The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I just got notice that the Straight Up Strings that I ordered have been shipped. I have just put the Santa Cruz mid-tensions on my E and OO and am so far impressed. I like the mid-tensions much better than the low-tensions so I ordered the mediums from Straight Up. I will report in about both sets on both guitars after I get a chance to play them both a bit.

The guitars wood combos are German Spruce/Cocobolo and Cedar/EIR. I play with my fingers and just a bit of nail doing mostly fingerstyle or light strumming.

Yoni, I am curious as to what wood combo your SC Vintage Jumbo is and how it plays out with your Braz OO.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-06-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I just got notice that the Straight Up Strings that I ordered have been shipped. I have just put the Santa Cruz mid-tensions on my E and OO and am so far impressed. I like the mid-tensions much better than the low-tensions so I ordered the mediums from Straight Up. I will report in about both sets on both guitars after I get a chance to play them both a bit.

The guitars wood combos are German Spruce/Cocobolo and Cedar/EIR. I play with my fingers and just a bit of nail doing mostly fingerstyle or light strumming.

Yoni, I am curious as to what wood combo your SC Vintage Jumbo is and how it plays out with your Braz OO.

Best,
Jayne

The SC is sitka and hog. With Ebony FB and Bridge. The 00 is adi/braz with braz FB and bridge.

Last night I was playing the 00 again and the sounds is getting better.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:55 PM

I just wanted to say that I've put sets of Heavy Gauge SUS on two of my dreads (a Collings D2H - rosewood, and a D-18). The D-18's strings are just on, so they're still very sparkly, but the Collings' have been on for a week or so and I love them. It's subtle, but I feel as though the guitar's true voice is easier to reach, and I haven't perceived any loss of volume. If anything, I can dig in a bit easier and bring out the volume myself. I'm very happy with them.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:10 PM

Yeah I just played the 00 for the last hour and man oh man. These are my strings.

Roger,

Is it "safe" to order a six pack that would last about a year? Before all sets are gone through?

Old 11-07-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
Seeing as there are at about a half dozen Santa Cruz Strings we should also discuss Straight Uo Strings(SUS) which very well could be the same exact strings.

I ordered a set of 3 medium tension as the website says they are probably closer to typical 12's and put the first set on my SC VJ. They replaced a set of Elixir 12's. I've maybe put 15 minutes of play time on them and I can already tell the difference from the 162 lbs of tension vs. the 146.5 lbs with the SUS strings are much easier to bend and the neck no longer has a certain "tight" feeling to it. Tone is much sweeter and yes...balanced. It would be nice if there were a little more coating on the strings but, overall I like them and will be putting them on my 00 next. Will update after a few days and once they are on the 00.
Straight Up are half the price of Santa Cruz.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Yoni - If by "safe" you are referring to the condition (tarnishing) of the strings in their package(s) after a year, then I think you'd be safe. As I mentioned previously, the job of the coating and plating is to preserve the integrity of the finish. However, the rate of tarnish is totally dependent on where you live and where/how you keep your strings. If you live along the coastal area, or in areas of high humidity, then you will experience a higher rate of tarnishing (but I'm sure you'd be aware of that if you are living in those environments). …R
Old 11-09-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siminoff View Post
Yoni - If by "safe" you are referring to the condition (tarnishing) of the strings in their package(s) after a year, then I think you'd be safe. As I mentioned previously, the job of the coating and plating is to preserve the integrity of the finish. However, the rate of tarnish is totally dependent on where you live and where/how you keep your strings. If you live along the coastal area, or in areas of high humidity, then you will experience a higher rate of tarnishing (but I'm sure you'd be aware of that if you are living in those environments). …R
That's great. I will be ordering a pack of 6 in the near future?

I also have a strange question, Is there a chance to add a "variety pack" for instance. I'd love to by my dad sets for his three guitars. A vintage guild(I'd put light tension on) a martin dread(I'd put medium tension on) and a taylor builders reserve(to put heavy tension on...though he does tune the taylor down a step...would that be alright?).

Old 11-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

[QUOTE=yoni;4704473]Yeah I just played the 00 for the last hour and man oh man. These are my strings.[QUOTE]

That is great news. I just got mine in the mail yesterday so will try them on my cedar/EIR OO soon. Thanks for the feedback.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-03-2015, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up The Straight-Up Best Strings

Straight-up Strings has officially become my go-to string of choice for all of my guitars. I've strung my various models up with the light, medium, and high tension strings Siminoff offers, and I have to say that I've been very enthused by the results. Here are a few bullets of my poetic waxing:

- Strings sound more like they're working together to accomplish the same goal than any other string set I've tested
- String-to-string balance is quite noticeable
- Maintains intonation for longer periods of time vs. other strings
- Strings last for a long time, both sonic and visually (I'm guessing due to the fact that the strings are coated)
- Packaging is both aesthetically appealing and easy to use (strings are individually packaged within)
- Great value at current prices

While I love uncoated strings, my hand chemistry kills them in very short order. As far as coated strings go, these are the top in my book.

The one caveat I will note is that I saw a much more noticeable improvement in tone from previously used string sets on my smaller guitars with the lighter tension Siminoff strings (ligh/medium tension). The improvement using the heavy tension strings on larger guitars was only incremental and not as noticeable.

Well done Siminoff.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucedup View Post
Straight-up Strings has officially become my go-to string of choice for all of my guitars. I've strung my various models up with the light, medium, and high tension strings Siminoff offers, and I have to say that I've been very enthused by the results. Here are a few bullets of my poetic waxing:

- Strings sound more like they're working together to accomplish the same goal than any other string set I've tested
- String-to-string balance is quite noticeable
- Maintains intonation for longer periods of time vs. other strings
- Strings last for a long time, both sonic and visually (I'm guessing due to the fact that the strings are coated)
- Packaging is both aesthetically appealing and easy to use (strings are individually packaged within)
- Great value at current prices

While I love uncoated strings, my hand chemistry kills them in very short order. As far as coated strings go, these are the top in my book.

The one caveat I will note is that I saw a much more noticeable improvement in tone from previously used string sets on my smaller guitars with the lighter tension Siminoff strings (ligh/medium tension). The improvement using the heavy tension strings on larger guitars was only incremental and not as noticeable.

Well done Siminoff.
Thanks for this assessment. I am just getting ready to put a set of SUS mediums on both my 00 and my E. I have had the Santa Cruz strings on them and they have lasted longer than I thought they would. I will chime in when I have a chance to play them in a bit.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 PM

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. Shipping is almost $10, so , for me, it would beneficial to buy several sets at once. If I like them, I can always sell some of my Elixir stash, and if I don't like them, I can sell the DUD.

Is it general consensus that the mediums provide better tone than the heavys?

For me, it seems the heavy gauge strings (.13) seem to provide more tone and punch for the Elixirs and Monels, but I'm hearing some testimony that with the SUS, the mediums seem to do that??
Old 12-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Going counter-trend here.

I tried a pair on my D35, and a pair on my J45.

Very "meh" on both. Actually that's not fair. Better than Meh. Think EJ16 / DR Rare's and you will have the tone down. They dont keep the tone as long as EJ16s though.

This is my opinion after two sets, and yours may differ.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all who have tried Straight Up Strings. My hope is to be available here only for tech info and clarifications. Regarding the postage question that leehop71 raised, for string orders only (in the U.S.) we have First Class Shipping shipping available. You can enter "firstclass5" at check out to get $5 off your order and have your strings shipped regular First Class mail.

Seasons greetings to all !!!
Roger
Old 12-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siminoff View Post
Thanks to all who have tried Straight Up Strings. My hope is to be available here only for tech info and clarifications. Regarding the postage question that leehop71 raised, for string orders only (in the U.S.) we have First Class Shipping shipping available. You can enter "firstclass5" at check out to get $5 off your order and have your strings shipped regular First Class mail.

Seasons greetings to all !!!
Roger
Thanks Roger. That will work much better.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Strings are great. Having a hard time trying to decide if I should change the set I have on my 00 for a performance in two weeks or not...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion