The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2005, 05:26 PM

Default NEW Keeley Comp - definitely a champ for acoustics!

I was able to use my new Keeley Compressor with the internal attack pot last Friday night at church again, and walked away really really loving it. The maiden voyage during the previous week left me very impressed, but this last church service really left me loving the pedal - A LOT. I must admit that the blend pot on the Barber Tone-Press really is a nice feature, but not one I can't life without. The Keeley really enhances the bass (be-a-utiful!), and honestly doesn't seem to make me lose much high-end at all (I can't seem to dial in the same tonal result with the Tone-Press in regards to the enhanced bass). Surely treble-loss could be measured somehow, but to my ears at least, any treble loss is now very very minimal and negligible at best. Certain not an "issue" of any sort to me at all. In some cases, it almost seemed to enhance that also. Songs involving hard rhythm strumming, flatpicking and chord voicings with hammer-ons meant to bring out a melody line (sometimes all of those in the same song) were really brought out beautifully.

I can't foresee myself putting the Tone-Press back on my board at all now. The Keeley really REALLY impressed me - and I'm a picky guy when using effects of any kind with an acoustic. Now if I could just save up the money to send in my DL4 to Robert so he can take away the volume drop.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 AM

I'm just beginning to learn about the usefulness of my 'new-to-me' Carl Martin compressor, besides the sustain and boost as desired. Lots of tone shaping in that box. Glad to hear you're happy with your choice, Ryan.

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 07-04-2005, 01:53 PM

I've used all three. The Keeley moves my ears the most. I'm not sure the Tone Press is the same as most other compressors anyway. I seem to recall Dave Barber's approach to the whole compression effect as different from the rest. I think he intended it to be used with his other overdrive pedals for maximum effect but I just couldn't seem to get much out of it. The CM is good but I was turned off by the size & power supply issue. The Keeley just sounds much cleaner & more pure IMO.....
Old 07-04-2005, 02:11 PM

Sorry to be so "ignorant," but as one who has recently gotton into amplification (of an acoustic 12), could someone explain in "SIMPLE TERMS" what these do, and would it be useful?

Or, is this just outta my league, so to speak? If so, I really don't mind. Just curious.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:14 PM

in simple terms : a compressor most often is intended to "tame " strong signal peaks ( make them softer, limits them ) and to enhance weak signals. the result is a more even signal that seems louder and compressed to our ears. in the case of an amplified or recorded acoustic guitar a good and well-tweaked compressor will smoothen out the signal, make the guitar sound fuller and less peaky. you hear compressed guitars all the time, most studio productions use a good compressor ( some cost well over 3 grand ) on guitar all the time. listen to "Wooden Ships " by CSN&Y , Eagles, Jackson Browne, etc. and you hear heavy compression. the Keeley comp. is a really good one since it is quiet and does not color the sound too much. so is the Carl Martin. Alesis had a small one in their "nano" line that offerd plenty of control for small money, although it is not a stomp-box. as always, these signal-processors can be used in many different ways but they certainly are not mandatory for a good sound. let your ears be the judge, check them out , it will be worth your time ! cheers, gitman
Old 07-05-2005, 07:04 AM

Very good explanation, gitman. Thanks for sharing.

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification