The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM

Default 6 string banjo / Banjitar newbie

What a fun instrument!

I ran into a lady with one at a jam, and when I expressed some interest, she asked me if I'd like to play her 100 year old instrument. Well of course I said yes. Promptly upon returning from the jam, I put out my feelers for one, as well as seeking out all the knowledge google could find for me.

Many thanks to Wade Hampton of AGF for his postings on 6 string banjos over the years. They were quite helpful.

A Luna 6 string popped local, cheap enough not to pass up, with a hard case. I know the perils of inexpensive instruments, but the cost of entry was cheap enough.

I've been having a blast with it. I had fingerpicks from previous banjo attempts, but what's working best for me is one of the Black Mountain hybrid thumb/flatpicks and bare fingers. I tried changing the EAD strings to the thinner/octave strings from a 12 string set, but didn't care for that. I settled for the moment on standard tuning and a light set of electric guitar strings. Still want to try open G tuning, and this morning I listened to someone that changed out just the low E string for a high/thin string. Lots to experiment with.

I did tick off a couple of my 5 string banjo friends. The comments started with "Heresy!" and "Oh heck no!" and got worse from there. I told them if they'd get off the couch and come out and play, I wouldn't have to seek out ways of adding banjo flavor to the ensembles I play with.

Which is exactly what I've got it for. A touch of banjo tone will really add some flavor applied to the right songs. Did one song at a gig yesterday afternoon on the banjo, looking at the set list for Friday to see what songs it would work on.

Oh and I have been trolling for an upgrade to a Gold Tone or Goodtime six string. The loss I'll take on the Luna if/when I sell it is no worse than a few lessons. The fun has been worth it already.

Just wanted to share and say thanks.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:02 PM

Can't be heresy if the Rev approves it.

Last edited by frankmcr; 04-24-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:37 AM

There are pics of a teenage D'jango Reinhardt with a six string banjo. James Taylor played the 6 string banjitar on Neil Young's "Old Man."

I have a cheapo Davison banjitar which I've retuned in open G with a high drone and railroad spikes. Lots of fun.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
...I tried changing the EAD strings to the thinner/octave strings from a 12 string set, but didn't care for that...
Try going double-octave on the low E and A strings (.011 for the E and .007 for the A) and keep standard tuning on the rest - I heard this on a short-scale 6-string and it gave a very realistic 5-string tone...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-25-2023 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:06 PM

I've kept my 6-strings in a mutant Nashville setup for years--the 6-5-4 strings are the GBE strings of a light set, with the low E a .20 wound, so the low four sound an octave high. Having high notes under my thumb allows a decent emulation of 5-string figures, especially in G, D, and C.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:55 PM

I’m glad that my posts were helpful to you; I’m a big fan of the guitar-banjo and recommend that more people try it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-05-2023, 07:25 AM

A really interesting six string banjo popped up on Reverb under resonator guitars this morning - it's a Jacobacci Manouche evidently like the one Django played. It was, according to the ad, played in the movie Borsalino. It's in Paris, so shipping is high (178) but 750 for luthier made instrument with some history isn't bad.
Old 05-08-2023, 01:42 PM

I've had enough fun out of my $200 investment that I've stepped up - tracking (and my wife) says a Gold Tone GT-500 is at the house as we speak.

I've also started a correspondence with another 6 stringer, who has quite the collection. I can't see having more than one banjo, but I probably said that about guitars at one point also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments