The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

My first Flammang was an RS-35, David's take on a Roy Smeck. At the time I had a '37 Smeck Stage Deluxe and it was very hard to separate the guitars by ear. David nailed the tone. BUT, the Flammang was much easier to play. I have since sold both and miss the RS-35 most.

I had David build me a take-off of an Advanced Jumbo. Long-scale, African Blacwood and Red Spruce. David put one of his beautiful sunbursts on it. His cool "Zipper" pulling and rosette, and the bracing is right out of Gibson's past.

Right now, it's back in his shop because the color from the case lining bled into the binding. No fault of David's, the cases are notorious for this. The manufacturer re-lined it for me. David responded to it immediately and asked to take care of it.

Can't wait to get it back. One of the best dread/jumbos I've ever played- including a '37 AJ. My AJ-175 (David's name for it) is a powerhouse with seemingly no top. Finger-picked, even lightly, it fills the room. Incredible guitar and the usual impeccable workmanship.

Attention to detail and tone, none better than David. And such a wonderful man!

bill

Last edited by willysunday; 03-05-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I've been gone for a while from AGF but stop in for research from time to time. Good to see some more Flammang enthusiasm! I have had in the past a OO-35 and an L-45 - both lightweight, responsive, balanced guitars in their own ways with tons of personality and built to perfection.

Currently own two: a gorgeous recreation of Bo Ramsey's 1946 LG-2 built by David recently with Ziricote fretboard and bridge, Red Spruce top and Mahogany B/S. It is a monstrously responsive and balanced guitar! Pretty close to if not THE best guitar for my needs I have ever played. So loud, focused, and full of projection. Lead runs up the neck are as loud if not louder than chords in the first position!

And I have had a featherweight (less than 4 lbs) J-35 natural for the last 5-6 years that is amazing as well, with all the throaty cut when you dig in and sweetness when you back off one could possibly want.

Flammang J35
Martin D-18A
Martin D-28CA
Gibson L-00 12-fret 1932
Gibson J-45 1945
Kay K-24 1949
A bunch of electrics
Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaktone View Post

Currently own two: a gorgeous recreation of Bo Ramsey's 1946 LG-2 built by David recently with Ziricote fretboard and bridge, Red Spruce top and Mahogany B/S.
And I have had a featherweight (less than 4 lbs) J-35 natural for the last 5-6 years that is amazing as well, with all the throaty cut when you dig in and sweetness when you back off one could possibly want.
Would love to see pictures of these two
Old 04-25-2018, 07:35 PM

There is a 2003 EL-35 12 fret serial # 079 for sale at Bernunzio Uptown Music in Rochester, NY. Price is $2995. Bernunzio.com to check it out. No professional affiliation with them although I have bought a couple of guitars there over the years. It’s a nice sunburst and listed as excellent condition. Maybe if I get time I’ll check it out.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 04-26-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
Would love to see pictures of these two
Sorry - having problems with Photobucket. I can't seem to copy the links to post like I used to be able to....

Flammang J35
Martin D-18A
Martin D-28CA
Gibson L-00 12-fret 1932
Gibson J-45 1945
Kay K-24 1949
A bunch of electrics
Old 04-26-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Sorry - having problems with Photobucket. I can't seem to copy the links to post like I used to be able to....
Photobucket changed recently and won't allow linking anymore. We've had to move to alternatives such as imugr.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM

Serial Number 145
Model L65 Brazilian Rosewood

Specs:
Brazilian body
Adirondack Top
Brazilian bridge
Ebony fingerboard and (polished ebony) headstock
Scale: 25
Nut: 1 13/16ths
Bridge: 2 5/16ths

This Flammang is owned by AGF Member MWB5007, so nice I had to add it to this thread.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Yes, that's mine. I originally got it from Blindboyjimi (a noteworthy collector of vintage and high end vintage clones here on AGF..) when he was veering into Borges country. I told him I wanted a 00 of the quality of my McAlister OM and as we share an affinity for 00s with the same specs he agreed to sell me his Flammang.

When I got it it was a natural top and there was a slight imperfection in the purfling. After playing it for a while and falling in love with it, I called David Flammang to see if he would repair it for me and while it was in his shop would he buff it up for me.

When David received it he called back and told me that he really thought the tone had come into its own after 10 years - Then he said he had learned how to coax an even more "vintage" tone since he built mine and he would like to apply this to mine however it would require moving the bridge (David even offered to do it for free, what a guy!).

We got talking and I told hm how I was a big sunburst fan and I inquired and he said he could refinish the original top with the exquisite sunburst you see in the pictures above.

He also counseled, as long as we were replacing the bridge, a new bridge in brazillian rosewood since David felt that the ebony was just totally flat by comparison. We agreed to color the bridge black to match the fingerboard....

...and that's how I ended up with the beauty above - a 14 year old guitar that looks and plays like new.

I can't recommend then man or his product with greater confidence after my experience with both.

The only reason I can see for not commanding the kind of prices his peers are receiving is that he makes so few instruments that most people never get to see them and that living in Iowa is a heck of a lot cheaper than the ethereal planes of Northern California and the like....and David's willingness to make his guitars available at a more attainable price.

There are some others here on AGF who sing David's praises as well....hoping to hear from them.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Finally getting around to adding my two Flammangs! Love these guitars so much. They are both huge sounding and really project with authority.

Flammang J35
Martin D-18A
Martin D-28CA
Gibson L-00 12-fret 1932
Gibson J-45 1945
Kay K-24 1949
A bunch of electrics
Old 07-30-2019, 08:27 AM

Wow, I wasn't aware Flammang made an LG-2 body style, that is a great looking guitar!
I can just imagine that body style would make a perfect do-everything guitar.

Quote:

Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Yeah Downtime - I'm not sure how long he has been making LG2's but this one's a peach. It is so punchy and projects really well, while also being sweet. The highs have this seemingly very difficult to attain combo of volume and richness of the note. Check out the razor thin tall braces - Flammang's specialty! That has to contribute some of the mojo. Cheers!

Flammang J35
Martin D-18A
Martin D-28CA
Gibson L-00 12-fret 1932
Gibson J-45 1945
Kay K-24 1949
A bunch of electrics
Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 AM

Bumping this thread because we need more pictures from Flammang owners, please post!!

Cool Video from David discussing his relationship with building guitars

Old 04-24-2020, 08:06 PM

I’ll play. Picked up this 12 fret 000 awhile back and it is just fantastic. Plays so easy and wonderful tone!

Old 04-25-2020, 02:16 PM

MWB5007 post #23

My daughter has a shop in Brooklyn NY (brooklynlutherie.com) and had that same model in about 2 years ago during a visit. I played it and was blown away. With the sunburst and BRW and it was right up there with an SCGC H-13 I played about the same time.

A technical question. I am building that same guitar - Red Spruce over BRW - and would like to put a burst on it. It is simple to scrape the purfling but do you know how he left the rosette without color on it? That thin white line is fantastic.

Anybody have an idea? Many of the Gibsons have color on the rosette

Thanks

Ed
Old 04-25-2020, 02:21 PM

Never heard of these before, but man, there is something about them. I bet they're nice. There are so many brands out there. I keep hearing more brands all the time that I've never been aware of...Feels unending.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion