The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
Taylor gave me a brand new Baby Taylor neck to replace mine when the headstock snapped off. I told 'em up front I bought the guitar used and would be happy to pay for one but they insisted it was a manufacturing defect (faultily-glued finger joint) and they preferred not charge me.

Now THAT'S customer service.

The irony is the day I went to the shop to whom they sent the replacement neck was the day I discovered the Collings CJ that I had to later sell my Taylor 910 to fund...
So that's 2 free repairs to used guitars from a manufacturer who otherwise had NO obligation to do so. Come on all you Martin owners, where's YOUR free repair story? As a reminder this thread drift was me simply responding to the comment "It is unlikely that any manufacturer will repair a guitar for free for a non-original owner." Apparently Taylor Guitars isn't just "any manufacturer".
Old 12-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Yep - my Martin is from 2014 and also has the white binding separating - especially along the waist. But I got it used so figured I just need to put up with it. Still sounds great of course!
Old 12-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My Martin repair story isn't from the 2015 models and it was not a used guitar but it does concern binding. My 1991 Martin M-38 had the white plastic binding start to separate from the edge of the fret board in 2002. I lived with it until I decided to see if I could get it repaired in 2003. The dealer asked me a few questions about how I stored the instrument and the environment that I kept the guitar in. He gave it a thorough inspection and called Martin. They said the repair was covered under the warranty. It surprised me actually because it had been so long but the guitar was in pristine condition in every other respect.

I think a lot of these repair situations can depend on the dealer and how they describe the situation to Martin. Now, if you are not the original owner, well that may be another story.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Sorry to see that you had a problem with your guitar.
You should have called Martin and talked to someone rather than just sending emails.

I have not heard anything about binding issues on Martin guitars before your post.
Please show me where all these problems are being discussed.
Here ya go... this is one of many.

https://umgf.com/is-binding-seperati...s-t193556.html
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post

It is unlikely that any manufacturer will repair a guitar for free for a non-original owner.

I am curious, though; did the cost of the repair plus the cost of the used guitar still amount to a good deal? If so, maybe you could just move on.
Although not a guitar i sold a lovepedal to someone. Board went bad. They fixed it for free.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Default Some background

Out of curiosity I typed

martin binding problem

(no quotation marks) into google search & got a hit right away to a 7-page thread on the unofficial forum for Martin guitars.

From that it does seem to be a fairly widespread problem on guitars from the early to mid 20teens (there was a mention of binding separation on a 1972 guitar but that's probably not related).

I didn't see a definite agreement on the source of the binding separation, but it seems to have been something in the combination of binding material ("Boltaron") and the glue used at that time. No mention of any sort of official statement from the manufacturer.

The original purchasers who posted there were as far as I could tell unanimous that Martin had repaired their guitars under warranty. I didn't see any posts from owners of Martins bought used.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:08 PM

Does anyone have a photo of the binding issue in question?

I'm asking because, just out of curiosity, I looked at my DCPA4-Siris and noticed (for the very first time) the binding at the waist seems to have a little squeeze out of what appears to be super glue. The binding is not as flush there as it is on the bouts of the top. I have no idea at all if this is the same issue being talked about here but it is interesting...

The Martin serial number look up site says mine is from 2012 so this is probably not related at all but still...

Interesting, no??
PJ
Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 PM

Honestly I wouldn’t expect any guitar manufacturer to say.......yes, let us fix that 6 and a half year old used guitar that you bought from some guy second hand with zero idea how it’s been taken care of....for free.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
The original purchasers who posted there were as far as I could tell unanimous that Martin had repaired their guitars under warranty. I didn't see any posts from owners of Martins bought used.
And that's just what I'd expect Martin to do: honor their warranty. In the OP's case, he bought the guitar second-hand and as we all know, second-hand Martins come with no warranty. You buy it on the cheap and you assume the risk that you may have to pay for repairs one day that may have been covered under warranty for the original owner. The OP bought a Martin guitar but he did not buy a guitar from Martin. He paid no money to Martin so I don't see how Martin is in the wrong here.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

You are continuing to cry over spilled milk. You bought a used guitar without a warranty. Martin doesn’t extend the warranty to the second owner. I don’t understand why you think they owe you something. It doesn’t matter if there’s a consistent defect or a one-off defect. The warranty applies only to the original owner. Martin owes you nothing, and I’m frankly surprised you’re still lambasting them about the same thing.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:14 PM

Thank you for the update David. I am going to close this thread now, as I think everyone has had their say.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion