The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-06-2018, 02:52 AM

Default First video advice

Hi all

I've been inspired to attempt a video by the "show and tell" section. I've recorded some basic electric tracks adding guitar and bass to a Logic drum track but I've never tried video.

Here's what I have:

iMac
Logic Pro X
iMovie
Focusrite Scarlett 212i
iPhone
Shure SM57 and Focusrite Condenser mic
Guitar and virtually no musical ability.

Putting the last aside for the time being, should I recored the audio on the mic into Logic, video with the iPhone at the same time, then input the audio and video into iMovie and sync it on that ?

Thank you for helping me

Last edited by wooster; 04-06-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 AM

Yes, that's the way to do it. Edit the audio in Logic first.
When you start the recording, clap your hands loud to make it easy to line up the video and audio in the video editor, then chop off the pre-music part of the video when editing.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Yes and like MikeB said give yourself a sharp short sound que clap hand or what I do is a count in by tapping my pick on the pic on the pic guard

What this does create a visual sharp peak as a timing reference in the waveform in the audio from both the iPhone and the Logic audio file
The when you import both into imovie that peak is the visual que you can use to manually slide and line up the Logic file with the iphone video file then once lined up and synced you can detach and remove the audio portion of the video file

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-06-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Yes, that's the way to do it. Edit the audio in Logic first.
When you start the recording, clap your hands loud to make it easy to line up the video and audio in the video editor, then chop off the pre-music part of the video when editing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes and like MikeB said give yourself a sharp short sound que clap hand or what I do is a count in by tapping my pick on the pic on the pic guard

What this does create a visual sharp peak as a timing reference in the waveform in the audio from both the iPhone and the Logic audio file
The when you import both into imovie that peak is the visual que you can use to manually slide and line up the Logic file with the iphone video file then once lined up and synced you can detach and remove the audio portion of the video file
Thanks, guys, that's helpful advice. I will give it a go this weekend

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD