The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2019, 09:40 PM

That's a great looker. More importantly, I hope she sounds as good, or better. But as a musician that's been married over 30 years, and never asked my wife what she thought of a guitar's looks, your not really saying you are buying guitars on what someone thinks of their looks are you? I'm being serious not snarky.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Congratulations on what looks to be a wonderful guitar.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 12-06-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
That's a great looker. More importantly, I hope she sounds as good, or better. But as a musician that's been married over 30 years, and never asked my wife what she thought of a guitar's looks, your not really saying you are buying guitars on what someone thinks of their looks are you? I'm being serious not snarky.
That is a good question and I will start by saying no but..... My wife has been a participant in most of my guitar purchases. I would say to the extent that I would be in the looking mode and she pushes me into the buying mode. She picked the Huss and Dalton from blind sound files comparing it to several other Huss and Daltons. It happened to be the same one I was picking and the most expensive. I didn't tell her which one I was leaning toward.

In this particular case, I was looking for a hard top to replace the Taylor GS Mini Hog. I decided after a few weeks searching and listening that several of the Martin Hogs would work but late in the search I started looking at the CEO-7 and the CEO-9. I decided the 7 with its Addy top was too similar to the guitars I already owned and the 9 with the Mango top was closer to what I originally planned to do. I listened to as many recording as I could find including one @gwlee7 posted in a recording thread here. The tone I heard from almost all the recording I had found was something I liked a lot. She listened as well and agreed on the tone.

End result was her choice was the same as mine and it makes life a whole lot easier. So no on buying for looks but I will admit I am a sucker for striking wood and it's great when the guitar you pick for sound has that. I should also add that I am not a musician. Im an old retired guy that is developing a hobby out of something I did as a teenager many years ago. I really enjoy playing guitar again.

That's probably more than you wanted to hear but I thought it was a reasonable question.
2019 Martin CEO-9
Old 12-06-2019, 12:56 PM

That makes sense. Congrats again.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 PM

Congrats! I got one back in August and I absolutely love it. It's a seriously high quality instrument and has a lot of music in it, so to speak. It really gets you "in the zone" to write and create. It's just gorgeous and sounds absolutely lush --even on my iphone voice memo recorder. I can't wait to record it with proper studio gear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion