The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 09:45 PM

Default V-bracing already exists in 2012?

http://www.gitaarnet.nl/forum/showth...-X-Y-Z-bracing

Old 03-15-2018, 10:03 PM

This has been brought up earlier in a previous V-class bracing thread.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-15-2018, 10:54 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
This has been brought up earlier in a previous V-class bracing thread.
Correct. Merged.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
I don't know if this has been said but Taylor Guitars own an important plant in Amsterdam where they do the repair and setting work for their European guitars owners.
t's not unlikely at all then, that someone in their staff may have seen that drawing...Was Andy Powers aware of the idea when he started working on his own V bracing is an other question...
Does anybody know the name of the guy who designed the bracing shown in this thread (I don't understand Dutch and didn't read much more than the 1st page on this one) ?

Thanks
I can't imagine Andy or anyone else in Amsterdam got the V-bracing idea from the Dutch "Gitaarnet" Forum. It's just an unfortunate coincidence for Taylor that V-bracing was published in the public domain already in 2012. For us, players, it is good. I predict a whole bunch of economically priced V-braced guitars from the orient being introduced very soon. As long as they stick to an exact copy of the Belgian design, they will be 100% safe. So those who like V-brace guitars won't have to spend the price of a car. In fact, the Dutch are already speaking about the VLF (V-bracing Liberation Front).

Last edited by Picker2; 03-16-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker2 View Post
.... the Dutch are already speaking about the VLF (V-bracing Liberation Front).
Now I don't care where you stand on this topic, but that right there is funny!

Old 03-16-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picker2 View Post
There are indeed several threads about V-bracing, but each one discusses a different aspect. This one is about the patent issue, another one was about the marketing style, a third one was about how bracing can or cannot affect intonation.

Particularly with the large number of reactions it seems only logical to me to keep the threads separated, in order to keep the discussions better structured.
I agree with Picker 2. These threads are different.

I'll add v-bracing is a very "hot" topic right now. Even the importance of v-bracing is a point of debate. Seems to me this is why we keep getting new threads as people consider different aspects. It will tone down (pun intended over time). But in the meantime, isn't this sort of discussion the point of forums like this?
Old 03-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I agree with Picker 2. These threads are different.

I'll add v-bracing is a very "hot" topic right now. Even the importance of v-bracing is a point of debate. Seems to me this is why we keep getting new threads as people consider different aspects. It will tone down (pun intended over time). But in the meantime, isn't this sort of discussion the point of forums like this?
RyanR, you're my buddy!
I'll pay you a beer first time we meet.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
But in the meantime, isn't this sort of discussion the point of forums like this?
IMHO, yes. I love a good heated debate, and feel like a lot of good can often come from disagreements. The longer a debate lasts, the more opposing sides become introduced to ideas that they sometimes otherwise wouldn't even think about.

I've had my mind changed several times in good discussions. I don't agree with bashing and whatnot, but there seems to be more posts about dead horses these days than good discussion. Now I get that 27 V Braced threads are annoying, but it's a hot topic. Debate and learn!

If Taylor feels like V Bracing is worth putting all the eggs in the Proverbial basket, more power to them. But I still have a hard time seeing this as the biggest innovation of Taylor.

"Of all of Taylor Guitars' innovations, this could be the biggest..." - Bob Taylor
Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
...but there seems to be more posts about dead horses these days than good discussion.
AMEN! I owe you a beer too my friend!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
...I love a good heated debate, and feel like a lot of good can often come from disagreements. The longer a debate lasts, the more opposing sides become introduced to ideas that they sometimes otherwise wouldn't even think about. ...
I agree with your first part.

But the second part presumes that a continuing heated debate brings up new information, new opinions, new perspectives, etcetera. For those I agree.

But, it seems (to me) that heated debates are passionate and become emotionally charged. Then if the debate continues and new information isn't added, the only recourse is to say the same old thing with more conviction, or louder or angrier.

And then protracted heated debates devolve into unpleasant, often personal, arguments.

I love a good constructive dialogue (search my posts. I've eaten enough crow in my AGF time to get me through a whole winter. So I have no problem accepting a new position. Where these feel like "beating a dead horse" is when it feels like it's the same thing said again, without that new perspective or new information or new idea.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Interesting. I said in another thread about the V-bracing, that it is difficult for me to believe that with the hundreds (or thousands) of people who are, and have been, building guitars for a few hundred years, nobody ever considered every possible new thing that could be done with wood acoustic guitars and bracing. I could se new ideas with carbon fiber guitars, because that whole area is still very new. But wood guitars have been around a very long time, and these days, everybody seems to be building them. At least some percentage of these folks are likely experimenting.

Tony

I wondered the same thing, Tony.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Default trying to understand soundboards

From an outside point of view,

Wood is wood, soundboards have been experimented with since this

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...en?oq=US72591A

and been experimented with ever since 1867 ?

IS there any empirical hard science on this soundboard subject.?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:26 AM

As a German luthier, I contacted the Dutch designer of the V-bracing concept.

He replied that I am not the only curious person, apparently there are also other and larger builders (manufacturers even) who want to know his opinion on the concept, and the acquisition of the rights to his drawing in relation to the Taylor patent.

To be continued?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
Wow, it's all sounding a bit murky.
Recording King RO227
Fender FR-50
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Blueridge BR 180
Eastman E10 SS/v

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-25-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Edited quote

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
vbracing