The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2022, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Pricing a guitar for sale question

I have a question about how to price the extras when selling a used guitar. I have a guitar in about the $2Kish range. It has an aftermarket pickup that costs about $500, and an after market Hiscox case that costs about $300.

Should I expect to be able to get a premium price because of these extras?

Thanks,
Old 08-15-2022, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

A bit, but not much. Condition will still be more important.

The case probably won't bring any extra. The pickup may bring a bit, but not everybody likes the same pickups, and not everybody wants a pickup.

Maybe an extra couple hundred bucks.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-16-2022, 03:51 AM

As above, maybe a little.

As a buyer, I’d expect a guitar in that price range to come with a case. Maybe a small plus for the upgraded case, maybe a minus that it’s not the original.

Everybody has their own favorite pickup setup. If you find the guy that wants what’s installed, awesome, it’s worth a bit more to him. Others may find it more of a hassle because they will have to remove it to install their preferred setup.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:00 AM

$800 worth of upgrades doesn't translate to the same on the resale unfortunately.

Like already mentioned, $250/$350? ??maybe?? it's a tough market out there.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-16-2022, 04:42 AM

I cringe when I see ads that say something like, "the setup and extras cost over $150 so my asking price of [a reasonable price] +$150 is more than fair."

As others mentioned, a little more, but not $800 more. I'd say the upgrades make the guitar worthy of fetching a price near retail [the guitar only retail price] if the guitar is in good condition or better.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:14 AM

Depends on the buyer…
The case is a nice plus, but you can equivocate it to the added extras on a car vs. the standard stuff. You bear the brunt of the added cost and the buyer benefits.
As far as the pickup, that’s where the individual buyer comes in.
Based solely on my past experiences, I didn’t find having a pickup mattered much.
YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-16-2022, 06:10 AM

On a very expensive guitar, to many people the p/u may well be a subtraction from its value instead of an addition, as it means it is no longer "original". Less of a difference for the case. But on your $2000 guitar, these things probably add a little though not nearly an amount approaching your investment.

I'd consider switching cases with another guitar, assuming everything fits. Then you could offer the Hiscox as an extra to make a deal or keep it for better protection to a guitar you are keeping. You could do this with the p/u but it would be a greater hassle and the guitar would still be modified.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:14 AM

The addition of a pick up doesn’t increase value very much. Some folks don’t want a pick up, some won’t like the pick up you are using, etc. Unless your guitar has strong appeal such that you will have multiple potential buyers making offers, you might only get $100-$200 additional for that.

If you have another viable case to include with the guitar, then you can offer folks two prices: one with the Hiscox, one with a less expensive case. Or you can sell the case separately, and squeeze a few more dollars out of your sales. But again, I expect a guitar to come with a case, and if it isn’t the original case, I might add $100 for a Hiscox, subtract $50 or $100 for a cheaper, non-original case.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:30 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, when you think about it, the seller's choice of a sale price and the buyer's choice to pay it or not are just about the greatest expressions of financial freedom I can think of. Just a thought.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-16-2022, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

In my experience buying, selling and trading some 40 guitars here on AGF in the last ten years it's best not to consider those things in the sale price. Or at least not articulate them in your ad post. Figure out your best (lowest) price as a total package (including shipping AND fees!) and then add about 25% to that price to give you a good starting point where you'll have some wiggle room for the hagglers. I find that people that use phrases like 'net to me' and 'buyer to pay shipping and fees' to be a turnoff. Avoid them. Same with, 'email for photos'.

Buying and selling successfully means haggling. Some people don't like haggling. Some love it. Expect it. Everyone expects a guitar to come with a case and it should be mentioned and a photo provided. Not everyone likes or wants a pickup system but it should obviously still be mentioned. People will know that a Hiscox, Carlton or Hoffee (ect.) case will add value. They don't need to know how much of your asking price is for the case or any other included extra option. Do your homework on the going prices for a particular guitar and work from there..

Every seller thinks his guitar is worth way more than it actually is and every buyer thinks a guitar is worth way less than it's initially posted for. Somewhere in the middle of that is where every successful sale lies.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:55 AM

Yep this from Methos1979 ^^^^

I generally look for no electronics and while I expect a case, an upgraded one doesn't mean much for me. It's the guitar I'm interested in and I'm prepared to haggle on the price.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

As others have said, maybe a couple hundred bucks, that's it. I also disagree with building in a 25% margin to haggle. People on this forum are VERY informed as to what FMV (fair market value) should be on a host of different brands and models. This is not the place to sell a guitar if you're hoping to get top dollar. Expect to get a fair price and nothing more. I've always priced my stuff within $100 of what I expect to sell it for and everything always sells pretty quickly.

Good luck.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 08-16-2022, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I find that people that use phrases like 'net to me' and 'buyer to pay shipping and fees' to be a turnoff. Avoid them. Same with, 'email for photos'.
Purely for a variety of opinions, I'd add that neither "net to me" nor "buyer to pay shipping and fees" are a turn off for me, as I consider those pretty much standard operating procedure. An all in cost that includes shipping might be a bit of a bonus if it doesn't seem that the cost is inflated which the sometimes seem to be.

But, totally agree that no matter where you are selling, lots of good pics in the ad... don't make me ask for them or click on a link to retrieve them. Put them front and center, warts and all.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-16-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
As others have said, maybe a couple hundred bucks, that's it. I also disagree with building in a 25% margin to haggle. People on this forum are VERY informed as to what FMV (fair market value) should be on a host of different brands and models. This is not the place to sell a guitar if you're hoping to get top dollar. Expect to get a fair price and nothing more. I've always priced my stuff within $100 of what I expect to sell it for and everything always sells pretty quickly.

Good luck.
This has been m approach, as well. When I see a guitar priced well above what I believe it to be worth, I don’t even make an offer. This is not Reverb, where O might expect the price to be aspirational.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Upgrades, they usually don’t add much and often times are a deterrent to many prospective buyers. Many people want a stock guitar.

I often times put all my stock items back on the guitar to sell it and sell the upgraded parts separately.

One exception I have found is quality locking tuners on an electric guitar, those help a sale.

Last edited by Rad; 08-16-2022 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion