The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2024, 12:51 PM

Default Single QSC CP8 loud enough for small bars and patios?

Was wondering for those that have used the QSC CP8, is a single speaker loud enough for a solo acoustic act that plays small bars and patios?
Old 02-25-2024, 02:19 PM

I love the CP8 and CP12. They are fantastic speakers. I often use a single CP8 as a monitor for my band and it does the job quite well.

With that said, a single one might be a bit limiting. I have found that the CP8 doesn't put out as much volume as my K10 or K12. I often will have a K10 on one side as a monitor and the CP8 on the other. When mixing the monitors, the CP8 is always quite a bit quieter.

The other thing to consider is that although the CP8 has a nice full sound, it's not going to pump out a lot of bass. Your tone won't be thin, but you might miss the enhanced low end. Two would probably make for a more well rounded sound.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:12 PM

I suppose it depends on how loud you need to be. My duo has been gigging with a single CP8 high and behind for 5 years. Every tough venue from large farmers markets, noisy restaurants, and converted barn wineries. Never a complaint about not loud enough and still the occasional request to turn it down.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-25-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 03:26 PM

I’ve started using a single Yamaha DXR8 (along with an amp) and I’ve found it fine so far. I thought I could always add a 2nd if I find myself coming unstuck.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-25-2024, 04:14 PM

I bought a CP8 to use as a monitor. I have recently been using it for smaller bars I play solo acoustic. It does pump out good volume, but I do notice the low end is lacking a little. But if I added more low end/bass it isn't that bad. I do like the spread of the CP8, or is its a tight spot to set up it is easier to put it off to the side of you, compared to my EV 12" powered speaker.

I definitely think it has it's benefits to smaller rooms and does work as a great monitor otherwise.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

I use a CP-8 w/ trios and duos, preamped w/ a Grace BiX. Works pretty well in a medium club, prefect for smaller venues.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:08 PM

The Yamaha DXR line pack quite the punch. To the OP, forget what anyone says, forget the size of the drivers, forget wattage as that means nothing. Look at SPL specs. That will tell you what speakers have the most head room.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:27 PM

Just to add, I think it's something you need to try first to see how you like the tone. Yamahaguy makes a good point about focusing on the correct specs, but that does ignore the overall tone aspect. I mean I can get the CP8 pretty loud, but as a primary speaker, it's lacking in the low end.

One thing you could try as well is to go the single CP8 route but pair it with a compact sub. For what you are after, you wouldn't even need a large sub. The other thing is to get the CP12. I was going to say a K10, but the CP12 is actually the size and weight of a K10 but you have the 12" speaker. The benefit of a K10 though is the dispersion is wider.

But yeah I would say two CP8's, a CP8 with a sub or a single CP12/K10.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickLikeTrimble View Post
Was wondering for those that have used the QSC CP8, is a single speaker loud enough for a solo acoustic act that plays small bars and patios?
Enough? Yes or no, depending on whether you are "background" music for those just enjoying a brew and fries, or if it's a loud bar and you are the main act? The CP8 is a good speaker, I use mine for a floor wedge. But much depends on what you want to accomplish. The nice thing about having a good speaker like a CP8 to start with is you can scale up to two CP8s, and then a sub afterward. That, or if you're ok with a bit more dough the DXR 10s are a knockout (I use the 10s, 12,s and 15) and the DXR10s are my fave. It's a solid start IMO.

Edward
Old 02-25-2024, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

It’s loud enough for most bar gigs but the K8.2 is much better imo.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:49 AM

About 40% of my duo’s repertoire is guitar and bass, through that single CP8. It can handle bass guitar in a large venue with ease. A 10-20 Hz difference in the low end spec is not meaningful. 3dB down is perceptible only if you’re listening carefully while slapping an open low E on your bass.

IMHO, too much hearing with our eyes going on through out the AGF :~).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-26-2024 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:34 AM

Great info everyone, much appreciated!
Old 02-26-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
About 40% of my duo’s repertoire is guitar and bass, though that single CP8. It can handle bass guitar in a large venue with ease. A 10-20 Hz difference in the low end spec is not meaningful. 3dB down is perceptible only if you’re listening carefully while slapping an open low E on your bass.

IMHO, too much hearing with our eyes going on through out the AGF :~).
It depends what you are after. Can it handle bass? Yes, absolutely. Will it have a great low end? I would argue no. Again, I love this speaker but I think we have to take into account what we are after. We have people on here playing intimate venues and loving the CP8, but those people are probably not after a deep low end.

For myself, a single CP8 would never be enough. I think the OP really needs to try it. Even in my band, we use two K12's as mains and I often wish we had a sub as well. The bass sounds fine through the two K12's but would sound much better with a sub.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:39 AM

Are some also missing the OPs phrase "solo acoustic act"? If all you have is acoustic guitar and vocals, you don't need a sub, or even a 12-15" speaker. The CP8 specs go down to 56Hz; the low E on a guitar is 82Hz. I have a CP8 that I've used for small solo gigs, and I agree with jonfields who has practical real-world experience: a CP8 will be fine for "small bars and patios".

And if it doesn't suit you, or you move to bigger locations, add a second one, or get a bigger speaker and use the CP8 as a monitor (which I do for bigger venues, along with two K10.2s).
Old 02-26-2024, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I've used a single CP8 in a restaurant a few times. It worked. I usually prefer K8s, though. It kind of depends on your definition of "enough volume." If you are playing background music for a restaurant or winery, it could be just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification