The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 01:07 PM

Default Wondering if it's "too late for me, son," as Darth Vader once said...

So I just started a new job and moved to a new town, and in my brief moments of down time I've been checking out the local guitar shops ~ all both of them so far, lol ~ on a bit of a kick for trying out some nice acoustics. (I love my electrics and have a cool if very modest collection, but I've only got one acoustic. Speaking of which...)

My present and only acoustic guit is a 1992 (I think) Alvarez-Yairi DY-52 that I got used back when I was in grad school c. 1997 or maybe '98. Prior to that, I'd been playing an Ovation Applause shallow bowl jobbie, so returning to a real wood guitar was, to me, a night/day revelation (no offense intended to Ovation fans ... bear in mind that my Ovation was an Applause and not a high end instrument at all!).

The Yairi is a great guitar that I've loved for a long time. But lately I've been curious about what, if any, difference a different body style and/or all solid-wood construction might make. I mean, I didn't pick the Yairi because of its specific features. I played it and it sounded WAY better than what I was playing at the time ~ done and done.

But now, it's been the only acoustic I've played for the past twenty years. And I've been noticing that when I go to the shops and try some really nice, really high end instruments, I come home and my Yairi seems to sound and feel better ... And I can't help but wonder how much of that is just because it's the only one I've had & played for so long. It's so thoroughly what I'm used to that I wonder if that's skewing my ability to hear and appreciate other instruments.

I know. It's pretty OCD to waste time wondering such things. If it sounds good, it is good, right? But I don't have OCD! I have CDO. (It's the same exact condition, but the letters are in proper alphabetically order, like they should be.)

Anyway, does this sort of thing happen to anyone else? That you get so conditioned to a particular instrument that it's hard to branch out and consider something different?
Old 12-06-2019, 01:23 PM

Some of it is what you are used to. But it sounds like you could very well have the one that will be hard to top. For your particular needs anyway.

But it is still fun to do a little window shopping from time to time. A few weeks ago I was in a Sam Ashe store around St. Petersburgh Florida. Picked up A Gibson G45 standard. Nice guitar but it wasn't the it guitar that day.

So keep window shopping and maybe some day you'll find the one that screams take me home.

Until then, .......
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-06-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draelyc View Post
I've been noticing that when I go to the shops and try some really nice, really high end instruments, I come home and my Yairi seems to sound and feel better ... And I can't help but wonder how much of that is just because it's the only one I've had & played for so long. It's so thoroughly what I'm used to that I wonder if that's skewing my ability to hear and appreciate other instruments.
My guess is your Yairi sounds and feels better, because it's a fabulous instrument and you have played it a lot, which makes it sound even better. I think you have set the bar pretty high, having such a good guitar. Perhaps eventually you will find something that sounds really good and different than the DY-52, that you want to grab. From a GAS perspective, come on, you've only got one acoustic. Time to get with the program!
Old 12-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Never force yourself to buy something. It's a great idea to go and play as many different guitars as you can get your hands on. You'll know when one floats your boat.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:36 PM

Those old Yari's were special. I have a 1978 Dy74 that really is a fantastic guitar.

that said, didn't stop me from acquiring additional acoustics.

What have you been looking at?

The yari could be hard to top if you're looking in the moderately priced guitars.

If you're all about upping the anti and going for a higher end make/model, you will find there's stuff out there that could knock your socks off.

They are pretty organic creatures, these acoustic guitars.... If you're on the hunt, stick with it. You will eventually find another one to follow you home. Sounds like time is on your side. The only challenge will be finding the store that has in stock things in the Gibson/Martin/Upper end Taylor, etc.. kid of products.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Bring your Yari into a really good guitar shop and compare.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:43 PM

I've found that my criteria for what makes a guitar sound great only change when my interest in music takes a turn. When I become fascinated with a different style of music, I might want to hear something different out of the guitar. Otherwise, not so much.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Alvarez Yairi's are really very good instruments -
many compare them to Martins - Id say their as good or better
so your feelings about your guitar are honestly real -
you do have a great guitar already - one of the posts mention to take your guitar to a shop to compare them -good idea
but put a set of new strings on it a few days before -

AND DON'T TRADE THAT BEAUTY IN !!!!
Old 12-06-2019, 01:47 PM

You may be the proud owner of "the One", that guitar that checks all of the boxes for you.
As I mentioned in the thread on this topic, mine is a Larrivee D03R dreadnought.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:08 PM

I had a late 70's Yairi that was a really nice guitar! However, is it in the same class as my Martin 000-18? Not even close.
As others have said, go play bunch of guitars, and if possible, take your Yairi with you. You will develop GAS at some point, it's inevitable.

scott
Old 12-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I would think it all depends on the money situation. If buying a new guitar costs you and your wife and kids basically nothing in the scheme of things, then go for it. But if the money is better used for, whatever. Then make that Yairi sing.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the replies, y'all!

If nothing else, this lil' bit of window shopping is definitely helping me appreciate what I already have, which is always a good thing, I think. And who knows? Maybe the Yairi is just a better guitar than I've generally given it credit for being, not having taken the time seriously to compare it to anything else... :shrug:

I'd already been thinking to find a free afternoon to take the Yairi into the shops and do some direct comparing ~ so, good call, those of you who made that suggestion. That's when it'll get really interesting.

The other thing that's going on here is that I've recently gone to using bluegrass/hybrid gauged strings on the Yairi, 12-56. For years I've stayed away from anything heavier than regular 12s, because I tend to have more or less chronic wrist pain in my fretting hand that flares up every now and then on the reg. I use pretty light electric strings as a result (9-46). But after doing some setup work, I've discovered that my wrist can handle the 12-56s pretty well, and they *really* make the Yairi come to life.

That change has only happened in the past couple months. Before that, I kept bouncing back & forth between regular 12s and 11s, trying to get the right feel and sound. So part of this might just be that I'm only now really getting to hear what the Yairi was designed to do.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Must admit, it's an odd condition that says: 'Wow, I love my guitar so much, I need to buy another one'.

If you really feel compelled to buy another guitar, make sure it's diametrically opposed to the Yairi and/or set it up to play in a different style (or music), for instance, slide or DADGAD. That way, it'll be like comparing apples with oranges... pointless.

Or buy a harp guitar, or lute. Seriously.

Last edited by Arthur Slowhand; 12-06-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:11 PM

Treat you baby to a fret dressing, tune up, new saddle and pins and or new tuning machines. Which ever is needed or wanted.
Even a new case if the old one is in bad shape.

Purchase several different sets of strings and see which ones sound best.
Perhaps have a nice pickup installed so you can get different sounds from it.

Enjoy your baby and give it some pampering.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Must admit, it's an odd condition that says: 'Wow, I love my guitar so much, I need to buy another one'.

If you really feel compelled to buy another guitar, make sure it's diametrically opposed to the Yairi and/or set it up to play in a different style (or music), for instance, slide or DADGAD. That way, it'll be like comparing apples with oranges... pointless.

Or buy a harp guitar, or lute. Seriously.
Naw, it's more like, I haven't even tried another guitar in 20 years ... what might I be missing out on?

But man, I'd LOVE to have an actual lute. But iirc, absolutely nothing from knowing how to play guitar translates into lute playing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion