The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Default "ESTEBAN" Update

Not looking for flames or jokes-just thought at least Mike Dunn would like to know--and maybe a couple of you: The "prize Esteban" I gave to our Camp is trucking along well (went out for a visit two weeks ago). So far, no implosion, neck is o.k. and one of the Staff actually "copped" it for the duration of her stay (although she shares! ). Anyway, the "Johnny Cash" model appears to be weathering huge temp/humidity shifts (i.e.: 70's during the day-upper 50's at night...to...90º days and 73º dewpoints at night). I'll tell you one thing: a goodly number of staff/adults were quite curious as to what the "Acoustic Guitar Forum" was-and of course I had emailed the Director (Lee) with the thread with the pix of the hammed-up "presentation," so it was good P.R. for AGF!)

Frankly, I couldn't be happier the guitar found a great home and is getting the hel! played out of it. Esty did o.k. I think on this one-although it is grossly overpriced, even WITH the 2 DVD's, strap, pick and extra strings. Hey-not looking for "kudos"--just a kind of FWIW in case anyone was curious. OK. No one was. Well...it's on "the record."

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 08-01-2007, 07:10 AM

tks for the update. I think it would be great if at least every six months to a year to hear how the Great Prize was holding up. It might actually shock some of us. But then again it might not.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
Not looking for flames or jokes-just thought at least Mike Dunn would like to know--and maybe a couple of you: The "prize Esteban" I gave to our Camp is trucking along well (went out for a visit two weeks ago). So far, no implosion, neck is o.k. and one of the Staff actually "copped" it for the duration of her stay (although she shares! ). Anyway, the "Johnny Cash" model appears to be weathering huge temp/humidity shifts (i.e.: 70's during the day-upper 50's at night...to...90º days and 73º dewpoints at night). I'll tell you one thing: a goodly number of staff/adults were quite curious as to what the "Acoustic Guitar Forum" was-and of course I had emailed the Director (Lee) with the thread with the pix of the hammed-up "presentation," so it was good P.R. for AGF!)

Frankly, I couldn't be happier the guitar found a great home and is getting the hel! played out of it. Esty did o.k. I think on this one-although it is grossly overpriced, even WITH the 2 DVD's, strap, pick and extra strings. Hey-not looking for "kudos"--just a kind of FWIW in case anyone was curious. OK. No one was. Well...it's on "the record."
Well now, you actually adimited it. You like the Esteban guitar. Don't worry we wont hold it agains't you. Good for you!
Taylor "04" K22CE-L30 Koa/Koa
Taylor "06" 914CE fall limited Coco/Engel.
Baby Taylor
Collings "01" D3 EIR/Sitka
Martin "1939" 0-17 Mahog.
Ovation "86" Anniversary
Gibson R7 Goldtop
Carvin DC400
Carvin strat
Epiphone MIJ Fujigen Elite Les Paul

http://www.reverbnation.com:80/marcocatracchia
Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM

This is probably the first time (on the internet) that I have heard an actual report on an Esteban after it's been used for awhile. And this one was used at a summer camp, no less. Intersting......It's nice to see that the Este has done well. I'm glad to hear it. While I don't want one, your report sheds new light on the Esteban topic. Thanks for the positive feedback, although that won't stop the critics who know less about the Estebans than we do.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the update Folkstrum!
Tokai Love Rock
Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 AM

i love this whole estaban thing, yay!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 PM

In an inadvertant way this is the second of my guitars that have been given away to a good and needy home. A couple of years ago I gave my old Ovation to a local church. I used the AGF to advertise the availablility and I got 6 instant requests for the guitar.

It too is used for guitar lessons so we will be adding to the list of guitar players in the world.

Good for us. Thus the symbol for patting ones self on the back.

To change the subect just slightly CBS Nightly News did a story on Chinese made Violins. They are very good at making entry level and mid level voilins. These involve some degree of hand carving & shaping of sound boards and necks. According to the story China makes about 600,000 inexpensive violins a year.

The heads of these companies are bringing in world class violin makers to train their top people.

I am sure the same is taking place in the guitar manufacturing business as well.

Watch out. Over the next 20 years it could get interesting.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 08-01-2007, 08:31 PM

I dare say that the Esteban that found it's way to this camp is a far better instrument than the first guitar I owned. I confess I enjoy poking fun at the Esteban's over-the-top marketing claims, but the terrible guitar that I started with was a doorway to a lifetime of musical enjoyment. OK, so far, at least! If an even worse guitar can do that, then maybe I need to lighten up on the Esteban fun poking.

Naaaaah...

cotten
Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Cotten, I agree with you. It is fun to joke about him and his guitars. I don't want one of his guitars. I don't want his black hat. I don't want fingernails like his. I don't want his shades. What I do want is his picking ability. The man is one-hell-of-a-picker. And I don't mind him dressing all in black. I like the Cash look, although the hat tends to kill it.........Of course, Esteban probably wears the hat "all the way to the bank."

Beyond that, I was disappointed in Folkstrum's report to a degree, because he never told us how the guitar worked as a canoe paddle.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriPicker View Post
<del>...Beyond that, I was disappointed in Folkstrum's report to a degree, because he never told us how the guitar worked as a canoe paddle.
Nope-left that part out! Do you think these angelic yoot would EVER take Seṇr Esteban for a canoe trip as a PADDLE????

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion