The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2022, 04:44 PM

During the Covid lockdown, I bought the 25 set box of D'Addario strings.
The box of strings are subject to what ever climate that they are exposed to.

My answer was to put the strings into individual sets and zip tie each set, then place all the sets in a PVC tube with caps on both ends.
I added several humidity packs to each end of the the tube.

I'm on my last 4 sets of these strings and they still look like new and sound great.

Now these strings are not coated, so I use them a lot faster that I do coated strings.
I don't think that I would buy 25 sets of coated strings because they could potentially go bad before I could possibly use all of them.

I will be watching for a sale on 10 packs and go that way when I get some XS sets.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:10 PM

Good luck. The `1st and last time I bought in bulk, were Martin medium bronze acoustic strings. I didn't open the package for about a month, they were all corroded, rusted, useless. The vendor wouldn't make a refund either. I stick to 3-packs these days.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:17 PM

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned this yet:

Find a few others interested in the same strings; buy it together. Problem solved. Everybody's happy.

We used to do that with reload supplies because shipping was a killer (hazmat) and nobody needs powder for 100k rounds (powder need to be fresh, like strings). We need different powders in small quantities (different competitive shooting disciplines). We were able to solve the issue by pooling and everybody's happy (well, except the one who shoots unpopular powder).

If your string is normal enough that others also use, just find a few friends to pool with. When you run out, chances are they've also run out; then everybody can pool again.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I have used those boxes My collection is well in double digits, so they don't last particularly long. The thing is, once you get down the last 5 or 6 sets in the Box, they tend to get tangled up and either really hard to pull out of you end up pulling out five random strings with the one you need. They will not go back into the box ever. When I find a deal, I buy ten packs in Bulk Or a Box of 12 3 Packs. (each set individually wrapped) Most guitars get 12's, and 3 or 4 get 13's
Old 08-17-2022, 04:42 AM

Back when I played more I would change strings monthly. I’d go thru a bulk pack of 25 sets in a year or so of playing multiple guitars. Now, I buy 3-packs of Martin strings when Sweetwater has them on sale and rarely have more than 6 sets on hand.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:05 AM

The drop in per set price is well worth giving it a thought, but 25 sets that can last 6 months. With my 6 acoustics that I rotate through that would be just over 2 years.

What about splitting the cost between a few other individuals? I purchased some guitar stands like that once. An online site had 10 guitar stands for $40. Told one of my work friends about it but I didn't need 10 stands. He said he would go half with me. So we each have 5 stands even though I have only taken 2 out of the packaging.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-17-2022, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

OP here. Thanks for all the thoughts. Ultimately, I decided against the 25 pack. Mostly, it is because it would then be just too tempting to buy five or six more guitars to string them on.
There is no 10 pack, at least yet. But a Reverb seller offers 3 pack at $15 (vs $17.99) per set. So it is a bit of a savings.
I have had my first set on a Merrill OM for a few days now. My goodness, these are just heavenly strings. Big and sweet, and nice under finger. And I thought the XT's the guitar came with were the best I had ever heard. And they were....
Cheers.
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion