The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I’m still running OnSong Pro (one-time purchase) without any problems. I chose not to ‘upgrade’ to Premium because (a) I don’t want to go down the ‘annual subscription’ rabbit-hole and (b) Pro already has features I will never use, so why ‘upgrade’ to get even more features I will probably never use?

I recently was nagged by OnSong to pay them $99 for a ‘lifetime’ subscription and ‘upgrade’ to the 2022 version of Premium, which I ignored for the reasons stated above.

I used OnSong Pro at a gig this past Sunday - worked flawlessly. I’m a happy bunny.
Thanks for the report of issues with newer versions, I'll be more than happy to stick with one-time purchase of Pro. No problems with it (except perhaps the guilt of depending upon it way too much! ;~)
Old 08-16-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Ive noticed many diverse electronic devices acting funky lately, from my car’s Garmin, to all web-based apps and even my iPhone. 16 bit (or even 8 bit very old chips) often shut down after their internal clock maxes out. While most modern devices are 32 or 64 bit processors, the can still be affected by older devices along the “signal chain”. Often times, simply re-booting can reset the click and restore normal function. (Dang, that sounds like an IT weenie!)

Rumor has it that many servers run off old Sun systems, and are getting to the age of senility.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 08-16-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I did upgrade to premium because without it you lose out on a lot of annotation features that I find invaluable. I use a page turn pedal and tend to mark the best places to use it. I also use another color to mark where solo breaks fit in (only matters when I'm recording). Also lets you use the "console" feature that lets you do a lot of editing on a Mac, rather than the iPad which can be much easier. There are tons of features I NEVER use in OnSong, particularly the 2022 version, but there are a few key ones I really rely on that only come with the premium version.

I haven't gigged in decades, but that may make me MORE reliant on charts. I don't have any reason to fully memorize lyrics or chords - I'm not trying to engage with an audience, just the song in question. For sure, i have to KNOW a song to play it decently, but I can know it better with a cheat sheet in front of me. I figure that about $40/year is one of my smaller guitar related expenses and if I ever do update to the 2022 version, I'll probably do the $100 for a lifetime deal.

-Ray
Yeah, I get all that, Ray.

But I learn my stuff, and I use OnSong mostly to set up and store my set-lists, and as a safety-net for the occasional brain-fart - I don’t routinely read my lyrics/chords. I don’t need annotations other than the ‘sticky note’ feature, which I have in Pro. I also use Console on my Windows PC, available with Pro as well as Premium. I have my songs set up to fit on a single page in portrait view, so I have no use for a page turner pedal (and I do gig, so I’m grateful not to have additional gear to haul around/break/lose!).

And - the biggie - I’m not having problems with OnSong dying, stopping scrolling, or jumping around…

I think I’ll stick with Pro - works for me!

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-16-2022, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I did upgrade to premium because without it you lose out on a lot of annotation features that I find invaluable. I use a page turn pedal and tend to mark the best places to use it. I also use another color to mark where solo breaks fit in (only matters when I'm recording). Also lets you use the "console" feature that lets you do a lot of editing on a Mac, rather than the iPad which can be much easier. There are tons of features I NEVER use in OnSong, particularly the 2022 version, but there are a few key ones I really rely on that only come with the premium version.

I haven't gigged in decades, but that may make me MORE reliant on charts. I don't have any reason to fully memorize lyrics or chords - I'm not trying to engage with an audience, just the song in question. For sure, i have to KNOW a song to play it decently, but I can know it better with a cheat sheet in front of me. I figure that about $40/year is one of my smaller guitar related expenses and if I ever do update to the 2022 version, I'll probably do the $100 for a lifetime deal.

-Ray
This must be for legacy users or a short time thing because there is no lifetime option I can find. I'd buy that in a second. I finally moved over from using igigbook for years and I much prefer onsong but I do hate paying every year for it.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

I still have the older OnSong, one-time purchase, lifetime, etc, etc, etc - because of that, I continue to use it, but they keep adding features that are entirely pointless to me, and now their subscription model makes it so anyone new we want to play with can’t just pay $20 and get our charts on their ipad. Because of that, I’ve looked into options, and SongOne is looking pretty good - it will even restore an OnSong backup, or import an OnSong library, and seems to have all the other normal things we use, and very few of the bloat things. I don’t recommend OnSong to anyone, anymore -
Old 08-16-2022, 07:34 PM

Default Anyone else having issues with OnSong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I still have the older OnSong, one-time purchase, lifetime, etc, etc, etc - because of that, I continue to use it, but they keep adding features that are entirely pointless to me, and now their subscription model makes it so anyone new we want to play with can’t just pay $20 and get our charts on their ipad. Because of that, I’ve looked into options, and SongOne is looking pretty good - it will even restore an OnSong backup, or import an OnSong library, and seems to have all the other normal things we use, and very few of the bloat things. I don’t recommend OnSong to anyone, anymore -

For many of these same reasons I switched to SongbookPro and where I used to be a huge proponent of OnSong, no more. It was the subscription that did it for me. Let me just buy a product!
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 08-16-2022, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I don't see anything called "SongOne" when doing a Google search. Evidently they don't have web site to explain or market the program.

I did find it as an app, MAC / Apple only....

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-16-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkepler View Post
For many of these same reasons I switched to SongbookPro and where I used to be a huge proponent of OnSong, no more. It was the subscription that did it for me. Let me just buy a product!
I use OnSong for performing and have been looking for a backup program to use. I've installed a couple but so far I haven't been able to find one that will let me display the chords in-line with the lyrics. Having the chords over the lyrics make most of my songs too long to display on one page without scrolling.

Are there any other chord and lyric apps that allow chords to be displayed in-line with the lyrics?
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion