The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-24-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Confusions clear as mud now

Just a word about D'addario strings and gauge as to think that one should refer to the high E when naming choice of strings 10s or 12s and so on is suffice but as i have considered all gauges and started on the extra light strings i found that a set of strings are not always denoted from its high E and are more reliably referred to by specific manufacturers item number or name as each set has a different blend of string gauges by name and item number .
Example
EJ38H Phosphor Bronze, High Strung/Nashville Tuning, 10

also with a high E of 10 is
EJ15 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Extra Light, 10

EJ26 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Custom Light, 11

EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light, 12

the next also has the same
EJ19 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Bluegrass, 12

EJ24 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, True Medium, 13

EJ17 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Medium, 13

and not until you get to a high E of 14 do you talk of heavy
EJ18 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Heavy, 14

When you look at the blend of across all six strings do you realise that when considering tension in D'addario strings its quite useless to simply refer to the high E to name or choose a set of strings by gauge and tension .
Accross all six strings the Ej26 blend custom lights with a high E of 11 is spot on for me in tension and playability realizing fully you understand that if i was to ever play live in front of a mic as acoustic artist do i would need to develop more strength to play at least the light gauge Ej16 if at all to be loud enough but for the right here right now i at last have put the research into choosing and tailoring a blend of strings that suit .Now i've got to bite the bullet and take the loss on the chin and change all my guitars to custom light strings .Just as a matter of note Epiphone ship all their guitars with D'addario lights Ej16s with a high E of 12 .D'addario introduced the custom lights with high E of 11 for bendability.Its really interesting to look at the various blends of strings in each set of all 6 strings as they do not specifically ascend or descend but are more rather a blend to each set .
In contrast Ernieball phosphor bronze strings are the light gauge strings at high E of 11 medium lights at 12s medium 13s so it's an estimate to refer to the high E but the blends referred to by name and in D'aadario by item number that is a more accurate description of the blend for playability and resistance different manufacturers use different blends so maybe simply referring to the high E to describe a set of strings is an olden day method when maybe not so many manufacturers and not so many variations were readily available .
I'm pleased i looked into this because for quite some time (all the time) iv'e never been able to nail down exactly which strings people were on about by simply saying 10s or 12s and so on .... it does not suffice in the present day and certainly not Daddario strings .

Am i talking to myself again ...i'm talking to my self againt aint i

good for the soul to get to know thy self
Old 04-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Yes you are correct, simply when talking about Elixir 80/20's saying "I prefer 11's" is inaccurate.

It is a little more accurate to say "I prefer 11-52's"

But even then there are variants within those, so the best way to describe my preference is to say "I prefer 11-15-22-32-42-52's", but that's a lot to say
so I can use the model number "#11027" or the model name "Custom Lights"

And this will all change obviously from manufacturer to manufacturer.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 AM

Thank you for clarification.

First thinking 12s were being refered to as heavy i now see that you are only talking heavy strings at 14s.
Can anyone give me a youtube example of someone playing with 14s blimey they must be hammers they play with not fingers?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic