The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 AM

Default Pedal Steel in the house....

Its a loaner for a couple months (a friend needed a place to keep it while moving to a new house). Brought it home last night and set it up. What a cool instrument. Its a Sho-Bud model "The Professional" with two 10 string necks (C6 and E9), 8 pedals, and two knee levers.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:00 AM

a good exterminator may be in order.

1852 Dutch Barn
1895 Farmhouse
1964 Long Island Blonde
2002 Yellow Lab
Old 03-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Have fun . . . you've got to use both hands, both feet, and both knees to play this beast.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:25 PM

I know almost nothing about the things, but I doubt I'd get much sleep while I had it - I love trying to make decent music on new-to-me instruments, and that contraption should keep me occupied for days on end! Enjoy it while you can.

cotten
Old 03-14-2008, 08:57 AM

I'm making some headway on this thing. Figured out the tunings and what all the pedals and knee levers do.

The C6 neck seems better for chordal stuff, and the E9 seems better suited for cascading note runs and blues.

I have a grand total of 3 licks down (well, I have them "down" as long as I'm playing real slow) and its absolutely fun. If I can get another 15 - 20 licks down on each neck, I think I could make some music on this thing.

I'm playing in stereo to a '68 Bassman head w/ 2x15 cabinet and a Dr. Z Stang Ray head w/ 2X12 cabinet. Tone tone tone!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
The C6 neck seems better for chordal stuff, and the E9 seems better suited for cascading note runs and blues.
Almost anything you hear in country radio will be done on the E9 neck (aka, the "money neck" ).

When you hear something that sounds sorta "jazzy", it's probably being done on the C6 neck.

Although, with some of the REALLY good players, you'd never know which neck they're using if you weren't watching.

I've got a U12 pedal steel . . . twelve strings, and in "universal" (the U) tuning. It's most similar to the E9 neck, and is sometimes tuned an as "extended E9" neck. It's got more pedals on it than just a steel with just an E9 neck (or just a C6 neck).

PS: If you want some help learning this beast, head on over to http://www.steelguitarforum.com
Old 03-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I'm making some headway on this thing. Figured out the tunings and what all the pedals and knee levers do.

I have a grand total of 3 licks down (well, I have them "down" as long as I'm playing real slow) and its absolutely fun. If I can get another 15 - 20 licks down on each neck, I think I could make some music on this thing.

I'm playing in stereo to a '68 Bassman head w/ 2x15 cabinet and a Dr. Z Stang Ray head w/ 2X12 cabinet. Tone tone tone!
Hey... I'm very jealous!
That is a sweet looking doubleneck.
I've been visiting the steelguitar forum lately.
I have a wedding I need to pay for this summer, so my dreams of getting a pedal steel are on hold..
Keep posting so I can live through your experiences!!!
Steve
BC Rich B 28 acoustic 1973
Godin A8 Mandolin
Rittenberry SD10 pedal steel guitar
Gretsch Black Falcon 2009
Fender Jazzmaster
Martin Nylon folk guitar 1962

FM9 guitar modeler

www.stevehotramusic.com
Old 03-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Best Instrument EVER Invented !!

Al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments