The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-25-2021, 12:57 PM

Smile NGB: Flammang CL60

The idea of New Guitar Baptism instead of NGD is to give an idea of what new guitar sounds like. To me even chord strums are more interesting than a photo. (But I like new guitar pics too.) Of course, an amateur recording probably won't adequately show a true sound. Hey, I said this was an idea, not necessarily a good idea. My first single-luthier guitar. Flammang #268. Spruce/Braz. 650/52mm. Bouchet style.

Baptismal recording: Lagrima. Incorporated a few mistakes, for variety.
Chose not to embed here because (at least my) in-browser app is worse in sound quality than Soundcloud player. WAV file. (Please lemme know if that's the wrong approach for other reasons.)
Single take, no reverb, no EQ, no comp, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/frank-hoopsmith/lagrima-ngb
Old 02-25-2021, 01:13 PM

Default Uh, oh

Just discovered the volume is inadequate over mobile phone, but sounded okay over computer and headphones. The highs spots were -6 db, and I was previously advised to not exceed that, in general. So is this all about introducing compression, then amplifying output level?
Thanks.

Last edited by FrankHS; 02-25-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 AM

Sounds like a lovely guitar Frank - enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-26-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Just discovered the volume is inadequate over mobile phone, but sounded okay over computer and headphones. The highs spots were -6 db, and I was previously advised to not exceed that, in general. So is this all about introducing compression, then amplifying output level?
Thanks.

Not sure how you’re processing your files Frank, but -6db peaks is good for input, but you’re going to want a little more in a file for output. I generally aim for -14 LUFS which I achieve with a limiter in Ozone. I set it to ensure virtually no compression is hitting the file.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Not sure how you’re processing your files Frank, but -6db peaks is good for input, but you’re going to want a little more in a file for output. I generally aim for -14 LUFS which I achieve with a limiter in Ozone. I set it to ensure virtually no compression is hitting the file.
If you want to avoid clipping, -6dB max peaks will keep you safe. When you do post processing, I think you can raise your output levels with the master controls in your DAW, correct Peter?

Also, there’s a tool called normalizing in (I believe) all DAW’s that raises the output levels to just under a clipping level. I’ve seen that listed as a mastering tools in some video tutorials.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:22 PM

Thank you Wrighty and SprintBob. I now have an idea of the difference between "normalize," which involves LUFS level, and "amplify," which I took a guess at (in Audacity.) Looks like "normalize" is the way to go. And, I didnt realize that -6 db (safe input) is not realistic limit for output. Good tips, thanks.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Thank you Wrighty and SprintBob. I now have an idea of the difference between "normalize," which involves LUFS level, and "amplify," which I took a guess at (in Audacity.) Looks like "normalize" is the way to go. And, I didnt realize that -6 db (safe input) is not realistic limit for output. Good tips, thanks.

Frank, I would try to use a limiter to carefully raise levels or just use the slider rather than reach for the normalise button first.

Ozone is a great set of tools including a very good EQ and what they call “Maximiser” which does a great job of analysing the music and raising to your target levels. It’s worth a look for your purposes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical