The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Froggy Bottom owners - anyone try using a compensated saddle?

Anyone experiment with a compensated saddle on a Froggy? I know they pretty much all come with straight saddles.

So, curious if any Froggy owners have had intonation issues (perhaps in certain tunings, or with certain strings/gauges) and how you have addressed that.

The following was posted quite a while back...so not sure if since then, there have been more who have experimented with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
I bought a new Froggy Bottom guitar and came to find out that they all ship with straight saddles. I once started a thread aimed at Froggy owners to see if anyone was having the same intonation problems I was having. Everyone seemed to think there was no need for compensation on their instruments. But I went ahead and compensated the saddle myself and it made a world of difference to me. When you read about the physics of it all, it would seem a no brainer that compensation should be used on every guitar.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

First of all, the saddles that come with Froggy Bottoms are thin, so you can’t compensate them much. My intonation was spot on for my H-12 and C, so no compensation was ever needed. I felt that my K model would benefit and I brought it to my guitar tech. He compensated the saddle a bit and it has been great for 6 years. I bought a new M model a year ago and the only string that would benefit from compensation is the low E, which runs a little sharp at the 5th fret. Covid slowed things down and I’ve delayed getting a setup on the M. I have an appointment for a setup next week and plan to have him look at compensation at that time. While it’s easy to find a “happy” tuning for the Low E, I think a slight adjustment will be easy and welcomed. I find the action to be a bit high, so I’d like to see what happens when he looks over the entire setup. Perhaps dropping the E string with help intonation of that string.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

I have to admit to not knowing the saddles are not compensated. I know adjusting the truss rod is tricky but I’ve had my K for 13 years now and have only noticed buzzing with a new string where it does not seat well, usually one of the treble strings. Maybe some use a Spring and Autumn saddle?
Old 04-02-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
First of all, the saddles that come with Froggy Bottoms are thin, so you can’t compensate them much. My intonation was spot on for my H-12 and C, so no compensation was ever needed. I felt that my K model would benefit and I brought it to my guitar tech. He compensated the saddle a bit and it has been great for 6 years. I bought a new M model a year ago and the only string that would benefit from compensation is the low E, which runs a little sharp at the 5th fret. Covid slowed things down and I’ve delayed getting a setup on the M. I have an appointment for a setup next week and plan to have him look at compensation at that time. While it’s easy to find a “happy” tuning for the Low E, I think a slight adjustment will be easy and welcomed. I find the action to be a bit high, so I’d like to see what happens when he looks over the entire setup. Perhaps dropping the E string with help intonation of that string.
I would be interested to know how that adjustment and compensation goes on the M...whenever that happens. I'm having the same low E issues, esp with thicker gauge strings...and like you said, I have to drop the tuning a half-step to get better intonation.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
I would be interested to know how that adjustment and compensation goes on the M...whenever that happens. I'm having the same low E issues, esp with thicker gauge strings...and like you said, I have to drop the tuning a half-step to get better intonation.
A half step seems like a lot. I’m off by a couple-few cents at most, and only on the Low E at the 5th fret and beyond. This is in line with some of my other guitars I’ve had that came with compensated saddles. Also, luckily for me, I don’t seem to notice the slightly sharp tone on the Low E string much even if I don’t adjust the tuning on that string, so not such a big deal in my case. I thought the K was a bit too far off for my liking & proceeded with the adjustment. In any case, I will let you know what transpires. I’ve been told that it’s easier to keep intonation in hand with shorter scales, but I have no idea if this is true or not.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 04-02-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
A half step seems like a lot. I’m off by a couple-few cents at most, and only on the Low E at the 5th fret and beyond. This is in line with some of my other guitars I’ve had that came with compensated saddles. Also, luckily for me, I don’t seem to notice the slightly sharp tone on the Low E string much even if I don’t adjust the tuning on that string, so not such a big deal in my case. I thought the K was a bit too far off for my liking & proceeded with the adjustment. In any case, I will let you know what transpires. I’ve been told that it’s easier to keep intonation in hand with shorter scales, but I have no idea if this is true or not.
I meant that if I drop my tuning by a half step, I don't get noticeable intonation issues even at 5th fret and beyond.

But yes, thank you in advance for letting me know your outcome!
Old 04-16-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
I meant that if I drop my tuning by a half step, I don't get noticeable intonation issues even at 5th fret and beyond.

But yes, thank you in advance for letting me know your outcome!
I just got my Froggy M back from a setup and it needed lowering at the nut and saddle. I believe he said the Low E was at 1/8” when he started. My Truss Rod adjustment was just fine. After the setup, the guitar plays like a dream and the intonation is great on all strings with no need to compensate the saddle.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:14 AM

No intonation issues on the three we have.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 04-17-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Zero issues. Compensation does not seem necessary.
Old 04-17-2021, 02:34 PM

For what it's worth, none of the customshop historic gibsons have compensated nuts, and mine intonates fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion