The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-25-2018, 06:17 AM

Default Schertler Roy owners please chime in

I'm just curious about what Schertler Roy owners have to say about the amp after owning it for a while. I have a Schertler Unico which I love but I stumbled across a good deal on a Roy and I'm thinking about taking the plunge. The extra channels would be a welcome addition but my main concerns are weight and dispersion. From what I've read the amp fills the room nicely but I just wonder if there are any downfalls of using it on an amp stand compared to a traditional speaker on a stand. FYI I do have a traditional PA to interconnect to when needed. I now use the Unico as a small practice PA and haven't gigged with it but I'm thinking the Roy will have enough power and headroom to fill some bigger spaces.

Thoughts? Insights?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2018, 02:43 PM

I found this review:

https://youtu.be/YJzS6dpZpQ0
Old 05-29-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I found this review:

https://youtu.be/YJzS6dpZpQ0
Thanks for that. I saw that review recently and it's the best review I've seen on the amp. I did end up getting the Roy and all I can say what a versatile great sounding amp.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Default Schertler Roy owners please chime in

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Thanks for that. I saw that review recently and it's the best review I've seen on the amp. I did end up getting the Roy and all I can say what a versatile great sounding amp.

The reason I am interested in this amp is because I love my similar but far less powerful EAE D6-8 so much. I just love bringing in a single box, plugging my guitar and a couple of mics in and being ready to go.

The D6-8 is like a multichannel, full mixer version of a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. Absolutely wonderful for a variety of practice and small gig situations.

The Shertler Roy would give me the same convenience factor at larger gigs.

I would worry about sound dispersion though and not being able to get the high frequencies above the heads of a large standing crowd.

I’d love to hear your experiences as you start gigging with it.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:37 PM

I JUST bought a Roy from Shoreline (thanks, John).

I need to put it through its paces, but I am already pleased after playing with it for about an hour. Digital Reverb is very good and its ability to maintain an incredible reproduction of acoustic sound at high volumes is pretty amazing.

I've got a Bose L1 Compact and and AER Compact 60 that both do incredibly well, but when I played a wedding at a winery recently where people were dispersed over a large area, I knew I needed a bigger system.

I'll do a proper review with pics soon. Sucker is heavy, like 50 pounds. That is the only potential downside, but personally I am okay with it!
Old 10-23-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I would worry about sound dispersion though and not being able to get the high frequencies above the heads of a large standing crowd.
Here's a thread I started about getting off the ground... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=317315

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
Sucker is heavy, like 50 pounds.
This my only complaint about the Jam 400 but I bought a Jam 200 which I combine with a the Schertler Subwoofer 200 for those days where I have to hump it up a few flights of stairs. It's an extra item to schlep up the stairs but at least reasonable in weight.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 10-23-2018 at 02:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification