The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2022, 06:02 PM

Default Anyone else having issues with OnSong?

Been using this app for years on my iPad. All of a sudden it’s bouncing from song to song, stalling during editing, snapping back to the first song in a set randomly…very frustrating.

I have the latest version…is it me or is there something going on with the app?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:07 PM

Sometimes my [Android] tablet 'freezes' with larger sets when I use Songbook Pro, but I'm not familiar with Onsong. Good luck with it...
Old 08-15-2022, 07:15 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’m just guessing and I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading a while back that things can get wonky with OnSong if you’re running it on an older iPad where the latest versions of OS are designed for newer iPads. I think the advice was to stop installing the latest versions of OS on an older iPad.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:19 PM

I thought I was my iPad that was giving me the problems with onsong. I have been having the exact same problems that Slothead was talking about for months.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I’m just guessing and I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading a while back that things can get wonky with OnSong if you’re running it on an older iPad where the latest versions of OS are designed for newer iPads. I think the advice was to stop installing the latest versions of OS on an older iPad.
My iPad was new last year.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:57 PM

My three ring binder is looking better and better...
Old 08-16-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

OnSong has been a bit funky on my iPad for a month or so, but yesterday I noticed that it seems to be functioning normally again. My guess is it was an unexpected side effect of a software upgrade and now they've sent a forced upgrade to correct it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-16-2022, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

A few or several months ago I let OnSong update itself to the 2022 version, which has lots of new power user features I’ll never use. The software became largely unusable - it was really terribly close to useless. Wasn’t sure what to do when I noticed both 2020 and 2022 versions of the app in the Apple App Store. So I put the old one back and it all ran fine again. I notice now that they no longer have the earlier version on the App Store - just 2022. So I’m inclined to think they’ve worked the bugs out with the 2022 version. But I’m not gonna re-upgrade until and unless I need to. Because it it doesn’t work well, I wouldn’t be able to re-install the older version at this point…

-Ray
Old 08-16-2022, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Been using this app for years on my iPad. All of a sudden it’s bouncing from song to song, stalling during editing, snapping back to the first song in a set randomly…very frustrating.

I have the latest version…is it me or is there something going on with the app?

Thanks.
Hi S56
Normally ONsong gets the issues worked out. They used to post prematurely developed updates which caused issues, and then updated them pretty quickly.

I hope this is true in this case (that they fix it quickly if it's their error).

They have such a large user base, I'm guessing if it's on them they will correct it quickly.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-16-2022, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
My three ring binder is looking better and better...
Hi Rudy4
Glad you still like paper and ink.

As for me I have thousands of charts in my tablet, and can look them up instantly (ok 3 seconds).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-16-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I’m still running OnSong Pro (one-time purchase) without any problems. I chose not to ‘upgrade’ to Premium because (a) I don’t want to go down the ‘annual subscription’ rabbit-hole and (b) Pro already has features I will never use, so why ‘upgrade’ to get even more features I will probably never use?

I recently was nagged by OnSong to pay them $99 for a ‘lifetime’ subscription and ‘upgrade’ to the 2022 version of Premium, which I ignored for the reasons stated above.

I used OnSong Pro at a gig this past Sunday - worked flawlessly. I’m a happy bunny.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-16-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
A few or several months ago I let OnSong update itself to the 2022 version, which has lots of new power user features I’ll never use. The software became largely unusable - it was really terribly close to useless. Wasn’t sure what to do when I noticed both 2020 and 2022 versions of the app in the Apple App Store. So I put the old one back and it all ran fine again. I notice now that they no longer have the earlier version on the App Store - just 2022. So I’m inclined to think they’ve worked the bugs out with the 2022 version. But I’m not gonna re-upgrade until and unless I need to. Because it it doesn’t work well, I wouldn’t be able to re-install the older version at this point…

-Ray
OnSong users asked for a simpler version of the app for years. For some reason, OnSong didn’t react to this.
That’s why I and friends of mine went on with Songbook Pro, that, after a while, I prefer by far.
A little bit sad, because those OnSong guys have been really creative and diligent.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 08-16-2022, 01:07 PM

Default Onsong and other apps

I’m not techphobic by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve seen it too many times. In the middle of a set, an iPad dies, or stops scrolling or jumps around.

Then there are the bugs that come with updates, and on and on.

I’m happy with paper copies. They don’t “glitch”, it’s a snap to make notes or changes and you never have to worry about the app being obsoleted and you lose what you’ve paid for or stored there or the subscription fee goes through the roof.

Yes, I’m a dinosaur, I kill trees and I’m proud of it!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 08-16-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I’m not techphobic by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve seen it too many times. In the middle of a set, an iPad dies, or stops scrolling or jumps around.

Then there are the bugs that come with updates, and on and on.

I’m happy with paper copies. They don’t “glitch”, it’s a snap to make notes or changes and you never have to worry about the app being obsoleted and you lose what you’ve paid for or stored there or the subscription fee goes through the roof.

Yes, I’m a dinosaur, I kill trees and I’m proud of it!
Enjoy your tree killing, but I have been using an iPad with OnSong for 10 years now and well over 1000 gigs and I have never had a "glitch". It's never died, stopped scrolling or jumped around on me during a show. It's a valuable tool and a lot more user friendly than a notebook and paper when searching for you next song at a gig.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-16-2022, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I’m still running OnSong Pro (one-time purchase) without any problems. I chose not to ‘upgrade’ to Premium because (a) I don’t want to go down the ‘annual subscription’ rabbit-hole and (b) Pro already has features I will never use, so why ‘upgrade’ to get even more features I will probably never use?

I recently was nagged by OnSong to pay them $99 for a ‘lifetime’ subscription and ‘upgrade’ to the 2022 version of Premium, which I ignored for the reasons stated above.

I used OnSong Pro at a gig this past Sunday - worked flawlessly. I’m a happy bunny.
I did upgrade to premium because without it you lose out on a lot of annotation features that I find invaluable. I use a page turn pedal and tend to mark the best places to use it. I also use another color to mark where solo breaks fit in (only matters when I'm recording). Also lets you use the "console" feature that lets you do a lot of editing on a Mac, rather than the iPad which can be much easier. There are tons of features I NEVER use in OnSong, particularly the 2022 version, but there are a few key ones I really rely on that only come with the premium version.

I haven't gigged in decades, but that may make me MORE reliant on charts. I don't have any reason to fully memorize lyrics or chords - I'm not trying to engage with an audience, just the song in question. For sure, i have to KNOW a song to play it decently, but I can know it better with a cheat sheet in front of me. I figure that about $40/year is one of my smaller guitar related expenses and if I ever do update to the 2022 version, I'll probably do the $100 for a lifetime deal.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion