The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Default Martin binding issue update...

I started a thread two weeks ago concerning my 2013 D18 that had binding separation at the waist. I bought it used in 2014 and know that it doesn't have a warranty. The issue is that this has been known to be a wide spread problem over recent years because of a change in the glue formula from what the authorized repair center tells me. Multiple threads of the UMGF.

That being said I have sent Martin 4 emails trying to get some clarification and I haven't heard a peep back from them other than the automatic reply. Well... that's not true everyday I now have promotional garbage from them in my in box, but nada from customer service. I'm good if they tell me to take a hike and even if they refuse to acknowledge there has been a problem. Can't fight city hall on this. But just being blown off doesn't sit well with me. Next move is to call them but no matter what I'm pretty sure my next guitar is going to be from another manufacturer.

By the way Gryphon did a stellar job fixing it!

UPDATE: Talked to a CS Rep (aka BS Rep). The gist of it... "Blah,blah, not heard of any glue issues, blah blah, humidity environmental causes, blah blah, not cool for the authorized service repairman to say these things about our product, blah blah, we make thousands of guitars and some will have issues blah blah, unlike your lousy cheap D18 (I'm paraphrasing) our Custom Shop guitars are built the old school way, blah blah blah..., have a nice day..."
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

Last edited by davidd; 12-06-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I started a thread two weeks ago concerning my 2013 D18 that had binding separation at the waist. I bought it used in 2014 and know that it doesn't have a warranty. The issue is that this has been known to be a wide spread problem over recent years because of a change in the glue formula from what the authorized repair center tells me. Multiple threads of the UMGF.
So you said multiple times in your previous thread.

Quote:
That being said I have sent Martin 4 emails trying to get some clarification and I haven't heard a peep back from them other than the automatic reply. Well... that's not true everyday I now have promotional garbage from them in my in box, but nada from customer service.
After all of this, you haven't called Martin yet? You can get a live human on the phone at Martin anytime during normal business hours. Maybe they will help you; it's certainly worth a try. But they owe you nothing.

Quote:
I'm good if they tell me to take a hike and even if they refuse to acknowledge there has been a problem. Can't fight city hall on this. But just being blown off doesn't sit well with me.
You bought this guitar used. You have no relationship with Martin. You already know this.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure my next guitar is going to be from another manufacturer.
It is unlikely that any manufacturer will repair a guitar for free for a non-original owner.

I am curious, though; did the cost of the repair plus the cost of the used guitar still amount to a good deal? If so, maybe you could just move on.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:48 PM

their is ways of taking it to a Martin dealer , some have techs on duty that do some warranty work -- Martin can be either hot or cold -
my guess is that this time of year ( before the holidays ) is not the best time
to deal with them --their busy !
Plus i believe the warranty only covers the original purchaser in most cases .

But as the old saying goes " the squeaky wheel gets the grease "

Old 12-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
So you said multiple times in your previous thread.

After all of this, you haven't called Martin yet? You can get a live human on the phone at Martin anytime during normal business hours. Maybe they will help you; it's certainly worth a try. But they owe you nothing.

You bought this guitar used. You have no relationship with Martin. You already know this.

It is unlikely that any manufacturer will repair a guitar for free for a non-original owner.

I am curious, though; did the cost of the repair plus the cost of the used guitar still amount to a good deal? If so, maybe you could just move on.
It's all good... no worries. Yes, I'm still well ahead over a new purchase.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I'm good if they tell me to take a hike and even if they refuse to acknowledge there has been a problem.

UPDATE: Talked to a CS Rep (aka BS Rep). The gist of it... "Blah,blah, not heard of any glue issues, blah blah, humidity environmental causes, blah blah, not cool for the authorized service repairman to say these things about our product, blah blah, we make thousands of guitars and some will have issues blah blah, unlike your lousy cheap D18 (I'm paraphrasing) our Custom Shop guitars are built the old school way, blah blah blah..., have a nice day..."
So you're good?
Old 12-06-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Actually I took my non functioning ES system Taylor over to their factory and they got it working for zero charge. The tech said it was fun to see the old ES1 again and to diagnose and subsequently fix the issue so just take the guitar and have fun. Since then I've bought a few Taylors due to this act of kindness and will always recommend them to someone thinking of a purchase. To me it just sounds like Martin doesn't gives a rat's behind about their secondary market though.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Actually I took my non functioning ES system Taylor over to their factory and they got it working for zero charge. The tech said it was fun to see the old ES1 again and to diagnose and subsequently fix the issue so just take the guitar and have fun. Since then I've bought a few Taylors due to this act of kindness and will always recommend them to someone thinking of a purchase. To me it just sounds like Martin doesn't gives a rat's behind about their secondary market though.
I agree that Taylor's Customer Service is excellent; but in all fairness, they've been in operation since 1974 compared to Martin's history dating back to the 1830s. Clearly Martin is going to have many more instruments on the secondary market than Taylor. Maybe policies and practices in El Cajon will be less forgiving in another hundred years...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Sorry to see that you had a problem with your guitar.
You should have called Martin and talked to someone rather than just sending emails.

I have not heard anything about binding issues on Martin guitars before your post.
Please show me where all these problems are being discussed.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:

This should get interesting now.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-06-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I agree that Taylor's Customer Service is excellent; but in all fairness, they've been in operation since 1974 compared to Martin's history dating back to the 1830s. Clearly Martin is going to have many more instruments on the secondary market than Taylor. Maybe policies and practices in El Cajon will be less forgiving in another hundred years...
Irrelevant when we're talking about relatively new guitars (the OPs was built in "the Taylor era" and in fact isn't even 8 years old yet). I wouldn't expect ANY company to fix a 50 year old plus guitar for nothing. Too many factors may have caused the issue(s) but here we're talking less than a decade since manufacture. In the case of a whole bunch of newer guitars having problems you either admit the issue or deny and make your customers pay. Seems like Martin has chosen the latter route.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:

Old 12-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Sorry to see that you had a problem with your guitar.
You should have called Martin and talked to someone rather than just sending emails.

I have not heard anything about binding issues on Martin guitars before your post.
Please show me where all these problems are being discussed.
Really? Tons of 2014-2015 Martins especially have this issue. There have been a million threads on this here and UMGF. My 2015 has a binding issue too. I wonder if anyone here could post a 2015 Martin with white binding that is not separating?
Old 12-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Taylor gave me a brand new Baby Taylor neck to replace mine when the headstock snapped off. I told 'em up front I bought the guitar used and would be happy to pay for one but they insisted it was a manufacturing defect (faultily-glued finger joint) and they preferred not charge me.

Now THAT'S customer service.

The irony is the day I went to the shop to whom they sent the replacement neck was the day I discovered the Collings CJ that I had to later sell my Taylor 910 to fund...
Old 12-06-2019, 03:51 PM

I have a 2015 Martin 000-18 that I bought new from one of our sponsors here at AGF...it's a beautiful guitar, a favorite of mine, and I have no plans of ever letting it go...

Not long ago, I found that the binding at the waist, was indeed pulling away from the body...

I have contacted a certified repair shop to deal with the issue...

The luthier I spoke with told me he is, indeed, familiar with the issue and has 3 other Martins there now for the same warranty repair on the bindings...

I'm going to take my guitar to the shop where he will photo, evaluate and send his recommendation to Martin for the repair...

He did tell me he has received no pushback from the Company on his recommendations, and the repair goes fairly quickly with very satisfactory results...
Old 12-06-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I have a 2015 Martin 000-18 that I bought new from one of our sponsors here at AGF...it's a beautiful guitar, a favorite of mine, and I have no plans of ever letting it go...

Not long ago, I found that the binding at the waist, was indeed pulling away from the body...

I have contacted a certified repair shop to deal with the issue...

The luthier I spoke with told me he is, indeed, familiar with the issue and has 3 other Martins there now for the same warranty repair on the bindings...

I'm going to take my guitar to the shop where he will photo, evaluate and send his recommendation to Martin for the repair...

He did tell me he has received no pushback from the Company on his recommendations, and the repair goes fairly quickly with very satisfactory results...
2015 seems like it was the apex of binding issues. I wish someone would show me a 2015 that doesn't have binding issues.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion