The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-19-2018, 12:01 PM

Default What are your go-to guitar cables?

Hey, y'all -- quick question about guitar cables: Are there any cables out there you'd recommend depending on the type of guitar? How much does a cable affect the quality of sound on stage?

Now that I've got a new Gibson J-45, I'm starting to think more and more about making sure my guitar sounds just as good on stage as it does in my living room at home, and I wasn't sure how much it mattered to use a certain type of cable. I've really only ever stuck with regular, cheap Peavey cables, but I know there are so many other types. Not sure which ones I should try out! Any help on the subject would be fantastic.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the topic. I too am interested in how much a cable would affect sound. I have bought the $60 ones and the cheaper ones. Hard for me to tell actually. Does it have more to do with how long they hold up? Thanks again for the topic
Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM

No special cables, strings, or anything other than premium quality products, offered by a number of companies.

Great cables are made by Lyric, Zaolla, and Mogami.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-19-2018, 01:00 PM

In my experience, the problem with cheap cables isn't so much that they sound much worse, but rather that they are less durable and tend to get glitchy after a fair amount of use. I also just like a cable that feels solid. My go-to is a Whirlwind Leader Elite with lifetime warranty and a tough "toaster cord" cloth cover.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I like the Planet Waves with the kill switch (Circuit Breaker).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAddario-Pl...4AAOSwxnlbdGLz
Old 10-19-2018, 01:24 PM

My Shure Wireless!! I have cables too and I have some cheap ones and they work. I have a Fender cable that has a solid rubber sleeve and rubber covered Jacks and I really like it when I'm using a cable. I had to do an outdoor gig a week or so back and it got very dirty. I just wiped it down good with a wet rag and it was good to go.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-19-2018, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
Hey, y'all -- quick question about guitar cables: Are there any cables out there you'd recommend depending on the type of guitar? How much does a cable affect the quality of sound on stage?

Now that I've got a new Gibson J-45, I'm starting to think more and more about making sure my guitar sounds just as good on stage as it does in my living room at home, and I wasn't sure how much it mattered to use a certain type of cable. I've really only ever stuck with regular, cheap Peavey cables, but I know there are so many other types. Not sure which ones I should try out! Any help on the subject would be fantastic.
Hi L_WE

¼"-¼" mono - George L
¼" TRS (stereo) - Whirlwind

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM

I believe that time and use (and abuse) will ultimately cause any cable to fail at some point. So I prefer cables that have lifetime warranties. At this point my favorite cable is a Monstercable Classic. $22 so they don't break the bank. But one did fail and I had to send it in for replacement.

I'd probably use Mogami if they weren't so darned expensive. I've also got two 12' Guitar Center cables that I got as a two-pack for $15 and they're going strong. So far I haven't been able to hear an audible difference between any of the cables. I'm not sure the human ear is that good, especially in a loud environment.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM

On a guitar with passive high impedance pickups, e.g Electric guitars, then cable makes a difference. Long cable lengths will suck the tone out of your guitar. However having said that, some people actually like 'that tone'. Jimi Hendrix, for example, loved the tone of long coiled cable, which rolled the high-end off his Strat giving him more mids.

The big factor is capacitance...or should I say LOW capacitance. This is achieved by short cable lengths or low capacitance cable. The capacitance of the cable is usually stated in its specification: capacitance per unit length, and of course low C cable is expensive.

Here's a demo of a low C cable in action.

If you're running low impedance pickup e.g EMGs, or an active circuit as found on electro-acoustics, active electric basses and other 'powered' instruments, then cable makes little difference to the sound quality.

Besides stepping and pulling on the cable, its life can extended by learning this simple technique...which very few people know about.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 PM

Go to Redco website and order one custom made to your specs, i.e., what cable, connectors, length,etc. I will say that Gepco X-Band is super clear cable IMO
Old 10-19-2018, 03:10 PM

I never got the bug for expensive cables, but for guitar patch cables I use what doesn't have connectivity problems but my usually go-to cable are the DiMarzio ones. Seem durable and the jacks are the kind that would make any fix at the jack end easy. I've got some Whirlwind cables in my box that probably go back to the Eighties too.

Yes, different cables at different lengths will put a different load on the signal and roll off highs a bit. In my old performing days with a Telecaster and a Fender amp, I used to use a curly cable, mostly because I'm a klutz and would trip over my own cable otherwise, and those cut more of the highs in general. It was only later that I heard that it was Hendrix's "secret weapon" to tame the Strat bridge pickup's treble. For home use and recording I use short cables which reduce the impact of the cable.

For XLR balanced cable I don't know if hear much of a difference between the ones I have. Could be my duff ears.

One thing for sure, at this point in my life, a lifetime warranty is too short.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-19-2018, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Well, even to my 67 year-old ears, good cable sounds a LOT better than lesser quality ones...

I use mogami wire with solid connectors, either Switchcraft or the like...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:21 PM

I use monster "acoustic" Cables.
about 20 years ago i bought one at my
lgs. It was 29 dollars iirc and i was flat out
pissed at the price ( i think they are 70 now)
I have replaced that cable 4! or 5 times
since under warranty . So although they
are a bit thick and stiff they are cheap enough
i guess. I will never have to buy another .
So my advise is bite the bullet on a well known
locally sourced lifetime warranty brand at a lgs near you. then you
can return it easily. I also buy mogami cable and nutrik connectors
and make my own. Cheaper then premade but not warrented.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Back in the day (around the year 2000) Guitar Player Mag did a remarkable comparison of everything from the cheapees to the most expensive on the basis of sound, long-term durability, and ruggedness. For example, the rest for ruggedness was to drop a cymbal edge-wise on the cable to see if they were damaged. They gave their results and we found out that many of extremely expensive brands didn't even sound as good, survive, or wear as well as the medium-grade ones. Their best value overall went to Horizon (now Rapco Horizon) brand tweed cables. I immediately rushed out and bought some 12' Horizon tweeds. Those cables have been the mainstay of my cable clutch ever since. Meanwhile my company has run through Whirlwind and other high-end cables and to my ears they've never sounded better.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-19-2018, 03:47 PM

Default reliable

Planet Waves American Stage series. Not as pricey as Mogami but rock solid. Neutrik plugs, American cable, fusion soldered her in the U.S. Lifetime warranted but I've never had any trouble with mine. After wrestling with cheap cables the peace of mind is worth it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification