The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 neck - again :)

I ordered a custom X20 a couple of months ago to replace my Blackbird Savoy (fantastic guitar but a bit small for my taste comfort wise).

I'm really struggling to figure out what the neck will be like. I know a few threads already exist on the topic, but impossible to find the info I'm looking for. I've seen a few comparisons on the forum with guitars I never played or just briefly tried, and I couldn't find any actual measurements. Even Alistair couldn't send me sections of the neck at different frets as there are no existing sketches.

Does anyone have measurements of the X20 neck?
If not, how would you describe it? For comparison purpose, I find the modified V neck of my Collings OM1 very comfortable (1.75" nut), I was OK with the neck of the Savoy (but would have changed it for the Collings one if possible!), and I don't really like the neck of my Journey OF660.

Otherwise, does anyone know how to proceed to get the exact dimensions and profile of a neck in order to copy it? No point of paying a lot of extra $$$$ if I can't provide the correct inputs
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Tøf, if you’ve tried a Taylor or can get to try one, I’d say the Emerald profile is similar except that the Emerald is a little fuller near the upper frets.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Tøf, if you’ve tried a Taylor or can get to try one, I’d say the Emerald profile is similar except that the Emerald is a little fuller near the upper frets.
I was going to say the X20 neck profile is "like drinking nectar of the Gods while riding a unicorn on a tropical spring day"... but Acousticado's description above is good, too.

I had the opportunity to play the Savoy at our Phoenix gathering in February and found it to be a delight to play; very comfortable neck. The X20 is probably a bit fuller, but just as comfortable. I would put it between a Taylor and the RainSong N2/NS neck for thickness, but closer in feel to the Taylor than the RainSong. 24.5" scale on the Savoy vs the 25.5" on the X20.

My perspective: the X20 feels and sounds like a bigger guitar because it is. Alistair's design magic makes the X20 SO comfortable.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Mmmmh... first I thought "Wooooow sounds like a cool trip" but then I started to freak out. Is the unicorn horn more a C or V shape? Will it be comfy enough for me to enjoy the ride?

Old 04-23-2018, 04:05 PM

Tøf:

I don't have first hand experience with this, but if you're ordering a custom neck, my understanding is that Emerald can send you a kit that will enable you to take an impression (for lack of a better term) of any neck and have them duplicate it.

So, if you really like the neck on your Collings, use what they send you on that neck, send it back to them, and they should be able to duplicate it (or come very close).
Old 04-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

If you ordered a custom, why not specify a custom neck shape you like? That's what I did.

Like you, I like modified V necks a lot. So much so that I ordered my custom X20 have a modified V neck.

I had owned two Emeralds prior to my custom and I did not like their stock neck at all. Kind of a full C shape.

You should post where you're from. You might have someone near you with an Emerald they can let you try.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I call the Emerald a flattened D shape. If that makes sense....very comfortable. Definitely NOT a V shape.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I call the Emerald a flattened D shape. If that makes sense....very comfortable. Definitely NOT a V shape.
I have found the Journey OF660 necks to have a flattened back. It's one of the few non-V neck shapes I like. But the OP has stated that he does not like them.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all of you for your inputs!!

I don't like that much the feel of the steep shoulders combined to a flat back on the OF660, and based on what I read the neck on the Emerald might be similar.
I'll contact Alistair today (again ) to ask him about this kit.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Tøf, I don't have the X20 in recent memory, but I do have an X10 and a Savoy. Played both of them last night.

The X10 theoretically has the same neck as the X20 and it is flat and wide and compared to the Savoy.

When I ordered my X10 I sent Alistair the specs on my thin neck GX (my preferred neck) and was assured that the X10 was a similar "shallow C."

It's not. It's OK, but if you're sensitive to neck profiles your "due diligence" on the X20 neck is a good idea.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:15 AM

One nice thing about Emeralds: If you end up not bonding with the neck on your X20, you should be able to quite easily flip it without losing much $$. These seem to get snapped up rather quickly on the sale pages here, Reverb, eBay, etc., so it's a low-risk proposition.

I am currently agonizing over getting a second CF (I have an old center-soundhole X7) in a larger size. I simply can't decide between an X20, A Rainsong CH-OM/WS or a CA OX/GX. Talk about first-world problems!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
One nice thing about Emeralds: If you end up not bonding with the neck on your X20, you should be able to quite easily flip it without losing much $$. These seem to get snapped up rather quickly on the sale pages here, Reverb, eBay, etc., so it's a low-risk proposition.

I am currently agonizing over getting a second CF (I have an old center-soundhole X7) in a larger size. I simply can't decide between an X20, A Rainsong CH-OM/WS or a CA OX/GX. Talk about first-world problems!
Those are pretty solid options. I own a Cargo, once owned a GXi, and considered both the X20 and CH-OM. I ordered an X20 (to arrive in May) in part because I had owned a 6/12 Chimaera, so I know the neck feel and somewhat the tone (different animals). I hope to audition a CH-OM some day...haven’t encountered one.

Good luck. First world problem, for sure!
Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I was going to say the X20 neck profile is "like drinking nectar of the Gods while riding a unicorn on a tropical spring day"...
Wouldn't you have to be a virgin to do that? Would it be worth it?
Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Strumalot your direct comparison between the Savoy and the X20 is very useful, thanks!

Bsman, even if it should be fairly easy to sell a X20 if needed I would rather get it right the first time and not wait another 4 months

I talked to Alistair today and he said he would make some sketches of the neck section at different frets so I can have a better idea of the profile.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
Wouldn't you have to be a virgin to do that? Would it be worth it?
Ummm... no. Just, no.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber