The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-26-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Default PRS Sonzera 20 question

For those of you who own a Sonzera, is there a trick to getting the adjustments to work? The clean channel volume works but the bass and treble are not changing the tone at all (they do work on the lead channel). Also, the global presence and reverb adjustments are not working on either channel.

I think they sent me a bad unit but just in case there's something I'm overlooking, I'm asking before I head over to GC with this thing.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-26-2021, 02:48 PM

Hi Jim. I googled this and couldn't find anything. I read the manual and it didn't mention anything either.

Sometimes tube amps need to be loud before there's much of a difference in the bass/treble (and mid if the amp has it). My Marshall Vintage Modern responds better to the TMB controls when pushed a little with volume. Have you tried the amp loud to see if there's a difference?

I wonder where the tone stack is in the Sonzera. Perhaps a tube?
Old 02-26-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Jim. I googled this and couldn't find anything. I read the manual and it didn't mention anything either.

Sometimes tube amps need to be loud before there's much of a difference in the bass/treble (and mid if the amp has it). My Marshall Vintage Modern responds better to the TMB controls when pushed a little with volume. Have you tried the amp loud to see if there's a difference?

I wonder where the tone stack is in the Sonzera. Perhaps a tube?
I tried it at various volumes and the result was the same. Meanwhile, on the lead channel, I could easily hear the changes for the bass, mid, and treble at any volume.

I'm not sure how things are set up in the amp and I'm not going exploring because I don't want to slide a blade into the heart of my warranty. I have 45 days to bring it to GC as a return or for replacement. One of my pups had surgery a couple of days ago and I don't want to leave him on his own until the stitches come out next Saturday. I'll either bring it that day or on the next Monday if some remedy doesn't come over the next week.

YouTube
Old 02-26-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I tried it at various volumes and the result was the same. Meanwhile, on the lead channel, I could easily hear the changes for the bass, mid, and treble at any volume.

I'm not sure how things are set up in the amp and I'm not going exploring because I don't want to slide a blade into the heart of my warranty. I have 45 days to bring it to GC as a return or for replacement. One of my pups had surgery a couple of days ago and I don't want to leave him on his own until the stitches come out next Saturday. I'll either bring it that day or on the next Monday if some remedy doesn't come over the next week.
Hey Jim - send PRS a quick email and ask them. If they don't respond, return your amp.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jim,
I havent had that problem with my Sonzera, and I play at lower levels all the time. I doubt it must be cranked to activate the tone circuits.

I did have a similar issue with a Marshall DSL20 head. Really bizarre, and the tone knobs seemed totally dead. What it turned out to be in this case, I had my mid cut pretty low, and that seemed to trump or spill over and take the low and high pots out of the signal?? Im not technical enough to know exactly how or why, but when I turned the mid up above about 9 o’clock, everything works fine.

Contacting PRS as Dru suggested sounds like the way to go, though. Good luck, and hope it works out
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Hi Jim,
I havent had that problem with my Sonzera, and I play at lower levels all the time. I doubt it must be cranked to activate the tone circuits.

I did have a similar issue with a Marshall DSL20 head. Really bizarre, and the tone knobs seemed totally dead. What it turned out to be in this case, I had my mid cut pretty low, and that seemed to trump or spill over and take the low and high pots out of the signal?? Im not technical enough to know exactly how or why, but when I turned the mid up above about 9 o’clock, everything works fine.

Contacting PRS as Dru suggested sounds like the way to go, though. Good luck, and hope it works out
I've tried it with the clean channel eq knobs at 12, at dead bottom, and cranked. I get nothing from them. They are working on the lead channel. Presence and Reverb are supposed to work on both channels but they're working on neither no matter what settings I use.

Calling PRS will be my first move but I'm pretty sure this amp is broken somehow.

YouTube
Old 02-27-2021, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've tried it with the clean channel eq knobs at 12, at dead bottom, and cranked. I get nothing from them. They are working on the lead channel. Presence and Reverb are supposed to work on both channels but they're working on neither no matter what settings I use.

Calling PRS will be my first move but I'm pretty sure this amp is broken somehow.
I am wondering if it might not be one or more faulty pre amp tubes ?
I would have no clue how it is wired (what tube effects what part of pre amp) but there are 4 preamp tubes

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm. Only other thought is could the footswitch be involved?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-27-2021, 07:48 PM

Send it back. Likely either a ground has broken loose or there's an error in the channel switching paths that's keeping the tone stack from engaging in clean channel mode.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-27-2021, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I am wondering if it might not be one or more faulty pre amp tubes ?
I would have no clue how it is wired (what tube effects what part of pre amp) but there are 4 preamp tubes
That's certainly possible. Shipping took a lot longer than the original estimate and who knows how much it got knocked around. To check the tubes I'd have to remove the back plate and I'm not sure I want to do anything that might bite me in the lower cheek when I go to return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Hmmm. Only other thought is could the footswitch be involved?
Nothing I've seen or read indicates the footswitch is necessary for the tone clean channel tone controls to work, especially when you consider that they do work on the lead side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Send it back. Likely either a ground has broken loose or there's an error in the channel switching paths that's keeping the tone stack from engaging in clean channel mode.
Sending it back is the likely outcome. Problem is, they don't have another 20 watt in stock. They do have a 50 watt but I really don't need that kind of power.

If I hadn't been waiting since October for my turquoise Tone King Sky King to come off backorder, I wouldn't have even bought this amp. Perhaps this is the universe teaching me a lesson in patience.

YouTube
Old 02-28-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's certainly possible. Shipping took a lot longer than the original estimate and who knows how much it got knocked around. To check the tubes I'd have to remove the back plate and I'm not sure I want to do anything that might bite me in the lower cheek when I go to return it.
Jim given it is a tube amp I doubt that replacing tubes (which an inherent part of tube amp ownership) would invalidate the warranty BUT:::
If It were me before doing that or sending it back, I would call PRS support and ask about replacing the tubes and I would ask to speak to a PRS factory repair tech and get their diagnosis of possible cause

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-28-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Jim given it is a tube amp I doubt that replacing tubes (which an inherent part of tube amp ownership) would invalidate the warranty BUT:::
If It were me before doing that or sending it back, I would call PRS support and ask about replacing the tubes and I would ask to speak to a PRS factory repair tech and get their diagnosis of possible cause
+1. Best option is to call PRS. If they don't respond in a timely matter send the amp back. No sense fooling around with because without PRS or a tech it could be anything. Also, not worth sending it for warranty work if it can be returned because you never know if this particular amp is a lemon.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Contacted PRS today and they said it doesn't sound like an issue that would be caused by a bad tube, so back to GC it goes.

YouTube
Old 03-01-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Contacted PRS today and they said it doesn't sound like an issue that would be caused by a bad tube, so back to GC it goes.
Thanks for the update, Jim. Perhaps you can get another Sonzera 20w on order. Don't get the 50w if you don't need the power.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks for the update, Jim. Perhaps you can get another Sonzera 20w on order. Don't get the 50w if you don't need the power.
GC is out of stock on the Sonzera 20 so this going to be a return without a reorder. I just got off the phone with GC and they told me the Tone King Sky King I ordered back in October now has an expected ship date of March 8th (an expectation, not a promise). If that happens, I won't miss the Sonzera at all.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars