The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-17-2021, 03:52 AM

Default Add-on armrest for Seagull minijumbo (JP? Gewa? Chinese?)

Hi

I hope this fits under the guitar set-up umbrella!

Usually I wear a (hardshell) padded sleeve when playing, which works great for my resonator held in classical position. Annoyingly, since I've begun to rest my mini-jumbo on my right leg using a strap to maintain a "shifted classical" position I find that the shell sits either too low on my arm (thus catching on the edge) or, if I move the sleeve up my arm, it restricts blood flow.

I'm thus looking for an add-on armrest that will attach at the proper position - rather at 7-8 o'clock than at 9 o'clock as the normal John Pearse armrest seems to be designed for (normal meaning the RH model for a RH player).

According to the templates I printed and cut out, the regular LH JP armrest should be an acceptable fit (their new jumbo model might be for full-size jumbos?) and I like the fact that it attaches to the guitar side instead of the top. Trouble is, I can only seem to find it for sale outside the EU (UK, US) which means the price more than doubles due to shipping and import duties (despite the fact that France has a 100 or 150€ mininum under which import tax isn't required).

Gewa also have an armrest for acoustic guitars (bonus for having a version in maple) but it attaches to the top and thus might not resist so well to the weight/pressure from my arm combined with the inevitable humid heat.

So...

- does anyone know where I could order this armrest from within the EU or (glup...) a country like China?
- does anyone have experience with the Gewa armrest, on a Seagull mini jumbo?
- Any other suggestions for good alternatives for this guitar? How about the slim models (e.g. from Yibuy) one finds on amazon and aliiexpress? There are loads of mostly (very) positive reviews about them but many of them do mention adjusting the fit. (I actually kinda like the one with the floral and abalone inlay, which would make for a nice wink to the J200 )

Edelkitsch

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair