The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-22-2018, 01:13 PM

Default question about taylor electric "builder reserve"

So, I was looking around and found a really nice looking 2008 Taylor solidbody "builder's reserve" guitar. It has a pretty beautiful walnut body, gorgeous deluxe suede case, exotic vine pearl inlay, etc. My question is actually about a comment that I read. I can't find a whole lot of information about this limited run, except that it (maybe?) launched the line of solidbody electrics and all the guitars were made from one Bastogne walnut tree.

anyway, the thing is beautiful and looks like a worthy collectible, however, I read a comment that I don't understand. I was looking for info, and stumbled across a youtube video of someone with another guitar from the same series, but it didn't offer hardly any information at all. One of the responses, though, in the youTube comments, said "nice guitar...but very unfortunate if you're one of the unlucky ones who plunked down $8,000 and then got screwed by Bob Taylor". So.... what exactly does this mean? The guitar I'm looking at, while not cheap, is nowhere near 8 grand. i just don't understand the sentiment and was wondering if someone can clarify. I don't know whether this is a collectible or possibly a fine guitar, worthy of jumping on, or something to stay away from, but that comment made me curious and worried me just a bit.

anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with these models and could shed a little light on this. thanks
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 04-22-2018, 03:36 PM

I've never heard anything so I did some Googling but couldn't find anything. I'm wondering if it's related to Taylor's proprietary electronics turning off potential buyers?

Or, it was over priced to begin with.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:35 PM

Just a guess, but the comment may be related to the fact that they discontinued the solid body series, and also related to the discussions about the proprietary hardware like the bridge that has broken for some folks...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars