The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Question A question

I have a question, which may seem dumb, but I thought that I would ask: I had gotten a Martin 0X1-e, the hpl mahogany print. Truthfully it sounds great for hpl and it is what I will taking out with me going to my Mom's (she'd had both her Covid shots for a while and we finally got our 2nd one Thursday so in a few weeks, we can get together for dinner again.) My question is that with this being hpl, should I put a humidifier pack in the case like I do with my others, or not? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but any opinions would truly be appreciate
Old 04-17-2021, 06:59 PM

Being HPL, I don’t think you’d need to humidify the guitar.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Being HPL, I don’t think you’d need to humidify the guitar.
Yeah, maybe if you're going into an extreme environment like 0-10% humidity, you should take precautions, but otherwise high pressure laminate wood is not very sensitive to low humidity.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:12 PM

I believe that the "1" in the model number indicates that the top is solid wood (spruce). I'd suggest that you humidify your guitar if the climate is dry or whenever the A/C or furnace is on a lot.
Old 04-17-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
I believe that the "1" in the model number indicates that the top is solid wood (spruce). I'd suggest that you humidify your guitar if the climate is dry or whenever the A/C or furnace is on a lot.
I agree. If the guitar is all HPL, I wouldn't care about humidity. If it has a one-piece top, you might take some precautions.

That said, I have a DX1-AE, which has a solid spruce top. I don't monitor or care for the conditions in which that guitar is stored. It's doing fine. Of course, I'm in California where conditions are generally pretty benign.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
Naw it actually is an all hpl guitar, the smallest. I know that the Made in Mexico Martin's don't seem to get a lot of love around here unlike there USA made counterparts, but this one seemed to be the right size for taking to my Mom's house in addition to it being hpl. I may need to get a smallish acoustical amp for leaving there, but unplugged (the only way I have tried it so far) it sounds great. I think this, along with my Outdoor tenor Moonshine Gold ukulele, will be perfect for taking to my Mom's to play when we get back together for lunch and Scrabble in person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion