The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-18-2021, 12:35 PM

Default 'An Ode to the Greatest Bob Dylan Song You [maybe] Haven’t Heard'

"..Unless you’re a Dylan fanatic, you’ve probably never heard of “Up to Me,” an outtake that Dylan recorded for Blood on the Tracks but opted to leave off the album. I first heard it in the late ’90s, when I was in college and in the full bloom of my first flash of “intense young man” Dylan fandom. “Up to Me” was first released on the 1985 box set Biograph, with only minimal background provided in the Cameron Crowe–penned liner notes. (For years, the only version in circulation was a cover by Roger McGuinn from his 1976 album Cardiff Rose.) While Crowe referred to “Up to Me” as “one of the treasures of the set,” Dylan was typically cryptic about the song’s 12th and final verse, in which he engages in some seemingly straight-forward self-mythology: “If we never meet again, baby, remember me / How my lone guitar played sweet for you that old-time melody / And the harmonica around my neck, I blew it for you, free / No one else could play that tune, you know it was up to me.”

“I don’t think of myself as Bob Dylan,” the artist formerly known as Robert Zimmerman told Crowe when pressed for comment on “Up to Me.” “It’s like Rimbaud said: ‘I is another.’”

https://www.theringer.com/music/2018...-series-review

Last edited by Carey; 03-18-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:42 PM

I've long harbored a suspicion that Dylan was a charlatan all along - that all of the seemingly deep, hidden, allegorical references were simply the result of finding the words that rhymed. I wonder if he was smirking and winking at us all along for falling for it.

That said, the man can write like no one's business!
Old 03-18-2021, 12:51 PM

The guy's a polarizing figure, isn't he (hoo boy!)?

Maybe he's a charlatan *and* a genius..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN