The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2021, 01:03 PM

Default IBANEZ AC240: Fretwire

Hi,

The topic is all about the most popular acoustics by IBANEZ the AC240 model and the fretwire used on this instrument. So sad that the manufacturer does not provide such data of the instrument.....

If you do searching you will find the following option "IBANEZ AC240 Artwood series Fret Wire Set AC240 (+AC240FRET)" which costs 20+ USD/EU, unbelievably high price for a single set + delivery!!

I do have also another instrument by Eastman, the company who offers everything for every particular needs/cases; I can order 12"-radius Jescar-FW43080 fretwire just in 2-3 clicks and it would cost ~$6.......

So does anybody know which Fretwire does the Ibanez AC240 wear ??

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2022, 02:28 PM

Default Fretwire for the IBANEZ AC240

Hi there,
This is an year-old theme with a 'zero' feedback......
Just wanted to refresh it, perhaps someone who knows the issue would be reading this!
Thank you!
Old 08-14-2022, 07:44 PM

There's WAY more to fret wire than looking at the "cost". Specifics such as tang size are vitally IMPORTANT, Personally, I wouldn't even consider replacing wire unless you spec EVO, and that's going to cost more than 6 bucks, Why are you so focused on the cost?
Old 08-15-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Why are you so focused on the cost?

Thank you! I assume that the cost is one of the specs that should be considered too, I cannot understand the rule of ignoring your costs.....
Actually, I am focused on the true data of frets as they are made in many different sizes and shapes.
Locally, where I live, I can only buy 1-2 types of fretwire, frets which I typically buy here are fine for my other instruments, but AC240 has quite narrow fretwire, never seen any such over here......
The overall costs matter also due to an additional charges for the international delivery
Old 08-15-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertler View Post
Thank you! I assume that the cost is one of the specs that should be considered too, I cannot understand the rule of ignoring your costs.....
Actually, I am focused on the true data of frets as they are made in many different sizes and shapes.
Locally, where I live, I can only buy 1-2 types of fretwire, frets which I typically buy here are fine for my other instruments, but AC240 has quite narrow fretwire, never seen any such over here......
The overall costs matter also due to an additional charges for the international delivery
I don't totally ignore costs, but fret wire cost is such a small percentage of the total cost of an instrument that it's insignificant for the most part. You'll pay way more for almost any other part of an acoustic instrument that you're building or repairing.

You can evaluate the economics of fret wire cost in other ways, too. EVO wire is 3 or 4 times the cost of Nickel Silver wire, but since most users won't need to replace EVO frets in their lifetime the cost to benefit ratio leans toward spending the extra money in the long run.

One of the first large scale suppliers of EVO wire was a manufacturer in Belarus, one of your neighboring countries. I'd think it shouldn't be too difficult to locate a supplier there.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
EVO wire is 3 or 4 times the cost of Nickel Silver wire, but since most users won't need to replace EVO frets in their lifetime the cost to benefit ratio leans toward spending the extra money in the long run.

Thanks for the note!

In the past, stainless steel frets were the option I did consider, but installing steel definitely is a different task than softer nickel silver (I do re-fretting myself, no luthiers in the country!), so I just totally closed this option and doing re-fretting in every 1.5-2.5 years based on wear.....
How many times did you this EVO fretwork in the past ?? How significant is a difference of its material hardness and work ??
Sintoms is a Belarusian company, this state is closer but shipping options are even worse than from US/EU/China..... and, most of the Belarusian products do cost more too due to a high quality..... great country!
http://sintoms.com/FretsProduction.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion