The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
GC3 all the way - no comparison. The GC3 is a serious all solid wood guitar. The academy series is a laminated body student level guitar. There is no comparison.
I agree. I love my GC3. Tone, playability, everything.

And $650 for a USA, all-solid Taylor--come on!

(I like Martin retros on mine.)
Old 12-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Add another vote for the GC3. All solid wood any day.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
You clearly know exactly what you're doing and are comfortable with a job that I would consider to be too specialized for my local guitar shop, but needing to fret-level a new guitar out of the box would be an absolute non-starter for me. I'm sure it would invalidate the warranty if nothing else.
I routinely do fret levels/nut slot adjustments on brand new instruments of all names(Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Collings), with regards to guitars and mandolins. The factory standard specs that many guitars are shipped with, even the ones that are using the Plek units, does not show up a slightly high fret when you are dropping the action to get the lowest possible buzz free action. If you leave most instruments how you receive them you will not know about these minor things, but if you want low action and no buzz, usually requires a good go over and most often i'll find 1 to 4 frets that can use a light level/recrown, and some nut slot work. I'm talking about the $600 Academy all the way up to customs. It is what it is. It does not effect the instrument warranty. I do a lot of mandolins, typically they need more touch up than guitars, there's a lot going on in that small space of the mando fretboard.
d

here's a pic of one of the Academys, cut out and installed a tortoloid pickguard, plays and sounds great. The mandolin was a brand new torrefied top Collings, had some buzz, action too high-hard to fret. Actually replaced the nut and redefined the string course spaces, removed 5 frets and scooped the fretboard, rolled the edge of the fretboard while I had it. It sounds and plays like fantastic. Owner was super pumped with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20180906_182833_resized.jpg (29.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_20191003_163836_resized.jpg (45.5 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by darylcrisp; 12-06-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:32 PM

You can get a sound hole pickup on Amazon for less than $20
Old 12-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
GC3 all the way - no comparison. The GC3 is a serious all solid wood guitar. The academy series is a laminated body student level guitar. There is no comparison.
This.

You can also buy a brand new JJB-330 pickup for $50. Install yourself. Or even a soundhole pickup for $25
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Congrats on the guitar!

I would like to throw a dark horse into consideration. A used Yamaha AC3M or AC3R (M for Mahogany or R for Rosewood). Every single one of those I"ve played has been amazing, and they have a great pickup built-in.

If you want to stick with the Taylor route I'd go the GC3, since it is all wood.

AC3R: https://reverb.com/item/29987950-yam...intage-natural

AC3M: https://reverb.com/item/30130271-yam...intage-natural
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM

So, to finish the story. We agreed on a price for the GC3 and that I would drive to meet in a city 3.5 hours away last Saturday. The seller wanted to know what route I was taking so that he could come to the other side of the city to shorten my time by 1/2-1 hour. I got up and left by 6am and emailed that I was leaving town. Subsequent emails remained unanswered.

Completely ghosted. Got to the city at 930. Nothing. Put the car back in gear at 130 and drove home. Never heard another word, and the craigslist ad had been deleted the night before which didn't seem strange since I had committed to buy. To say I was pissed is an understatement.

I found a 2013 Taylor 312 (essentially the identical guitar to the GC3) for a couple hundred more and purchased it last night on reverb. Now, I at least have the opportunity to keep this unknown from my son and will surprise him at Christmas. Hard to surprise a 15 year old anymore since they usually pick out their own gifts at that age. He is paying the first $630 (what the GC3 was going to be) with xmas money and his own money and I will pick up the rest. I think I will hide it in my case and ask him to get my guitar out and hand it to me on xmas morning. I wonder how long it will take him to notice.

Thanks all for your advice.
Todd

The look on his face will be awesome.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaboy86 View Post
I found a 2013 Taylor 312 (essentially the identical guitar to the GC3) for a couple hundred more and purchased it last night on reverb. Now, I at least have the opportunity to keep this unknown from my son and will surprise him at Christmas.
Thanks for "the rest of the story" and I have to add I'm massively p*ssed off on your behalf just reading your bad experience. There's possibly a 0.0001% chance he got in a car wreck on the way, or family became hospitalized. Mixup happen, but he's in for some serious karma rebound if he simply blew you off.

I once had a 312 and enjoyed the heck out of it, so I'm glad he ended up with one. Stretching the budget kinda sucks, but I've alway's felt that no-one ever complains about how much they paid for their favorite guitar. It's great that you two can share this great hobby together!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

312's are excellent guitars, very versatile, and I firmly believe sapele just gets better and better as its played.

excellent choice!
d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion