The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-17-2021, 01:55 PM

Default Tried out an incredible Spohn guitar! Review + video

Hi everybody,

I recently had the opportunity to try out a guitar made by luthier Max Spohn from Germany. The guitar is the same that Dustin Furlow took photos of and recorded a great video clip with this March, thread here -> https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=611178

I've long been a fan of traditionally built guitars, and my go-to instrument is a Claxton. The Somogyi-influenced "modern" instruments I've played before haven't felt as instinctive to me, probably mostly because of the lack of haptic feedback (especially vibration in the neck) and the excessive weight of some of them. Thus, I wasn't expecting to really bond with this guitar... but turns out I was wrong.

The obvious first: the guitar looks amazing. The art deco -inspired aesthetics probably won't please everyone, but I'm in awe. Distinctive, artistic, clean, beautiful. The build quality is totally flawless all around -- I'm comfortable saying that this is the most cleanly built guitar I've ever seen, perfect woodwork all around. Just as a certain AGF frequenter has said, "not a molecule out of place".

I love the balance in the tone. I can't think of any changes in the guitar's tonal palette I'd like to change. The bass is just right, the midrange is expressive and never clutters, and the trebles are probably the sweetest and "roundest" I've heard in a steel-string guitar. I think that between this guitar and my Claxton I can hear the difference in the trebles the most -- whereas this guitar has almost a classical guitar -like smoothness, the Claxton "stings" more, especially when strummed. There's no better or worse here, just interesting differences.

What surprised me most is the "feel" that I get from the guitar. It's not at all like most modern-style guitars I've played, with super rigid necks and heavy sides, that I've thought have felt kind of lifeless when played. The feel I get from this guitar is more like that of a lightly built traditional instrument, and yet I can totally feel that "air pump" resonance of the rigid (but light) sides and perfectly tuned plates. The guitar is super responsive, and every small nuance really comes through. For a capable player, this would truly be a musical expression tool for life.

All in all, playing this guitar has made me very happy and also a bit confused. For the first time I'm starting to see the benefits of the modern approach to building very clearly. If you're looking for a wonderfully responsive fingerstyle steel-string with the absolute highest quality craftsmanship, I really couldn't recommend Max more. He is an amazingly great guy too! Also, his prices are very competitive, at least for now. But I suspect this will change once he gains some more recognition.

I recorded a video with the guitar, embedded below. My playing does not do the guitar justice, though.

Last edited by cbjanne; 08-17-2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Added video embedding
Old 08-18-2021, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Fantastic! Thanks for posting this and the link to Dustin's thread.
Old 08-18-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
Hi everybody,

I recently had the opportunity to try out a guitar made by luthier Max Spohn from Germany. The guitar is the same that Dustin Furlow took photos of and recorded a great video clip with this March, thread here -> https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=611178

I've long been a fan of traditionally built guitars, and my go-to instrument is a Claxton. The Somogyi-influenced "modern" instruments I've played before haven't felt as instinctive to me, probably mostly because of the lack of haptic feedback (especially vibration in the neck) and the excessive weight of some of them. Thus, I wasn't expecting to really bond with this guitar... but turns out I was wrong.

The obvious first: the guitar looks amazing. The art deco -inspired aesthetics probably won't please everyone, but I'm in awe. Distinctive, artistic, clean, beautiful. The build quality is totally flawless all around -- I'm comfortable saying that this is the most cleanly built guitar I've ever seen, perfect woodwork all around. Just as a certain AGF frequenter has said, "not a molecule out of place".

I love the balance in the tone. I can't think of any changes in the guitar's tonal palette I'd like to change. The bass is just right, the midrange is expressive and never clutters, and the trebles are probably the sweetest and "roundest" I've heard in a steel-string guitar. I think that between this guitar and my Claxton I can hear the difference in the trebles the most -- whereas this guitar has almost a classical guitar -like smoothness, the Claxton "stings" more, especially when strummed. There's no better or worse here, just interesting differences.

What surprised me most is the "feel" that I get from the guitar. It's not at all like most modern-style guitars I've played, with super rigid necks and heavy sides, that I've thought have felt kind of lifeless when played. The feel I get from this guitar is more like that of a lightly built traditional instrument, and yet I can totally feel that "air pump" resonance of the rigid (but light) sides and perfectly tuned plates. The guitar is super responsive, and every small nuance really comes through. For a capable player, this would truly be a musical expression tool for life.

All in all, playing this guitar has made me very happy and also a bit confused. For the first time I'm starting to see the benefits of the modern approach to building very clearly. If you're looking for a wonderfully responsive fingerstyle steel-string with the absolute highest quality craftsmanship, I really couldn't recommend Max more. He is an amazingly great guy too! Also, his prices are very competitive, at least for now. But I suspect this will change once he gains some more recognition.

I recorded a video with the guitar, embedded below. My playing does not do the guitar justice, though.

Awesome, one of my favorite SRV tunes. I just learned the story behind it, apparently SRV was just noodling too and produced this gem!!
Old 08-18-2021, 07:49 PM

Guitar and your playing sound great! Looks and sounds like an awesome guitar!
Old 03-29-2022, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

How did I miss this thread??? Thanks for sharing, Janne.

Great guitar, great tune, great playing, great video and great commentary.

When you get the chance, I'd love to see another one with your stunning Malabar
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 03-29-2022, 08:09 AM

We are very excited to say that Max and his guitars will be showing at B.I.G. in Sept. I am so pleased he is willing to come over from Germany for our show and super excited to try his work in person!
Old 03-29-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
My playing does not do the guitar justice, though.
In which case you are deluded, because your playing is really great.

Nice guitar also!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-29-2022, 09:32 AM

As it happens, I'm reminded that a very well known guitarist was raving to me about a guitar he'd played when he was headlining a German guitar festival several years ago. Back then, I'd never heard of the luthier...a "Max Spohn", but filed it away in the back of my brain somewhere.

The guitarist was completely blown away by the instrument (which must have been a pretty early one) but is very publicly associated with another builder so that was that. Interestingly, the guitarist is not generally a fan of "Somogyiesque" instruments either.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-29-2022, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Very nice sounding guitar, wonderfully played.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-29-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Hi everybody,

That sounded very nice indeed and you are very modest over your guitar playing when it is clear you play very well indeed and with a lot of expression!

The tonality as recorded of your Spohn reminds me not so much of ervin somogyi's guitars but much more of another German luthier's work - Poljakoff guitars, which is worth checking out. The poljakoff om that I last played a few years ago was marvellously responsive and had a lovely wooden-cored fundamental that I would describe as "chewy" - very unique sound that isn't identical to the spohn clip but reminds me it's attributes. Sadly poljakoff seem to have stopped their business some time ago ...https://www.poljakoffgitarren.de/english/guitars/
Old 03-30-2022, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Very cool to see this and great take on Riviera Paradise. I grew up with that tune and dont think I have heard it in years.

I remember this guitar like I played it 5 minutes ago, which is probably the best compliment I can think of. Very unique and satisfying. Had a smooth midrange, ample bass response for a 00-12fret and an insane amount of harmonic complexity for a softer back/side build. The bearclaw Swiss he used really had some brilliance and warmth to it. Listening back to the last few seconds of that clip I recorded reminded me how much Uber-treble overtone content it had. Perfect recording guitar for fingerstyle, if there ever was one.

He built Vin Downes a guitar some time ago and I wish he uploaded more clips with it, as he is one of my favorite composers and it's the perfect fit for his sound. Max is a good picker himself, and builds with softer, intricate fingerstyle in mind.

Anyways, it was great to hear this again. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the kind reference.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 04-02-2022, 11:23 AM

Wow, I did't expect this thread to re-surface. Thanks for the kind comments.

The guitar is a true masterpiece, and I often find myself longing after it. If I ever gather the courage to order another luthier-built guitar, Max would probably be the guy I'd contact. I've played modern-style guitars from a number of very well-known luthiers, and out of those I liked his guitar the best. I think it kind of combined the best aspects of traditional and modern building styles -- hugely responsive and expressive, and still light and resonant all the way up to the neck. I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
This is long overdue, but that is some lovely "noodling," Janne! And what a great sound! Next to the Claxtons I've had, that guitar has the best sound I've heard in a video. Looking forward to playing one someday, and also seeing if the magic carries over to his long scale builds!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
guitar, luthier, somogyi, spohn