The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-31-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
As previously mentioned, both Meisner and Schmidt did stints with Poco. Ironically, Schmidt replaced Meisner in both Poco and the Eagles. Meisner also was member of Ricky Nelson’s Stone Canyon Band. Then you consider that Bernie Leadon was a Flying Burito Brother, and you can see that the Eagles owe a lot to those bands in terms of influence. Have said that, I think the Eagles developed a more polished pop-type vibe, which eluded bands like Poco and the others previously mentioned, which equated to popular and financial success.
In case you forgot, Poco had a few of their own “pop hits” that were pretty notable and would stand up to a number of Eagles tunes.
“In the Heart of the Night”, especially. Awesome song and it was a “top five” hit on Billboard.
I am a true Poco fan boy from day one and saw them live a few times.
No they didn’t fill arenas, but they sold out as headliners everywhere they played...everywhere.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-31-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

My favorite Poco:
Old 03-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

That's a good one, Marty! Kind of a bookend to Rose of Cimarron for me.

The Richie Furay era is my favorite, but it has been Rusty Young's band for a long, long time now
Old 03-31-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

In case you forgot, Poco had a few of their own “pop hits” that were pretty notable and would stand up to a number of Eagles tunes.
“In the Heart of the Night especially. Awesome song and it was a “top five” hit on Billboard.
I am a true Poco fan boy from day one and saw them live a few times.
No they didnÂ’t fill arenas, but they sold out as headliners everywhere they played...everywhere.
No, I didn’t forget. I have been a Poco a man from the beginning. To be honest, the few songs that charted never added up to much and certainly did not
garner the kind of success the Eagles had. But, that isn’t really the point and, more than likely, is why Poco was as consistent as they were. They had just enough potential to maintain a label’s (ABC/MCA) interest, which allowed them to continue to release albums, about 18 by my count. That is 18 of all new songs, not compilations or live albums. The Eagles don’t even come close to that for all their success and name recognition. In my mind it is not about hits or popularity, it’s about the integrity and quality of material over a length of time. By that criteria, it isn’t much of a contest. And just for the record look at what members of Poco have done- Richie Furay and Paul Cotton have produced some darn fine albums on their own. Not to mention what Jim Messina accomplished after leaving Poco.
In terms of live albums, Deliverin’ was killer in its day and still holds up well today!
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested

Last edited by Feste; 03-31-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
My favorite Poco:
That’s awesome.
I like this one too. Kinda’ got me hooked on them.
I know the Eagles harmonies are great and with apologies to the fans, but for me they can’t touch this.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-31-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Are the Eagles Overrated? in a word 'No" As Bob W mentioned ,,,,, Kinda hard to be overrated (what ever that actually means) with the biggest selling album in history, the first Platinum album in history, a slew of grammies etc etc,

Do I like and play songs from other groups and artists more yes ,,,,BUT

The Eagles were who they were. Like many of the iconic groups and artists in history they were creatures of time and place in music.
Attempting to "rate" groups or artists, IMO is kind of an exercise in futility

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-31-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Attempting to "rate" groups or artists, IMO is kind of an exercise in futility
I'd have to agree, however:
-It sure is fun sitting around the campfire (or in this case, the AGF) with other old dawgs kicking bands around and reliving the glory days.

- I would have to say a big chunk of my teenage years were futile by that definition
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 03-31-2021, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
I'd have to agree, however:
-It sure is fun sitting around the campfire (or in this case, the AGF) with other old dawgs kicking bands around and reliving the glory days.

- I would have to say a big chunk of my teenage years were futile by that definition
Oh the discussion is quite interesting. I was referring to the total subjectiveness of what constitutes being "rated" over or under, as being kind of futile because of being so totally individual .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 04-01-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Hit songs, in my book, have nothing to do with my "rating" of a group.
I think when it comes to a very prominent group it sorta does in a way... not in actual hits, but songs that are part of the cultural cannon. They have that megaphone so to speak, so if they're only real well known for a handful of songs it does matter IMO when comparing to groups like The Beatles or Stones, who had many dozen. They had an innate ability to create mini-cultural events again and again with their songwriting that go beyond creating fan favorites.

I feel like The Beatles, Stones, and Beach Boys are in a different category from the others - they really shaped music and culture in a visceral way

The Eagles (and other bands listed) were *great* though. They're part of maybe a couple dozen other bands that are staples of classic rock and were the backdrop of the period of time they existed in.

Last edited by brandall10; 04-01-2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I don't think you can say the Eagles were overrated when as many people loved them as did (and many still do). I grew up in Southern Arizona in the '70s, went to the same high school as Linda Ronstadt about a decade behind her, and she and her band (essentially the Eagles) were coming through town ALL THE TIME. Then they went out on their own, but the triple bill of Linda, Jackson Browne, and the Eagles came through Tucson ALL THE TIME until Blue Bayou and Hotel California, when Linda and the Eagles kept into a different stratosphere. I saw the Eagles a lot early on, I kind of grew up with them, I pretty much took them for granted.

Some days I really like the Eagles, some days I don't. They're not among my top 10, but you've gotta respect their songwriting and their sound (which changed massively when Joe Walsh showed up). It's like the Beatles - they're not in my top 10 either, but I recognize their greatness, I like them a lot, just not as much my taste as more blues based stuff like the Stones, Clapton, Hendrix, etc. But if I said they were overrated just because I didn't love them as much as a lot of people did, would obviously be ludicrous. I think the same thing is kind of at work with the Eagles, although it would be far less ludicrous to say they're overrated than to say that about the Beatles. At least with the Eagles, it's a semi-arguable question! But no, I don't think they're overrated. They wrote some great songs and Henley was one of the best singers of the era...

-Ray
Old 04-01-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
I think when it comes to a very prominent group it sorta does in a way... not in actual hits, but songs that are part of the cultural cannon. They have that megaphone so to speak, so if they're only real well known for a handful of songs it does matter IMO when comparing to groups like The Beatles or Stones, who had many dozen. They had an innate ability to create mini-cultural events again and again with their songwriting that go beyond creating fan favorites.

I feel like The Beatles, Stones, and Beach Boys are in a different category from the others - they really shaped music and culture in a visceral way

The Eagles (and other bands listed) were *great* though. They're part of maybe a couple dozen other bands that are staples of classic rock and were the backdrop of the period of time they existed in.
Again even this generalized criteria of "Hit songs" is ambiguous and subjective.
Are we talking Hits in the US ? In the UK ? numerous other charts around the world
NOT to mention :::
Does that mean actual #1 Hit ?... or in the top 10 ? ...or top 20, or 50, or simply making the Hot 100 list ? Who sets the bar ??????????????????

For example If we're talking actual #1 on the US Billboard Hot 100 the Beatles had the most ever (so far) 20 #1 hits

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-01-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post

I think you make some valid points here.
In order to have some semblance of comparison, one needs to define what is being compared. Since the word “overrated “ is vague and certainly subjective, it is helpful to list at least some comparatives or qualifiers and you did that.
Specifically, and as a for instance, the Beatles did have way more “hits” but they also had more albums and lots of singles.
As for the effect they had on pop music and music in general, they are inarguably the accepted standard by which others are measured.
Here are a couple of stat sites I found quite interesting:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...united-states/

Here’s another stat base on units sold:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...s-of-all-time/

Once again for clarity, I posted this question for the sake of discussion.
I have my own opinion which I may or may not disclose.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 04-01-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I have my own opinion which I may or may not disclose.
You are entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
You are entitled to your own opinion, even if it's wrong.
Likewise

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN