The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I never private messaged anyone in Youtube before and you can use an Adblock to block ads.
You've found a blocker that skips those pauses for ads that always show up in the middle of whatever Paul Davids video I'm watching? I would like to see that.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

On the other hand, the 44 tracks I have up at SoundCloud have never made me a dime, so I'll be ****ed if I'm going to pay for the privilege of them hosing them either.
Well said. I’d be more inclined to pay for Soundcloud if there was a legitimate way to promote your music to those who might be interested via the platform itself. As it stands unless I post links on other websites most of it goes unlistened.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 AM
Musical minimalist

Disregard - I posted some bad info!

Last edited by fitness1; 12-03-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I never private messaged anyone in Youtube before
Well, now you literally can't. I used to communicate privately with other YouTubers with relative frequency. It was nice.

Quote:
and you can use an Adblock to block ads.
I have what I believe to be one of the most sophisticated privacy-oriented browsers (with built-in ad-blocking) available to the general user. Google and their subsidiaries (i.e. YouTube) quite frankly set the bar for such ad-blockers to measure themselves against. If you try using e.g. the YouTube software on mobile devices, you'll find there's no alternative to wasting your attention on skipping free trial "offer" dialogues.

Keeping the lights on is something that I can empathize with. Google's YouTube is far from being in the "Red" (). My opinion is that the entire platform has become more of a nuisance than a resource, to the point where I avoid it as much as possible. YMMV.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:31 AM

Another issue with Soundcloud - the bots and scam artists. Too many to count. The second you put a song up some bot or scammer will PM you trying to get you to part with money for additional plays. One "talent scout" reposted one of my songs and I got 110 plays during a short period, I'm not convinced for a second these were real plays as there was no criticism or positive comments/likes on the song at all and none of the plays were from the USA which accounts for the bulk of the user base in my experience.

Unless Soundcloud gets their stuff together why should I pay?

Old 12-03-2019, 07:10 AM

I've never used soundcloud. I use box.net for my recorded media and do not seek to gain financially from it.

As for YouTube, I do not see it as an option. It pretty much ceased being about end users when Google bought it in 2006. The current crop of "content creators" and "influencers" have been lulled into a false sense of entitlement through the advertisement revenue sharing model but still treat it like it's a public library when it's really not. This current COPPA flap is just another excuse for the culling of content that is objectionable to advertisers under the guise of the government cracking down on child predators.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:42 AM

The one thing not mentioned yet:
Soundcloud is going to allow lossless files - no more SC compression of your WAV, FLAC or (shudder) MP3s to their format. The compression wasn't too bad with WAVs, but could really mess up an MP3 that has a lot of compression on it.
Comments about others clicking on links is very valid. I generally only use SC for demos these days, like when having others listen to a mix, or for FAWM.
There is a community of SC users who 'friend' and listen to others' songs, but I don't consider it a valuable tool to get your music listened to.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-05-2019, 03:30 PM
AGF Administrator

SoundCloud is backtracking on the changes:

https://blog.soundcloud.com/2019/12/...ing-on-monday/

Quote:
For the last 12 years, SoundCloud has been the destination for millions of artists around the world like you to upload, share and find what’s next in music. Our mission is to empower you with the best tools to build and grow your career on your own terms, and to foster a community where creativity can thrive.

Earlier this week, we announced our intention to change our upload limit. We’ve spent the last few days since the announcement listening to you, learning from what you’ve said, and reflecting about what makes SoundCloud special as an open platform that helps creators of all types express themselves.

And we heard you. We’ve decided not to roll out the change to our free upload limits and will continue to refine our balance of free and paid offerings to make the platform as creative and accessible as possible while building a sustainable business.
More at the link above...
Old 12-05-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
SoundCloud is backtracking on the changes:

https://blog.soundcloud.com/2019/12/...ing-on-monday/

More at the link above...
Ah nice! Good that common sense prevailed.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Anyone else get an email saying that as of December 9 free accounts will be limited to 15 tracks? Any good free alternatives?
ReverbNation? ReverbNation.com

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
ReverbNation? ReverbNation.com
I have a friend who uses them and says they are constantly badgering him for money.

I'm a fan of Soundcloud and hope they can survive. It's a great resource for writers/musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

I like SC because we can embed the player here to share music, but for $1 I can distribute a tune for a year on 6 streaming services through Reverbnation and I have made a couple of bucks back ()

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Ah nice! Good that common sense prevailed.
The bigger issue is whether good business sense prevailed. Only time will tell if this decision actually constitutes common sense for this company.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
The bigger issue is whether good business sense prevailed. Only time will tell if this decision actually constitutes common sense for this company.
This is what I hope that they can find a compromise that doesn't overly burden the users but at the same time keeps their business sustainable. We have been spoiled with unlimited access to many free services on the Internet and somewhere down the line, changes have to be made to keep things going.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
2nd point is of course true, and it's unclear how SoundCloud makes money.

On the other hand, the 44 tracks I have up at SoundCloud have never made me a dime, so I'll be ****ed if I'm going to pay for the privilege of them hosing them either.
um... like every free service, they sell your personal data. if the product is free, YOU are the product.

agree with the earlier poster - don't understand why people expect everything in life to be free. you use a service, pay for the service. if you don't like paying for it, then start your own and let others use it for free.

“Out of dialogue with others comes rhetoric. Out of dialogue with yourself comes poetry.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion