The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2018, 06:50 AM

Default Not digging my Fender Acoustasonic 150

I've had my Fender Acoustasonic 150 amp for several years and currently use it as my monitor at church. I've NEVER liked the sound out of this amp and I've tried about every setting on it. I'd like to replace it with a new acoustic combo amp, so I'm here asking for recommendations. What's your favorite and pros and cons of each. Thanks!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 AM

What are you NOT happy about with it? Have you tried different guitars/pickup systems? Do you use any pedals or FX?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-22-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tf

I play UltraSound AG-50 (DS4) as my main stage amp and it's smaller sibling AG-15M for smaller gigs.

What I like is UltraSound amps sound like a guitar when I play through them. Pretty much they sound like MY guitar (it's not ever going to be identical). Dean Markley currently sells them under it's label, but they have been around for over 20 years.

Dean Markley just acquired them about 5 years ago (and I don't think they've changed anything in the design or sound). I own one from each side of the sale and they are identical design and quality.

Other brands I appreciate and could live with are AER, Rivera, Humphrey, Fishman, Roland and most other amps with a pair of 8" two way speaker. I happen to like the tonal balance and projection of the UltraSound amps.

Any smaller than 8" or lacking a two way driver they tend to sound thin and/or not project well enough for my needs. I tried some with 4" drivers, 5" speakers and 3½" speakers. All were inferior to the UltraSounds I own.

You have not told us which pickup system you play through yours, how it's configured etc. Trying every setting is a lot different than setting-up-an-amp-properly. I'm not accusing you of not knowing how to set it up, but did include a description of a working-sound-tech's setup procedure for amps, mics, PA boards etc below.

If the pickup is less than stellar, chances are you are not going to appreciate it's sound through any amp.

Set Up Process…
  • To set up an amp/mic/channel in a PA, you flatten the EQ, Start with the gain (input volume) and bring it up till it barely distorts and then back it off a touch. With some PA boards you can do this without the main output even turned up. Amps you will probably need some output to allow the input to register.
  • Then you turn up the main output volume till you have the room volume you like.
  • Lastly…I set the tone controls by ear, and chase down grounding hum etc.

I elevate my amp-of-the-day 12"-30" off the ground, directly behind me about 3-5 feet. This gets rid of low-mid-mud and lets me hear it clearly without pushing it too hard. For band gigs (including worship teams) I put it waist high when I'm standing and aim it up slightly at the back of my head, and ask the sound techs to take my guitar out of my monitor.

If I'm sitting I have a shorter stand which puts it about head high directly behind me.

If you like reverb or delay, add it after the amp is setup and show restraint - a little goes a long way.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Fishman:

Loudbox - mini...artist... performer depending on your needs (phantom power for example). Great amps. (4300, $575, $800)

Fishman SA330 - great stick. $850 if you catch a sale.

Bose l1 Compact great stick. $850 if you catch a sale.

I have had all of these, and thought all had great sound (I didnt have the performer...)
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 AM

ljguitar thank you for that very informative post.......I and I am sure others will appreciate it....

I learn something new here every day......good thing I'm not rich or I would be going down one rabbit hole after the other with all the gear available.....

When did wood and wire and bone become so complicated?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
What are you NOT happy about with it? Have you tried different guitars/pickup systems? Do you use any pedals or FX?
I have 4 Taylor guitars I run through it. ES1.2, ES2, K&K Pure mini, Fishman Matrix Infinity. I use a Sure Wireless most times with it but occasionally a cord. I have a Dean Markley Ultrasound DI that I use if I'm running the Pure mini, but use the onboard preamps with the other three. If I'm using the DI in conjunction with it, I run the amp all flat and adjust on the DI. I HATE the Matrix Infinity as it's just quacky sounding no matter how it's adjusted. The ES systems I try to keep it flat and adjust on the guitars. The reason why I don't like the amp is that it never sounds natural and I only use the pure amp setting. I've messed around with the voicings on it, but I guess I don't want to fake my sound. The amp always sound quacky and never sounds like a good clean and pure tone. My buddy told me just yesterday that I should take my guitar to a store and play through several amps and see if its just me and not the amp. I may be chasing a sound that I'm not going to replicate with an amp.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
…My buddy told me just yesterday that I should take my guitar to a store and play through several amps and see if its just me and not the amp. I may be chasing a sound that I'm not going to replicate with an amp.
Hi Tf

Your buddy gave you good advice! That is how I discovered UltraSound amps in the first place (playing my guitar through amps in a large music store).

I kept telling my friend to turn the UltraSound up, and he said "I did!" So I walked over in front of it and played and it blew me away for great focused natural tone. The reason I had not 'heard' it was because I was expecting it to sound like the amps I'd already play through and it was very UN-amp-like.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-22-2018, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

LOL I have liked EVERY amp I've played through better than my Acoustisonic.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-22-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
LOL I have liked EVERY amp I've played through better than my Acoustisonic.
That’s what I’m afraid of!!

Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM

I have and Acoustasonic Jr that I use where the band rehearses

My mandolin and Acoustic goes into this, then out to the board. It does the job, but my other amps DO sound better

those are:
Fishman Loudbox Artist.. really, you just can't go wrong here.
Bose S1 Pro, this is a whole lotta awesomeness in a box the size of a toaster.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Pricey, but I love my new Henrickson BUD so check it out if possible. As far as bang for the buck, the Fishman Loudboxes are great IMO.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification