The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I don't know, if that's the case, that's an insanely small market. If these were around $400 then maybe that would be the case but that's an awful lot to spend on something that stays at home.
Have you priced a nice Fender tube amp recently--Princeton, Twin, Deluxe? Above the Taylor's price point, and I'd guess a majority of them never see a stage...
Old 01-25-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
Have you priced a nice Fender tube amp recently--Princeton, Twin, Deluxe? Above the Taylor's price point, and I'd guess a majority of them never see a stage...
Yes but Teles and Strats really stink without a good amp, at least if you compare them against any acoustic.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
Yes but Teles and Strats really stink without a good amp, at least if you compare them against any acoustic.
I like to think of my tele as conservative when un -amped

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-25-2024, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

After a many years-long journey through just about every premium acoustic guitar amp you can name I have only come to one conclusion: a good quality pre-amp is a necessity. Yes, some of the premium amps can give you decent fidelity without one but even with those, add something like the Grace Alix and you WILL be a believer. In most things I am highly skeptical of blanket statements like I just made....but I stand by this one, if you truly want the best, highest fidelity sound. Of course this discussion can easily morph into the "yeah, but does your audience really care?" but all I know for sure is.....I CARE!
Old 01-25-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't see the relevance? None of these amps are marketed as home amps. Have you played a twin? They are insanely loud and heavy. A Deluxe is absolutely made for the stage as is a princeton. The comparison here just doesn't work.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There are scads of players who own guitars that cost way more than the Circa 74 amp and many of those guitars never leave the house.
There seem to be some very odd (to me) ad hoc rules for what qualifies as appropriate cost and use. I will admit I'm probably on one side of the spectrum - all of my gear is bought to gig without regard to cost. I have over 500 gigs on a 5-figure bass (yes, it is insured, as is all my gear), and I have played shows on a $500 instrument. And all of my gear also spends time at home regardless of cost - it can't all live in the Jeep

Whether this amp sounds good, has the right feature set, or fits a particular use case is up to the individual. But I really don't understand arguments about wood cabinet not being gig worthy (lots of examples to the contrary), or that stuff that just stays at home should be cheap (as you note above).

This amp isn't the holy grail, but it is what it is - a US-built amp that (arguably) is better looking than most other acoustic combo amps, and has enough features, volume, and portability to be giggable for those that choose to do so. It is more expensive than a Fishman, cheaper than a Henriksen or AER or many other "boutique" acoustic amps.

And as always, you get to vote with your wallet!

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez

Last edited by nostatic; 01-25-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I don't see the relevance? None of these amps are marketed as home amps. Have you played a twin? They are insanely loud and heavy. A Deluxe is absolutely made for the stage as is a princeton. The comparison here just doesn't work.

I play a Princeton at home, used to play a Peavey Classic 30 and a MusicMan 210 65…there’s no shortage of us who like loud amps at home and don’t worry about the weight. Venture over to the Les Paul forum and listen to the preferences over there…
Old 01-25-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I play a Princeton at home, used to play a Peavey Classic 30 and a MusicMan 210 65…there’s no shortage of us who like loud amps at home and don’t worry about the weight. Venture over to the Les Paul forum and listen to the preferences over there…
Back to your original point about the Taylor amp being marketed for home use... I still think that's a small market. However, having said that, I don't agree that, that's the main demographic they are going for.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Back to your original point about the Taylor amp being marketed for home use... I still think that's a small market. However, having said that, I don't agree that, that's the main demographic they are going for.
Yeah, I don't know if that's the market they're looking for or not. I'm a Taylor fan (as well as a Martin fan), but I don't pretend to understand all of their marketing moves.

I don't, though, think that the play at home crowd is a small market, whether acoustic or electric. My guess is that the majority of guitars and amps never get played outside the house, but that's just a guess...
Old 01-26-2024, 09:18 AM

A Princeton is $1300-1400 MSRP for the entry level ones and $2799 for the hand wired ones.

This Circa 74 amp is just not expensive to anyone who is accustomed to owning decent amplifiers.

It's an interesting thing that acoustic players often are fine with guitars that cost 4-5x what electric guitar players will use but a $1100 amp seems incredibly expensive.

People who mostly play electric IMO are the other way around and find it hard to stomach $3000+ as where the guitars start to actually be really nice.
Old 01-26-2024, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Love the look and concept of this new amp. I hope they come out with a scaled down version of this for those of us who do not need 150 watts - the Loudbox mini at 60 watts is more than enough for many of us.
Martin Backpacker
Old 01-26-2024, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Humm couple of basic misconceptions seem to be floating about

NO amp is loud (insanely or otherwise ) unless you actually turn it up be loud, if you set an amp to low levels it plays at low levels period , regardless of how loud it can play,,, that's just the simple laws of physics for sound reproduction

No amount of wattage is needed or not needed per.se (other than say either a big space or competing with other loud instruments)
Generally speaking (and all else being equal) the reason for more watts is yes to be able to play louder BUT just as important is having more clean headroom throughout the entire level range

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-26-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Humm couple of misconceptions seem to be floating about

NO amp is loud (insanely or otherwise ) unless you turn it up be loud, thats just the laws of physics for sound reproduction

No amount of wattage is needed or not needed per.se (other than say either a big space or competing with other loud instruments)
Generally speaking (and all else being equal) the reason for more watts is yes to be able to play louder BUT just as important is have more clean headroom throughout all the level range
Yes. The Peavey that I owned for awhile could be incredibly loud, but the clean headroom was amazing. And, with careful use of the master and channel volumes, I could get a wide range of distorted tones at very reasonable volumes. Wattage gives you options.
Old 01-26-2024, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. The Peavey that I owned for awhile could be incredibly loud, but the clean headroom was amazing. And, with careful use of the master and channel volumes, I could get a wide range of distorted tones at very reasonable volumes. Wattage gives you options.
Exactly not to mention that "getting distorted" or over driven tones is a subjective endeavor there is nothing wrong with just getting clean tones soft or loud..
Especially with an amp meant for an acoustic guitar amplification

Having been involved selling hifi ( and audiophile type ) stereo in the 70's an early 80's I remember the reason for 200 watt mono block amp in a home system was not to annoy the neighbors, but to have clean headroom at home listening levels

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-26-2024, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Exactly not to mention that "getting distorted" or over driven tones is a subjective endeavor there is nothing wrong with just getting clean tones soft or loud..
Especially with an amp meant for an acoustic guitar amplification

Having been involved selling hifi ( and audiophile type ) stereo in the 70's an early 80's I remember the reason for 200 watt mono block amp in a home system was not to annoy the neighbors, but to have clean headroom at home listening levels
Those were golden times for home stereos!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification