The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-19-2018, 02:47 PM

Default Unfilled spaces after a refret. Is this normal?

I just got a guitar back from a refret and noticed that there are tiny holes that the new fret's tangs weren't able to fill. It looks a bit odd and was wondering if this is normal or if the guitar tech did a subpar job.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Picture, pleazy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I just had a deja vu moment. I swore I read the exact same question (almost word for word) a month ago. Seriously.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I just had a deja vu moment. I swore I read the exact same question (almost word for word) a month ago. Seriously.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=504190
Old 04-19-2018, 05:23 PM

Seen from the side, the tang not reaching the bottom of the cut? If the frets are solid, shouldn't they be fine? However, is there a putty that could have been applied to the sides, that would have improved the look of it with just a wee bit extra effort?
Old 04-19-2018, 06:09 PM

The tangs should not reach the bottom of the fret slot, thus the small gap. The gaps can be filled in. Some use burn in lacquer, black or brown to match the FB, others use a combination of glue (i.e. crazy glue) and fine saw dust or pigment to match the board. Crazy glue works well because it has a refractive index similar to that of lacquer. The finish can be touched up and polished.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 PM

Linseed oil mixed with wood putty is a good filler that has some flexibility to it.

We use it for filling the gaps around Taylor necks when refitting them, I have also used it on fret edges for a cleaner look.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-24-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHalliday View Post
The tangs should not reach the bottom of the fret slot, thus the small gap. The gaps can be filled in. Some use burn in lacquer, black or brown to match the FB, others use a combination of glue (i.e. crazy glue) and fine saw dust or pigment to match the board. Crazy glue works well because it has a refractive index similar to that of lacquer. The finish can be touched up and polished.
Glue and sanding dust works GREAT! Crazy glue is "crazy". Easy to make a mess that is hard to clean.

DIY: Get some wood. Make sanding or filing dust. Use carpenters glue. Make a paste. Fill it in, flatten it. Repeat after dried (probably will be some shrinkage). Clean the next day with COTTON balls (not absorbant puffs) dampened slightly with water. Done!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-24-2018, 02:11 PM

I really don't understand the desire to fill these.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM

I understand it, it looks awful and I would have to look at it every day. How irritating. The two guitars I have dont show space and the last guitar I sold didnt. I didnt ask for it they just came that way. I assumed that was part of a good job. I wouldnt be taking my guitar back to a place that used that shortcut.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:33 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Me neither, but I often see an extreme desire for cosmetic perfection. And to be fair, I've been guilty of it myself times, but I'm getting better! That's not to say we should excuse sloppy workmanship, but I think we misplace priorities. This is a fine example of that sort of fixation on something that shouldn't matter. Just my opinion.

In your case, and mine too but to a lesser degree, you have great vintage instruments pass through your hands. When you find the great ones without significant damage or alterations, an "issue" like the tiny space at the bottom of the fret slots is beyond irrelevant. Additionally, adding finish or something else to fill that space could actually be detrimental to the value of a vintage instrument and add nothing to function.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
it looks awful and I would have to look at it every day.
Two words: bound fingerboards.

If one doesn't like a color contrast, use fingerboard binding of the same wood as the fingerboard. Ebony-on-ebony, for example, is nearly invisible.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

I don’t like the look OR the feel of through frets, especially after the original frets have been replaced. It is much easier to get a clean fill job before the finish is put on. This is much of why I only make bound fingerboards, which are much easier to to do clean refretting in, despite the common practice of charging more for bound fingerboards.

When I do have to refret an unbound fingerboard, I usually use a Moser wax stick to do the fret slot fill. It is very quick, non invasive, and though it seems soft for the job, holds well in the long run and doesn’t make the third refret harder for that eventual technician, so a kindness.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
In your case, and mine too but to a lesser degree, you have great vintage instruments pass through your hands.
I have been a full-time vintage guitar repairman for 33 years. I have had thousands of 1930's Martins pass through my hands (literally), and none of them had the fret slots filled.
As a result, I don't routinely fill the slots on the guitars I build or on refrets, unless specifically requested.
One exception is when the slots have been deepened too much by previous careless repairmen.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
My take on it, John...

1) It is ugly. Cosmetics.

2) It allows hand gunk (or beer, or drool, god forbid!!) to get into the fret slot, and it may indeed be a contributing factor to fret ends lifting after some time has transpired.

Hence, since it is EASY PEASY to rectify, it is a no-brainer for me to just fill them.

And as an aside or as an additional thought... I MUCH prefer bound fingerboards.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair