. For this reason I am going to return it.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:57 PM

Default a thought

I think there's nothing wrong, just how it was made. There's exactly zero effect on playability and durability. These guitars weren't made by craftsmen, but factory staff working within tight time allowances. I think OP's worries about resale are a few decades premature. HI think he hasn't found an imperfection, but evidence of factory production. I'll take bets there's lots out in the wild that look just like this one. I build my own and I've never lost sleep over fit-and-finish issues such as OP's chewing on.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:46 AM

Hello
Thanks for your comments. I'm know I'm a little picky, coming from a quality background. Sorry I'm new what does OP stand for? Resale value is important to me but not in the sense of the guitar appreciating over time but if I decide to resell in a couple of years as I often do as guitars evolve. Obviously I have been spoiled in the past as the two uke and Lx1 I had from Martin previously were perfect in terms of craftsmanship.irreprochable. Here in Europe this guitar is 630 euros and for the money I get better quality with a cheaper brand based on my last two examples.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:40 AM

OP = original poster, the starter of the thread. We use lots of acronyms to avoid repeated typing.

One of the cost saving measures on this entry level model is a radius of the sound board instead of edge binding. This gap looks normal to me. We have an all HPL Little Martin but I’ve never looked that closely. Regardless of whether it is acceptable to me, it clearly bothers you. Return it if you can, since you feel that strongly — you can never un-see this detail. YMMV (your mileage may vary).
Old 05-27-2023, 09:44 AM

Default a thought

Be prepared to see that they're ALL made like that....
Old 05-27-2023, 11:53 AM

Hello
I may choose a different model next time. But don't think all of them are like this as the LX1e I had before with the nut problem had no gap, and neither did the the Lx1 I had before that . Even the luthier at the shop said they see it occasionally on this model. Thanks to all those who took the time to reply.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:03 PM

Default a thought

I hope OP gets to a comfortable spot during their search. I wish them well.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I think that the gap is pretty standard on the x series Jeff, it is just the way they are made.

The photo is of one that I had a few years ago. You can see the gap if you expand the photo. It is not a structural issue, just the way they are built in Mexico. This one had a neck angle issue and went back.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair