The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-25-2018, 06:02 AM

Default Gibson: The hits keep on coming...

https://reverb.com/news/tronical-ger...&utm_source=FB
Old 04-25-2018, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Interesting.

I'm not a fan of robo-tuners but, if I read between the lines: Gibson signed a contract to use and sell these tuners on their guitars. Gibson backed away from using them and that left Tronic with an unfulfilled contract. It's not Tronic's fault that Gibson mis-judged the market.

Again, that's just the way I read it.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-25-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Interesting.

I'm not a fan of robo-tuners but, if I read between the lines: Gibson signed a contract to use and sell these tuners on their guitars. Gibson backed away from using them and that left Tronic with an unfulfilled contract. It's not Tronic's fault that Gibson mis-judged the market.

Again, that's just the way I read it.
Sounds about right. Blame your supplier when you can't honor your contract that they signed in good faith. I guess they (Gibson) feel they have no alternative cost-cutting measures other than reneging on this one.They are short on a lot of things by the look of it.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:22 PM

When at the Gibson HQ in Nashville researching the shipping ledgers for my book, Kalamazoo Gals, I played an early prototype Les Paul with robotuners. That's the only one I've played. The tuners had no lockout, so I couldn't bend notes. The thing would re-tune faster than I could bend. A strange experience.

Last edited by jt1; 04-26-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
When at the Gibson HQ in Nashville researching the shipping ledgers for my book, Kalamazoo Gals, I played an early prototype Les Paul with robotuners. That's the only one I've played. The tuners had no lockout, so I couldn't bend notes. The thing would re-tune faster than I could bend. A strange experience.
There was a great video on YouTube of a guy "adjusting" the robotuner on his Les Paul by removing the tuner mechanism and then beating the daylights out of it with a hammer. He has since taken the video down and replaced it with one containing his explanation of why he took the original down.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
There was a great video on YouTube of a guy "adjusting" the robotuner on his Les Paul by removing the tuner mechanism and then beating the daylights out of it with a hammer. He has since taken the video down and replaced it with one containing his explanation of why he took the original down.
Thanks! I'll track down that second video.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:31 AM

It might take a couple years but when the current management is out and all the smoke etc. clears, I hope to see the acoustic bunch out in Bozeman, Mt. make it through ok and proceed to make the guitars we remember with fondness.

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic